Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't understand Follower mission success chances

They make no sense. What kind of formula is being used? Are traits prioritized far more than level? I want as many salvage boxes as I can get, so I send every follower on missions, even if the success chance goes down to the 60s and 50s. I see shit like this several times a day:

So even if the success chance is low, I'll keep sending them, because clearly the system doesn't give a flying fartsicle about math. Or maybe it does? I don't know, it doesn't make sense to me.

Why do I sometimes fail missions with 85%, even 90, I've seen a 90 fail, and then succeed with missions in the 60s and 50s? Is it really just flipping a coin 100 times and counting?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    An 85% Success chance is still a 15% Failure chance.

You rolled poor RNG on one, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    TWhy do I sometimes fail missions with 85%, even 90, I've seen a 90 fail, and then succeed with missions in the 60s and 50s? Is it really just flipping a coin 100 times and counting?
    85% chance of success = 15% chance of failure ...
    60% chance of failure = 40% chance of success.

I think the trait counters play a big part. Ive hard high level characters that couldn't counter anything have a success rate of 86% fail but then someone that counters it with a lower success % succeeds. Or it's a coin flip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because 85%-90% does not equal 100%

A small chance to fail is still a chance to fail.

Hey....How did you make yours look like that :O
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's purely luck then, it's not that traits play a bigger role or anything.
    [/url]

It's kind of funny that you criticize Blizzard's system while simultaneously posting this. For some reason, statistics is one of the most misunderstood areas of math on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a 99% chance to succeed fail before. The chances of me failing that is the same chances of me getting a mount off Elegon or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishy View Post
    Addon called 'Master Plan'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrison Mission Manager, Master Plan and Breeze.
    [/url]

Traits do play a big role in your overall success rate, especially when you have to set up a group to counter targets with multiple affixes. You just have to deal with the fact that a success isn't guaranteed unless it's at 100% and you aren't going to automatically fail unless the chance is at 0%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperviable View Post
    It's kind of funny that you criticize Blizzard's system while simultaneously posting this. For some reason, statistics is one of the most misunderstood areas of math on the internet.
    I wasn't trying to criticize, just confused and wondering if follower traits or level played a bigger role in deciding if they'd succeed or fail beyond the success rate presented.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an Add-on called "Master Plan"

Great add-on that reshuffles mission order based on success % and shows you the best followers for each mission.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Addon called 'Master Plan'.
    You can also use Garrison Mission Manager for more information about things like follower traits and things. I run both and haven't had any conflicts yet.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Counters are critical. If you send a follower on a mission and that follower counters the trait of the NPC *AND* your follower is the same level or higher, you have 100% chance to succeed. If your follower is a low-level than the mission you have some chance to fail... the farther below the mission level the less chance of success.

Conversely, if you can't counter something but can send a high level on a low level mission you'll be more likely to succeed than if you sent a same level follower.

The other thing is that some followers have traits that aren't apibility counters but that give them a better than average chance against certain mobs. I think it's Mialli that has a trait that increases her odds against orcs. Some have better odds against elementals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I wasn't trying to criticize, just confused and wondering if follower traits or level played a bigger role in deciding if they'd succeed or fail beyond the success rate presented.
    Followers who counter abilities increase success rate. All missions have a chance to fail but those without counters have a higher chance to fail

Ive had a 100% mission fail so yeah the game doesn't care bout the numbers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    Ive had a 100% mission fail so yeah the game doesn't care bout the numbers
    Sure you did.

I typically prioritize missions that I need (weapon/armor upgrades, stones, epic gear). Then I prioritize bonus exp to lvl. Then if I have left over followers I send them on worthless missions (gold/resources). This ensures you get what you need, lvl followers the fastest, and lose the least important missions.

Edit: I've had 80-90% missions fail and 50% missions succeed. It all about maxing your gains and limiting your losses. If a mission is important wait until you can get 100% chance, if it's not important throw someone on it and eh.
    Last edited by Ahhdurr; 2014-12-04 at 02:44 AM.