Do you think american college students should be forced to spend a semester abroad?

I think it would be a great idea for students to get out of that american bubble they exist in. See how the world actually operates. Bad idea?

Of course this idea would have to be subsidized.

Deleted
    Yes send them to canada that will teach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Yes send them to canada that will teach them.
    Canada is not included in this plan.

I don't think it's college educated Americans who are most guilty of being stuck in the american bubble.

All this would do is crush how many people go to college and in turn, prices would skyrocket to make up for the difference and we, as a whole, would become a worse off country. That's my prediction. Also, it'd wreck families. Not every student is an 18 year old free spirit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spent 2 summers in the jungles of Belize. Awesome experience., and it did teach me a lot about how others live and why I should be grateful.

Also, the Belizien people are for the most part, VERY protective of their ancient pyramids and temples. The outcry over part of one being demolished for a road (illegally btw) was intense.

No.

No one should be forced to leave the safety of their country.

The outside world can be a really fucked up place. I'd much rather get sick/mugged here than in another country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give them the option to become an exchange student but don't force it upon them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Give them the option to become an exchange student but don't force it upon them.
    Yeah I agree with this, forcing people out of the country is a tad extreme.

I love that word "forced". No, of course not.

Should it be required for some programs? Maybe. Perhaps if the college pays for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we should make all non American college students study abroad to America so they can get that International media version of the U.S. out of their ass.

OT: No. That's stupid.

No, for three reasons.

1. Cost. Even if tuition was subsidized, students would still need cost of living, ect and a lot could not afford that.
    2 ADA. Some students require accommodations in school and my faith in other places giving these is low.
    3. Non - traditional students. We cant expect a single mom to move herself and her kid to a new place, go to school there and be able to take care of her and her kid. It would just be too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Maybe we should make all non American college students study abroad to America so they can get that International media version of the U.S. out of their ass..
    But then we can't blame you for being gun crazy, company worshipping, warmongers!

Most schools offer study abroad options. Even the community college I'm at for my Gen Eds offers a ton of study abroad programs.

To your question though, no. The costs of being a student in the US is already waaaaay to high and forcing extra costs (travel, short term housing, etc) shouldn't be a requirement gating you from an education. I get your underlying subject here OP, but making people live elsewhere isn't going to fix that.

At my University this was HEAVILY encouraged and well over 60% of students spend at least 1 semester abroad.

Deleted
    They don't really need to leave the bubble.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bubble in the majority of your threads op seemed pretty small.

Are you just trying to pointlessly bash American until you get banned?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't think of any reason why this topic should be framed exclusively regarding American students, except to cause upset.

Closing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |