Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    The bolded ones you can't say are 'garrison chores' and the rest of your list literally takes 5-10 minutes to do (minus the weekly mission, but those are quests and fall in the same category as dungeons.

Seriously, 5-10minutes MAX. What's to complain about?
    How soon people forget the amount of dailies in early MOP, and how terrible it was. Daily garrison activities aren't nearly as bad.

Well, I think they're mandatory in the sense that you can't progress from 90-100 without building one (because you have to do that initial "plant the flag" thing before you can pick up any quests beyond there), but you don't have to actually use it beyond that point/when you reach level 100.

Although....I'd say you're really gimping yourself if you don't use it.

edit: Actually....now that I've put some thought into this, I suppose you _could_ just skip the quest at level 90 where you have to plant the flag and build your garrison. But again, I don't think you can pick up any quests beyond that without doing it first. So you'd have to grind mobs to 100 without being able to pick up any quests. I guess it'd be similar to how that one dude got a neutral Pandaren all the way to 90 in MoP and never left the starting zone.

Might be an interesting idea if you want a challenge or are otherwise a masochist, I guess. I'd imagine that having to grind stuff with no garrison or outposts would increase the difficulty a bit.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-12-09 at 04:43 PM.

Take any crafting profession and its limited-supply mats, e.g. Hexweave. There are 3 ways to obtain it:
    - profession daily CD (1/day to 10/day @ max profession level, on average 5)
    - garrison WO (6/day to 12/day with full bonus)
    - buy with spirits (unreliable so not factoring in)

You need 100-150 of this mat to craft anything. So having vs. not having appropriate garrison building translates to: 8 vs. 50 days to just craft ONE item, on average.

Hmm...yes they are mandatory if you have a profession and don't want to waste time.

The gold you can make from missions is utterly pathetic (especially the "lucrative treasure missions" you get from a lvl 3 inn) all the epics are 645 which can be warforged up to 651(lower than highmaul raid gear) so the only "mandatory" part for a raider would be the bonus rolls for raiding its not something you need it just means you may gear up faster or just make a few more gold coins a week.

Professions are really only useful for making gold as by the time you gather the mats to upgrade ur epics to 665 Blackrock Foundry will have been out unless you waste a fuckton of gold just to be a few item lvls higher than your buds.

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    The garrison does not provide bonus rolls beyond the maximum. It only gives 1 bonus roll for free.

The only mandatory part is follower missions but even that is not hardly as mandatory as you make it seem. It gives you 1 item per 3 weeks basically and that item could be crap or a duplicate or a downgrade.
    You're mistaken, it certainly does provide additional bonus rolls beyond the maximum. If you're thinking of the free one you get from the bunker, that is certainly subject to the 3-per-week cap, however there are rare missions that reward bonus rolls and those can allow you to go over your weekly cap of 3. I have seen them thrice so far, they seem to spawn in roughly one week intervals, giving you essentially 4 bonus rolls per week.

http://www.wowhead.com/mission=358
    http://www.wowhead.com/mission=359

And what's wrong with 1 item per 3 weeks? Extra loot is extra loot. The whole point of my post is that 'mandatory' is a subjective thing, if you don't think it's worth the effort, by all means ignore it, it's 'hardly mandatory' in that case, we are in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    The gold you can make from missions is utterly pathetic (especially the "lucrative treasure missions" you get from a lvl 3 inn) all the epics are 645 which can be warforged up to 651(lower than highmaul raid gear) so the only "mandatory" part for a raider would be the bonus rolls for raiding its not something you need it just means you may gear up faster or just make a few more gold coins a week.

Professions are really only useful for making gold as by the time you gather the mats to upgrade ur epics to 665 Blackrock Foundry will have been out unless you waste a fuckton of gold just to be a few item lvls higher than your buds.
    I've been making 10k a day for the past week buying meat from the Trading Post with GR when it's cheap, and selling it on the AH before raid nights for (30-50g per on my server). With a bunch of scavenger trait followers running GR missions for you, you'll end up with more GR than you know what to do with.

Garrison rewards that directly award gold are not the only way to generate gold from a garrison, you just need to be a bit creative.
    Last edited by Mizzet; 2014-12-09 at 05:20 PM.

Don't listen to the people trying to overwhelm you with things you have to do because they're simply not major time consumers and happen very quickly. It's like saying, "Ugh I hate breathing, I have to inflate a lung 24 times every minute. 24 times!! It's tedious."