Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Engineering, the only profession with combat bonus?

So, Nitro Boosts were originally nerfed to 70%, but are now reverted to 150%. They trigger the potion CD, but often you won't be using the potion CD anyway.

Nitro Boosts originally seemed like they'd be a free Swiftness Potion, but is now far stronger. What gives? Anyone who knows Blizzard's stance on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant think of a fight where people wont be using the potion.

Working as intended

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Cant think of a fight where people wont be using the potion.
    BGs, leveling, questing in general and normal/heroic dungeons. The point is that Engineering gives an option for a 150% speed boost instead of potion, and NO other profession has anything similar. Engineering is the only profession that gives any kind of profession specific bonus, and I'm wondering why.

Engineering is the utility profession. Doesn't have much use for money making, sans the occasional patch item like Sky Golem.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    BGs, leveling, questing in general and normal/heroic dungeons. The point is that Engineering gives an option for a 150% speed boost instead of potion, and NO other profession has anything similar. Engineering is the only profession that gives any kind of profession specific bonus, and I'm wondering why.
    Because it's fucking useless otherwise :P

Really except from the helm that becomes redundant soon (spoiler alert: LW'ers can also craft helms on top of shoulders, cloaks, chests, bracers, gloves, belts, legs and boots), the only thing you can make is toys, pets and another jeeves.

Eurgh I made a bad choice carrying engineering into WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Engineering is the utility profession. Doesn't have much use for money making, sans the occasional patch item like Sky Golem.
    And this is a reason to make it BiS for anyone who cares about performance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Because it's fucking useless otherwise :P

Really except from the helm that becomes redundant soon (spoiler alert: LW'ers can also craft helms on top of shoulders, cloaks, chests, bracers, gloves, belts, legs and boots), the only thing you can make is toys, pets and another jeeves.

Eurgh I made a bad choice carrying engineering into WoD.
    Extremely easy to use alts to make gold, meaning that if you care about your main's performance, Engineering is the profession to go for.

And this is a reason to make it BiS for anyone who cares about performance?

- - - Updated - - -

Extremely easy to use alts to make gold, meaning that if you care about your main's performance, Engineering is the profession to go for.
    BiS doesn't factor into activities that are not rigorously competitive like random BGs, heroics and leveling. In every other case a dps pot etc is better. Also rocket boots only go 150% out in the world everywhere else its 70%

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing you listed is considered endgame content. Considering only endgame you cant use either in arena/RBGs and Potions far outweigh the sprint in raids. Seems like a total non-issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmina View Post
    BiS doesn't factor into activities that are not rigorously competitive like random BGs, heroics and leveling. In every other case a dps pot etc is better. Also rocket boots only go 150% out in the world everywhere else its 70%
    Are you sure about this? I'm sure it's 150% in old instances (boosting), but I haven't tried in Draenor stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Nothing you listed is considered endgame content. Considering only endgame you cant use either in arena/RBGs and Potions far outweigh the sprint in raids. Seems like a total non-issue to me.
    If you can't see how "best anywhere except raids or serious PvP" is a problem, when no profession has a bonus whatsoever, then yeah. I don't know what to tell you.

Alchemy still gives you double-duration flasks! OMG, combat bonus, nerf...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Alchemy still gives you double-duration flasks! OMG, combat bonus, nerf...
    Nope, not a combat bonus. Convenience, nothing else.

Deleted
    Things that help meaningless content aren't exactly gamebreaking, are they? Players obviously use pots in rated pvp and raiding. Plus Nitro Boosts often backfire, causing you to either fly up into the air or take damage and apply a dot to yourself that will kill you without cds/healing.
    Last edited by mmoc9ee0266273; 2014-12-05 at 02:13 PM.

Deleted
    what about the alchemy trinket? 40% more mana and health per pot. as a some times healer that's alot of mana for just 1 click (i miss divine plea)

Are you sure about this? I'm sure it's 150% in old instances (boosting), but I haven't tried in Draenor stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't see how "best anywhere except raids or serious PvP" is a problem, when no profession has a bonus whatsoever, then yeah. I don't know what to tell you.
    You're easily one of the least subtle trolls on MMO-C.
    Movement speed pots are more or less better than rocket boots in every way.

10+ Year Old Account

Because sometimes things gotta stay unique. I know players like you like to suck the creative and uniqueness out of games and the content but come on...this thread is fucking ridiculous.

Assuming that it's actually back up to 150%, you could call it the only profession with a combat bonus, but only barely. Putting it on the potion CD is a nerf that basically kills it stone dead for any serious progression-type stuff.

As far as I can gather from what Blizzard has said, they wanted to transition nitro boosts to be sellable enchants or consumables but didn't come up with a solution that they were happy with. They didn't want to outright remove it either, so they just gutted it in a way that it's still useful but not in a way that is meaningful for min-maxing. It's important to note that the speed nerf and duration change mean that swiftness potions yield a very similar if not the same effect to the boosts thanks to sharing the same cooldown. In a raid context, anything where the nitro boosts' speed ends up being useful will just see potions used instead to get away from the fail chance. Not that I can really envision people using swiftness potions over classic DPS pots in the first place.

If anything, it's a bit weird that it still has a chance to backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by zdarr View Post
    what about the alchemy trinket? 40% more mana and health per pot. as a some times healer that's alot of mana for just 1 click (i miss divine plea)
    This replaces another trinket. Not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    You're easily one of the least subtle trolls on MMO-C.
    Movement speed pots are more or less better than rocket boots in every way.
    How are they? Nitro Boosts are 150% for 5 sec, Draenic Swiftness Potion is 70% for 7 sec, as far as I know. I know you want to try to be condescending, but could you at least do that by having an actual argument?

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Because sometimes things gotta stay unique. I know players like you like to suck the creative and uniqueness out of games and the content but come on...this thread is fucking ridiculous.
    I'd completely agree, if other professions had any kind of bonus. They do not. Only Engineering does.

Deleted
    Sounds like another entitled kid who is too lazy to level the profession despite apparently caring so much about min/maxing. Get over it or do something about it.

Mod Edit: Please post constructively.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2014-12-05 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UniBlue View Post
    Sounds like another entitled kid who is too lazy to level the profession despite apparently caring so much about min/maxing. Get over it or do something about it.
    While I understand that some people want to pretend like Blizzard can never do anything wrong, I wish they'd keep that kind of stuff to themselves and think rationally every once in a while.