Versatility vs multistrike

Hi,

I'm a resto druid - I have a choice of 2 cloaks atm, both give about 60 spirit, but one gives ~1% multistrike and the other ~0.4% healing done (versatility). All the guides I've come across say multistrike > versatility, but I can't see how 0.4% more healing -always-, is worse than 1% multistrike (I currently have about 2.4% multistrike without the cloak, with it its about 3.4% or so) so I will go from every 2 in 100 heals to every 3 in 100 heals (statistically speaking) multistriking. Can someone please explain why it is that multistrike is supposed to be better?

Cheers.

Multistrike gives two chances, not one. So you go from 4 multistrikes per 100 spells to 6 per 100.

basically just that, multistrike has 2 chances to proc on every heal

Ok, so I get an extra 2 chances to proc. So say I am healing for 30,000 every second. Every 100 seconds I get (statistically) an extra 60k healing from the extra 1% multistrike. If I take the versatility, I get ((30000*100)*0.0004) = 1200 healing extra. Is this correct? If so, it seems like multistrike is crazy powerful compared to versatility O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Jarob22 View Post
    Ok, so I get an extra 2 chances to proc. So say I am healing for 30,000 every second. Every 100 seconds I get (statistically) an extra 60k healing from the extra 1% multistrike. If I take the versatility, I get ((30000*100)*0.0004) = 1200 healing extra. Is this correct? If so, it seems like multistrike is crazy powerful compared to versatility O.o
    1% versatility gives you 0.5%(=0.005) extra healing, thats 15k, not 1200. 1% multistrike statistically procs twice for 9k each (30%), thats 18k.
    Considering that multistrike needs less rating for 1% and gives you more throughoutput (and ignoring 1% damage reduced from versatility) - MS is quite ahead.

But everybody knows versatility sucks anyways, so you shouldn't have bothered to even compare those.

Quote Originally Posted by unlightable View Post
    1% versatility gives you 0.5%(=0.005) extra healing, thats 15k, not 1200. 1% multistrike statistically procs twice for 9k each (30%), thats 18k.
    Considering that multistrike needs less rating for 1% and gives you more throughoutput (and ignoring 1% damage reduced from versatility) - MS is quite ahead.

But everybody knows versatility sucks anyways, so you shouldn't have bothered to even compare those.
    You've got Versatility backwards. It gives 1% more healing and 0.5% less damage taken. But you also need about twice as much rating to get 1% Versatility as you need for 1% Multistrike.