$2.5k budget Need Advice Please

So I've been on a Macbook Pro 17" for 5-6 years and its reaching its limits. So i've decided to convert to a PC and try building a computer for the long run. Only recently I haven't had much time to research more about the parts and everything. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to build a gaming computer + work computer ( I paint a lot in Photoshop).

Budget: $2,500
    Games / Settings Desired: Ultra on all Blizzard games and other games like GW2, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc.
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: I'm a digital artist/illustrator that primarily works digitally so I do a lot of work in Photoshop CS6. Also considering 3D in the future so I want something that can also perform great in 3D programs (Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush, Cinema 4D)
    I don't have any reusable parts.
    Do you need an OS? Yes. Windows 7 or 8.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? The monitor is a concern because I need something that has dead accurate color and resolution. Is there a monitor for PC that is comparable to Macs Thunderbolt Display or better? I don't have a keyboard or speakers.

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    While the Mac displays are decent, they're the equivalent of a normal 2560x1440 glossy W-LED monitor with factory calibration.

Monitor wise, you're looking at something more on the lines of Eizo Color Edge or NEC Professional Arts depending on how much you go about it.
    It also depends on what work flow / environment you're using your work for.

Amusingly, the cheapest and good Color Edge is this.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4_ips_lcd.html
    http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/c...240/index.html

It is a 10bit and provides a 16bit LUT with DisplayPort due to being the only connection to support the bandwidth.
    The 10bit + 16bit will make for great color accuracy as your monitor has the ability to process more.
    It also has a wide gamut backlight to take advantage of the Adobe RGB color range.
    An ASIC DUE chip great for temperature and color uniformity throughout the screen.

Here's the but aside from being expensive as hell.

If you're working all digital no print, then the above is practically useless aside from the 10bit + 16bit LUT, but only for you. The color accuracy will be great for the aforementioned but remember, unless in some magical land everyone and the internet adopts 10bit+ monitors, it is not going to matter to your audience.
    Anything that goes online immediately becomes an standard RGB format though the color profile can be kept inside the image if you want. The Adobe RGB will also cause over saturation in normal content however practically all of these monitors have a sRGB emulation.

If you're working digitally and printing your work, then ignore everything about the but.

If you aren't, then something more simplistic like GW2765HT with a i1Display Pro colorimeter would suit your needs more.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht
    It is going for $345 which is holy shit cheap for what you get.
    Colorimeter is $200-250 for a good one.

Anyways, system build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.97 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($123.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1285.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 13:23 EST-0500

Add the price of the monitor which is either $350 + $200 (colorimeter) or a flat $850 price.
    If you're going for the 2560x1440 a 980 would be a consideration considering it is within budget, but the increase isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($123.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1285.07
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 13:23 EST-0500

Add the price of the monitor which is either $350 + $200 (colorimeter) or a flat $850 price.
    Since your budget allows it, I would upgrade to an i7 because of the photoshop work. The CPU cooler is nice, but really not needed unless he plans on doing a ton of overclocking. Something less expensive would suffice.

Everything else I agree with though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's a consideration. i7 actually is really great for processing large images. A cheaper cooler as simple as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would work.

OP should upgrade to i7 and either use stock cooling (unless u plan on overclocking) or get a cheaper cooler. IMO Corsair makes the best, most reliable PSUs so I would consider switching to their brand. Everything else is solid, but personally I like Asus for mobos. Good system man have fun with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair does not make the best reliable PSUs. Their high ends aren't bad, but their more sane ones are not that great. They're CWT which is okay but their QC is somewhat lacking.

SeaSonic is a great OEM and manufacturer. Delta is also great but you're going to be hard pressed to find lower watt ones. Antec would be dealing with both SeaSonic and Delta which is a consideration, however Delta would again, be the high end ones.

Deleted
    This is the full build I'd propose:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.05 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Tachyon 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($518.19 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS Meka Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
    Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $2278.28
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 15:14 EST-0500

The two primary things I'm unsure of are the monitor (as that's not really my best thing) and the keyboard (which is down to personal preference). IMO, it's worth it to get the i7 for your primary purposes, and I changed the HDD to the AV series from WD. I initially considered getting one of the X99 chipset i7s, but that went out the window as it pushed you considerbaly over budget for the relevant parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the monitor isn't bad, for professional work it is lacking a bit.
    It fits under the it was good for the time, but now its mediocre when there are better.

What monitor do you recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeDub View Post
    What monitor do you recommend?
    It'd be nice if you created another thread and not try to hijack a thread.
    Especially the profession in question is a lot more specific than the average user.

Sorry for the late response! Thank you so much for all this you basically answered all my questions. I do sometimes print my own work out for conventions and so on, thats why the monitor was such a concern when switching from Mac to PC.

But as for the CPU I think I might go with an i7 instead because of the photoshop work I primarily do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then yes, a CS240 would be more applicable and the i7 is a good choice.

Edit: Do note for printing, you need to either have the proper printer or have whomever is printing at a shop to print using the proper color profile.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-12-08 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Then yes, a CS240 would be more applicable and the i7 is a good choice.

Edit: Do note for printing, you need to either have the proper printer or have whomever is printing at a shop to print using the proper color profile.
    I usually print on my schools campus printing facility and they always have someone around to assist in the setting up the color profile.

I just got everything ordered and eagerly awaiting arrival of the parts thanks again so much for your help!

As a crazy added bonus I got assassin's creed unity for free with the purchase of the graphics card. :O