Any updates to Unicorn?

I've decided to pull the trigger on a new PC. I plan with going with the Unicorn build, but that post was a month an a half old (and I assume based on the mentioned frequency almost ready for update), is there any adjustments I should be making here last minute to components before I shell out a bunch of money?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any reason not to just go through Amazon for everything?

Are you talking about the Unicorn build on this page?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

No, the one is a month newer the title of the post was "1613507-Ko-ragh-Preview-Arthas-Costume-Hotfix-Blue-Tweets-Setup-of-the-Month-DLC"

I'd post the link, but it won't let me until I post more I guess...*sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, seems like the power supply is sold out on amazon and new egg...any recommendations for a replacement power supply?

- - - Updated - - -

The power supply definitely seems to be a c-block...anyone have a better recommendation than "CORSAIR HXi HX750i (CP-9020072) 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Corsair CP-9020072 Power Supply"

Again, I'd post the link but I can't.

Here's a link.

Honestly, I've seen Kostatoo (sp?), Notarget and Arbiter make several builds that I'd call superior to this one. But without knowing your budget or needs, it's hard to say.

Here's an example: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30898844
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Just curious, Superior in what way?

The WD Black is faster, but it's not going to be faster than a SSD. For the price difference you could buy a larger SSD and pick up a WD Blue. You're likely going to put your OS and most-played games on your SSD anyways, so a faster HDD won't benefit the most-used parts of your experience.

16 gigs of RAM is nice, but you likely won't use more than half of it unless you're a guy who has to have 100 Chrome tabs, 3 versions of WoW, and a movie streaming simultaneously.

Deleted
    Havent looked at the setups of the month lately, but they turned to crap real fast.
    I assume you have a 1500 dollar budget, so I will whip something up with that in mind and general gaming.

Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.65 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($354.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1237.66
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 15:54 EST-0500

I went for a blue/black scheme, and a pretty high end case. So we can easily shave around 100 dollars of this price without losing performance.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2014-12-04 at 08:55 PM.

Deleted
    The GPU is pre-order at that price, otherwise it's $370. You can pick up the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 for $350

G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 $78

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro is $50 less, it's missing LED lights and a few other minor things.

Either money saved or almost enough for an i7-4790k

Pro vs Luxe case:

This is great stuff, thanks guys!

Deleted
    You could also consider Define R5 as the case, it's quite boring but I am quite content with my Define R4 and R5 fixes the issues I have with this older model.

But indeed, investing more on CPU than you would by buying 4690k is just plain excessive for gaming use. Same goes for 16 gigs of ram. The unicorn build is basically for people with more money than sense.

I see a lot of recommendations in the forums for the Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive...just curious why you like it over the Samsung drive recommended in the original post. I've had some SSDs go out on me (after a couple months) but have had very good luck with Samsung, so do you consider these as reliable? Is there any reason to go with the Samsung over the Crucial?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AyeDub View Post
    I see a lot of recommendations in the forums for the Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive...just curious why you like it over the Samsung drive recommended in the original post. I've had some SSDs go out on me (after a couple months) but have had very good luck with Samsung, so do you consider these as reliable? Is there any reason to go with the Samsung over the Crucial?
    The MX100 is slower on paper, but you will not notice this in practice. Second it has power safe capacitors, which is better than the system the EVO drives uses. The EVO series uses the TLC instead of MLC. TLC is of lower quality compared to MLC (again, probably wont really notice the difference). But mainly, the price. It is cheaper and has some better quality systems in place. For me it is a no-brainer.

Deleted
    I've had Crucial on par with the Samsung for a couple of generations now but latest firmware issues and performance drops with the 840 EVO makes the Crucial drive my go to.

If I go with the ASUS Z97-A, what do you guys recommend for wifi it doesn't seem like it comes with wifi built in..

Deleted
    Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I Dual Band, ac.