Deleted

Question problem with second monitor not "updating" properly

Hey there,

just recently i bought a usb graphics card, which is connected with a hdmi adapter that connects a cable to my tv..^^

what i want is: use this setting to watch movies on my tv (without having the trouble of using usb devices for example).

what i get is: my tv is not "updating" the pictures automatically.
    for example when i start some movie, and display it on the tv, the picture will just freeze and display the last movement. this means, when i drag the window for the movie player software around, it will update it, so it should be possible in theory to watch a movie without any issues.

my question is, how can i "force" the graphics card or whatever the reason to automatically update the display all the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    USB Graphics card....? huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    USB Graphics card....? huh?
    something like this:

Sounds like it's a "primary display" selection issue...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a graphics card... it's an adapter.

That said, does USB 3.0 even have the required bandwidth for it. From what I remember, the theoretical max of USB 3.0 is 5Gbit/s. If it's plugged into USB 2.0 then it's going to be like a few MB/s... which if it is then that would explain why you're just getting frames.

It's got software, firmware and what not, it's not just converting ends. So it's not just an "adapter" in the strictest sense most would define it as, though a "display adapter" is apt. But it is not the same thing as say, a DisplayPort to DVI "adapter." It's an external graphics card/video card/display adapter (albeit a shit one).

Ultimately it's just an extension of the software installed. It does no processing of its own. Relies on the CPU/memory on the PC for all the work. They'll have an upper limit of probably 1920x1080 for the most part, but as for video bandwidth, depending on the compression it can vary. USB 3.0 is about 5Gbps. DVI single Link is about 3.9Gbps for comparison. So yes, USB 3.0 as an interface can handle 1080p @ 60fps quite easily. 2.0 not so much, but there's likely some more compression going on in the software there.

I have to use a few of these on PC's at the office for dual display setups on the older computers with only a single output. They work well enough. Unless faulty, it's unlikely that the device is the problem. Not directly anyway.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-12-05 at 11:41 PM.

Deleted
    well seems you got some experience with this, great!^^

do you have the slightest clue for the reason of my problem? the driver is freshly updated, the data you posted is correct.

Honestly the only things that come to mind are

A) Set the movie display/TV as the primary display in your display properties. But that will involve changing most if not all of your games to windowed and moving them to the other display if you're planning on doing both at the same time.

B) Try a different video player. Like VLC or Media Player Classic.

C) It -might- be a problem with your HDMI conversion. From your description it sounds like you're going external graphics > HDMI adapter > TV. I'm assuming it's a DVI to HDMI adapter? It 'might'...be an HDCP issue. But that's like a way outside speculation thing, since there's usually some sort of notification not just playback stopping.

Is it just the video that pauses? What about other movements, like the mouse etc. Or even other content, like youtube?

Deleted
    basically the "content" of the window does not update as long as i do not force it to update by moving the window around.

the video, or the game or whatever, is not pausing, it just does not update properly, but is still running.
    so it is only a display issue. im alrdy using media player classic, tested that one and WoW in windowed mode, as well as a few other windowed games.

tried it as a second monitor, as well as duplicated display, both with the same problem.

EDIT: setting it to primary monitor allows it to work properly, BUT it does not allow me to use both displays. when i use my computer monitor, it will stop working on the tv display, even when tv is set to primary.

is it possible the external graphics card tries to do all the work, thus being unable to keep up with my demands? ^^ and if so, how can i "tell" it to only care for the tv and let my internal graphics card handle the rest xD
    Last edited by mmocd5f6a5c456; 2014-12-06 at 01:02 AM.

Why not just connect the TV to the internal GPU, most should have more then one connector, i don't see the need for the extra adapter unless there is no extra port on the GPU