Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do Youtubers and Lets Plays Influence Your Gaming?

As the title states, do youtubers and lets plays influence the choice of games you play?

Honestly for me... once the holidays come up, because of Pro Jared I will be getting Monster Hunter for Wii U, he looks like he really enjoys it and his lets plays of it were very entertaining and truthful to what the game is like, and I like the idea of it.

Because of PBG (peanut butter gamer) and his hard core plays of Minecraft I am going to follow the bandwagon (late I know) and pick up minecraft for my laptop.

I may even get a cheap old pokemon game to do a nuzlocke challenge because I enjoyed watching ProJareds.

Do youtubers influence your choice in games? To me its just lovable nerds giving previews and I love it. Makes me want to go on an adventure.... yeeeaaahhhhhhhh

15+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. I wont watch a Let's Play if I have any interest in the game though, don't want it spoiled. Not that I watch many to begin with

10+ Year Old Account
    To me its just nice to have a preview and they tend to not spoil to much (especially when its a much newer game... if the games like over 10 years old or by nintendo... you likely will already know how it ends)

Not really, i don´t enjoy watching other people play games unless it´s the AVGN but that´s mostly because it´s an entertaining show/dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (especially when its a much newer game... if the games like over 10 years old or by nintendo... you likely will already know how it ends)
    Don´t go there because it just makes you look clueless

Not usually no. I do sometimes pick up a game that looks fun that the guy is playing (like what happened with Smite), but most of the time i just buy games "by myself".

10+ Year Old Account
    Got to say though I never would have considered monster hunter before seeing Pro Jared talk about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by koyz View Post
    Not really, i don´t enjoy watching other people play games unless it´s the AVGN but that´s mostly because it´s an entertaining show/dude.

- - - Updated - - -

But Mario always beats Boweser! Its a joke man, lighten up lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koyz View Post
    Always skeptical of new posters, but I can tell you'll fit right in. Have you found your way to the off-topic section yet?

Pretty much the only lets plays i watch are horror games, because i know i'm too much of a pussy to play them.
    Corpse party in particular. good story but *shudder*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Always skeptical of new posters, but I can tell you'll fit right in. Have you found your way to the off-topic section yet?
    A new poster? welcome to the club then!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Pretty much the only lets plays i watch are horror games, because i know i'm too much of a pussy to play them.
    Corpse party in particular. good story but *shudder*
    I also watch some videos about hyped games, but I think five nights at freddies is dumb.

Nope. Although some of the Game Grumps did make me want to try Sonic '06. But that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Nope. Although some of the Game Grumps did make me want to try Sonic '06. But that's about it.
    They made me want to rent Punch out for wii, there videos were just great for it.

Not one bit. I don't like Lets Plays and stuff like that. There's something about that whole YouTube thing that I find highly irritating. Two things I really can't stand: when people talk (especially when they're trying to be entertaining), and when they put some of their favorite shitty techno-crap/screamo metal/Dumbstep music in their gaming videos. It makes me close the browser immediately.

If I want to see gameplay footage, I try to find videos without commentary. I miss the days when we had demos of games. Can't go wrong with a demo.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2014-11-08 at 06:22 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly no. There have been a lot of YouTubers/Lets Players/Twitch Streamers/Whatevers that have hated games that I've thought were great, and really enjoyed games that I found to be horrible. Same thing with professional critics.

They're useful in that I can get a good look at actual gameplay and often times devs don't show off enough of that. My decision to buy/play games is based largely off of 2 things:

1) Does the gameplay look fun?
    2) What are actual users saying as far as balance (if applicable) and bugginess?

Yes definitely. If I am on the fence about a game I'll watch a couple of lets plays and sometimes I'll even get inspired to try out a new game from those videos.

Sometimes. For example whenever I'm interested in a game I watch a Let's Play real quick to get the feel of the game. However if the person I'm watching never shuts the hell up.. I'll just skip em and watch someone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Honestly no. There have been a lot of YouTubers/Lets Players/Twitch Streamers/Whatevers that have hated games that I've thought were great, and really enjoyed games that I found to be horrible. Same thing with professional critics.

They're useful in that I can get a good look at actual gameplay and often times devs don't show off enough of that. My decision to buy/play games is based largely off of 2 things:

1) Does the gameplay look fun?
    2) What are actual users saying as far as balance (if applicable) and bugginess?
    on count 2 is why I like Projared, hes fair to games he looks over.

Deleted
    Yes. Because I now prefer watching others play than playing the games myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do... Do I watch reviews? No. I watch gameplay because that's how i'll know if I'd like the game. Every now and then i'll read a review, but i'll take it with a grain of salt.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The only time I've been influenced by a LPer was HCBailly playing Radiant Historia. That made me instantly go out and buy the game.