Tectus: Keeping Shards Apart

I've read in several guides where they say that the shards from Tectus need to be tanked apart due to a gain in energy and damage done when together. Is this just inaccurate info? I saw no buffs on our kill last night indicating that there is a buff or any increase in damage from them being together so we just stacked and cleaved.

Here's our log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...9&type=summary

Deleted
    We kept them apart in normal too because we thought this is how the fight worked. After looking through the journal I can't see this ability at all so I'm not sure? It doesn't look like it's the case.

There is absolutely a buff on the boss. It looks like a little red teardrop and the tooltip says "buffs nearby allies" or some such.

It increases the rate at which accretion stacks generate.

Accretion only spreads to nearby allies on Mythic. You can, and should, be stacking them on all other difficulties.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 2014-12-05 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Accretion only spreads to nearby allies on Mythic (or if it does on Heroic and under, it's so trivially slow as to not matter). You can, and should, be stacking them on all other difficulties.
    It's definitely there on Normal.

You can certainly tank & heal through it but that didn't seem to be the question at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post

You can certainly tank & heal through it but that didn't seem to be the question at hand.
    In Mythic, Tectus himself and his Shards respawn at 20% health after being killed, and will add stacks of accretion to any other mobs near them. This does not happen in Normal/Heroic modes. Accretion will stack on Normal and Heroic if no one is attacking that mob, but will not stack faster if the mobs are tanked close together. Feel free to clump everything up on Normal/Heroic.

Take a look at our logs, I don't see any buff and there's nothing in the dungeon journal. Am I just missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Accretion only spreads to nearby allies on Mythic. You can, and should, be stacking them on all other difficulties.
    I would like a confirmation on this. I killed him last night with our guild and was 1 of the 2 tanks. Every attempt we tried to keep the adds spread as much as we could, but I can see how the fight would be much easier if both tanks can stack.

I as well saw no buff on Tectus or his adds about an increase of accretian stacking rate when tanking them close together.

Quote Originally Posted by trident00 View Post
    Take a look at our logs, I don't see any buff and there's nothing in the dungeon journal. Am I just missing it?
    Kerchunk is correct that there is a buff on the boss. The fact is, in Normal/Heroic, the boss will be dead when the shards and motes spawn, thus it is meaningless. In Mythic the boss respawns at 20% life with his adds. There you will have a problem if you stack everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlah View Post
    I would like a confirmation on this. I killed him last night with our guild and was 1 of the 2 tanks. Every attempt we tried to keep the adds spread as much as we could, but I can see how the fight would be much easier if both tanks can stack.

I as well saw no buff on Tectus or his adds about an increase of accretian stacking rate when tanking them close together.
    From the dungeon journal:

On Mythic difficulty, if any other Shards or Motes of Tectus are within 10 yds. of Tectus when he gains Accretion, they will also gain Accretion.
    No point in keeping them spread on anything lower than mythic because Tectus is never alive when the shards or motes are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    No point in keeping them spread on anything lower than mythic because Tectus is never alive when the shards or motes are.
    This makes so much more sense. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    That's an additional effect on Mythic. There is still the basic buff that applies accretion to ALL nearby allies and it's on every shard and mote that spawns.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trident00 View Post
    I assume it's not appearing in logs because it's just a permanent effect on the mobs so there is no "gain" or "loss" message in the combat log. It's just ever-present.

I can only tell you what I observed - an icon on the unitframe of Tectus, shards and motes that read "buffs nearby allies with..." and the anecdotal observation that I seemed to get a lot more Upheavals when I had all 4 motes on top of a shard vs. our final strategy which was one tank with 3 motes and the other with 1 mote + 1 shard.

That's an additional effect on Mythic. There is still the basic buff that applies accretion to ALL nearby allies and it's on every shard and mote that spawns.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume it's not appearing in logs because it's just a permanent effect on the mobs so there is no "gain" or "loss" message in the combat log. It's just ever-present.

I can only tell you what I observed - an icon on the unitframe of Tectus, shards and motes that read "buffs nearby allies with..." and the anecdotal observation that I seemed to get a lot more Upheavals when I had all 4 motes on top of a shard vs. our final strategy which was one tank with 3 motes and the other with 1 mote + 1 shard.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=162287
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=162658

That's what you're talking about. I assume the Shard of the Mountain tooltip is wrong because that's not how the fight works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Accretion is stacked periodically throughout the fight on the monster that casts it, and on nearby monsters. Damage done to the monster reduces their accretion stacks, so it's best to keep everything stacked up and cleave to keep their stacks at 0. We tried splitting them initially, but with no damage being done to the other shard, his accretion stacks began to build up. I have a feeling they'll be stacked even on mythic since you can nullify the stacks by cleaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    Accretion is stacked periodically throughout the fight on the monster that casts it, and on nearby monsters. Damage done to the monster reduces their accretion stacks, so it's best to keep everything stacked up and cleave to keep their stacks at 0. We tried splitting them initially, but with no damage being done to the other shard, his accretion stacks began to build up. I have a feeling they'll be stacked even on mythic since you can nullify the stacks by cleaving.

Nah, they're right. Reviewing normal logs, Accretion only applies to the caster - it's never hitting nearby allies.

So, just to make sure I have this right since people keep going back and forth - you can stack for normal/heroic, just not mythic, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Forumchibi View Post
    So, just to make sure I have this right since people keep going back and forth - you can stack for normal/heroic, just not mythic, correct?
    Since nobody has done the fight on Mythic it's impossible to tell whether the mechanic still exists there or not - based on the tooltip it was supposed to be active in every difficulty level.

But to clarify, yes. You can safely stack the shards & motes.

You can see for yourself on any log of the fight, like here.

Notice how each mob's Accretion buff only ever applies to itself. You never see "Mote of Tectus 2 gains Accretion from Mote of Tectus 1" or anything like that.

Thanks for the confirmation guys, get your cleave on.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrubeyubq View Post
    It increases the rate at which accretion stacks generate.
    What does? Stacking mobs? No it doesn't. Read the thread dude.