Thread: PC - Uh Oh :(

PC - Uh Oh :(

My computer is no longer functioning: I feel naked and alone, and I'm losing my mind.

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 R
    CPU: i5 - 4670K 3.4G 4C 6M
    MEM: KST KHX 1600C9D3K2/8GX RT
    GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 770
    PS: Corsair GS700

Initial signs of the problem: Minimized a program earlier in the day, which left a "ghost like" image of the program on the monitor. As the program was still 5-6 inches above the desktop taskbar, it appeared to stay in that position, even though the program was actually minimized. I could not interact with this graphical ghost image. I ended up getting it go away on a reboot. Later on in the day, after playing some Diablo III, I took a break and left the computer on for a few hours. When I came back, the entire computer was frozen. I personally couldn't do anything. Upon reboot, I get nothing but fans running. Some motherboard lights flashed green, others were red. Then upon messing with the components, a static charge produced an audible snap and a visible spark on my MB near the RAM.

Things to note: My initial guess was CPU or motherboard issue. After the spark/snap, Im assuming its definitely become at least a motherboard issue now. But what about the CPU? When I removed the CPU, the heatsink fans were clogged with at least half an inch of dust encasing the entire sink/fan structure (embarrassing). The thermal paste looked moist and had a good spread.

What I'm requesting: I don't have another rig to test my components in. I'm not particularly handy with computers, this was the first one I had built. I don't want to spend too long trying to diagnose this. I'm willing to buy new parts to ensure this thing gets up and running, even if I don't necessarily need the new part. (Because we can't be sure what's wrong). The parts do not have to be an upgrade. I currently only play Diablo III, and League of Legends, with a potential return to WoW always looming for ex - addicts. But I do want to run those games on "higher" settings.

If you guys could give me your hunch or initial instinct I'd really appreciate it. Maybe list a component or two you'd replace to keep running my current games at high settings and almost totally ensure that the issue is resolved. If I've not followed a forum guideline, I apologize. Thanks in advance for any help. (Does this forum have a points or reputation system to "pay back" helpful users?).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Visible spark? Umm... was it when you went to touch the motherboard/components? Be honest here.

There's no points system.

I'll go ahead and say though, you're very likely going to have to buy some new parts... hopefully only one or two things got damaged and not everything, however I wonder if that PSU had anything to do with this. I hope you know to touch the inside of your computer case/be careful with socks/rug floor and touching your computer parts. =S Are you having really dry weather where you're from right now? How recently did you build the computer and how long has it been since you've opened it/cleaned it out?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I do know to be careful of static discharge when opening up the PC. I was hoping my post made it clear that this spark/pop occurred AFTER the initial problem, and was almost certainly caused by my negligence. (Frustration and impatience led to my mistake while the case was open.) The computer was built approx. a year and a half ago. Im leaning towards just ponying up and buying a MB and CPU. Reusing my case, HD, GPU, and PS. I could feasibly convince a friend to let me borrow his PS and use it to test in my rig. I had a power supply fail on my earlier desktop and the symptoms were different. The computer just died, quickly and with no power afterwards, with none of the symptoms my current rig experienced. I'm assuming from your post that power supplies can partially fail? And produce the problems I was experiencing?

As a follow up question: Can the static charge that I stupidly subjected my PC to, affect components other than the MB?

I have been a computer tech for 30 years, and the only time I have ever seen CPUs fail is if they were repeatedly powered up with no cooling mechanism present. I would highly suggest that you try the current CPU in a new MB. If the thermal paste was still moist I really don't think the CPU was fried.

Thanks for the replies guys. If I were to run out and buy a motherboard now, would something like this be alright for my already listed components? Asus - Micro ATX Motherboard 1600/1333/1066MHz (Socket 1155)

I'd also like to mention that I'm not too worried about having duplicate parts. I'm planning on building another desktop in the near future for another person in my household. So going out and buying parts/trying things isn't the end of the world.

You need a Socket 1150 motherboard for your processor. Asus Z97-A is a good one if you have a mid-tower case, otherwise ASUS Z97M-PLUS would be a good choice.
    Last edited by apluscarp; 2014-12-05 at 08:49 PM.

Oh right, my mistake. I don't know why I was thinking 1155. Probably because I don't know what I'm doing. It's available on newegg, and I'll probably put an order in for it. Any recommendations for a power supply? I think I'll purchase a MB and power supply first and then I'll move forward from there if the PC still doesn't work. I do have a mid tower case.

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 is a good PSU, basically any 650-750 watt PSU by Rosewill, Seasonic or Thermaltake would be good.
    Last edited by apluscarp; 2014-12-05 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks for all of the advice apluscarp.

I'm bumping this one more time just to hear what any other experienced users think. Based on my symptoms, and the age/build of the machine, what would your initial gut suspicion be? You don't need to be right, or worry about saying the wrong thing. Just put it out there

The EVGA 500/600B and Antecs & XFX's are also good options.

And to me it sounds like something shorted and that generally means replacing it and praying it didn't fry everything else when it died.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

you can buy a PSU tester on amazon for 5 to 10 bucks....just plug the power from the psu thats normally powers the motherboard and switch on and see if it is good or bad. nice to have around and is cheaper then a PSU..

crystaldiskinfo will test your hard drive

memtest can test your memory....now adays you usually have a memory test in your bios...you want to test the memory one stick at a time.

uninstall your graphics card and try to use your onboard video.

once you rule out all your components then you goto the motherboard.....