Retribution Weapon Problem...

Hi all. I'm having an issue with weapon choice, mainly due to a conflict between secondary stats and SimCraft parsing.

I have two weapons at the moment:

Grandiose Greataxe of the Decimator (256 crit):
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=115328/grandiose-greataxe

Turbulent Greataxe of the Feverflare (115 Haste, 106 Mastery, +50 Mastery gem)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=115320/turbulent-greataxe

From what I thought the Turbulent Greataxe would give me more dps due to it having more of my secondary stats (especially mastery). However, after putting them both through SimCraft it said that the Grandiose Greataxe was more beneficial (not by much; an extra ~500 dps).

Is that because it has more weapon damage on it? Should I look for weapon damage over secondary stats for weapons?

Thanks for reading ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Grandiose Greataxe of the Decimator (256 crit):
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=115328/grandiose-greataxe

Turbulent Greataxe of the Feverflare (115 Haste, 106 Mastery, +50 Mastery gem)
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=115320/turbulent-greataxe

From what I thought the Turbulent Greataxe would give me more dps due to it having more of my secondary stats (especially mastery). However, after putting them both through SimCraft it said that the Grandiose Greataxe was more beneficial (not by much; an extra ~500 dps).

Is that because it has more weapon damage on it? Should I look for weapon damage over secondary stats for weapons?

Thanks for reading ^^
    Generally the higher iLvL the weapon the better it is. If it's like 5 ilvls it's one thing, but this is 15 iLvLs which provides a much higher Weapon Damage and with Templar's Verdict / Final Verdict, Divine Storm and Crusader Strike / Hammer of the Righteous scale off weapon damage it'll increase those more. (It use to say in the tooltip % weapon damage, but I think they rolled them all into 1 flat number for tooltip purposes)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Generally the higher iLvL the weapon the better it is. If it's like 5 ilvls it's one thing, but this is 15 iLvLs which provides a much higher Weapon Damage and with Templar's Verdict / Final Verdict, Divine Storm and Crusader Strike / Hammer of the Righteous scale off weapon damage it'll increase those more. (It use to say in the tooltip % weapon damage, but I think they rolled them all into 1 flat number for tooltip purposes)
    Ah, thank you! I wanted to make sure before putting my shattered hand enchant on the wrong weapon. Thanks again ^^

Deleted
    Dude, the first weapon is by far the superior - it has more Strength which is your primary stat and is more important to your DPS than any secondary stat. Plus, as you point out, the Grandiose Greataxe also has more weapon damage. Someone who can do the maths will no doubt explain by just how much, but the clue is in the iLvl. 15iLvls higher is always going to be better.

This is what stat weights are for. If you run your stat weights in SimulationCraft and keep those numbers handy you'll be able to better judge at a glance, and if necessary, tally up the approximate value of the upgrade.

People are crazy over secondary stats, and my impression is that a lot of people are min-maxing far too hard for little benefit. Secondary stats have come closer and closer to each other in value over time, and it seems like that's true for a lot of classes.
    As a whole, secondary stats can not compete with primary DPS stats, and certainly can't compete with weapon damage.

Historically, weapon damage has been tremendous, it's so much bigger than anything that in the past, Paladins have taken unwanted AGI polearms and such, due to the fact that AGI would make up for some fraction of the lost STR via Crit, and the weapon damage would more than make up for the remaining lost value from STR.

Paladins could even legitimately argue with hunters that it was more value for the Paladin. These arguments actually happened, and weapon damage remains that powerful.

Despite what I keep hearing in trade there don't appear to be many "Shit Stats". I bet your worst secondary stat is still worth at least 85% of what your best one is. That might seem high but remember, the pie-chart of stat values is dominated by your primary and weapon damage stats.

Secondary stats start to run the show later, as they scale off your primary damage stats. Strength will remain dominant, but it will lose some of its lead over the secondaries.

Honestly if its not basic knowledge that a 645 weapon trumps 630 more the most weapon damage dependant spec in the entire game I'm completely dumbfounded this thread exists.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbwarriordx View Post
    This is what stat weights are for. If you run your stat weights in SimulationCraft and keep those numbers handy you'll be able to better judge at a glance, and if necessary, tally up the approximate value of the upgrade.

People are crazy over secondary stats, and my impression is that a lot of people are min-maxing far too hard for little benefit. Secondary stats have come closer and closer to each other in value over time, and it seems like that's true for a lot of classes.
    As a whole, secondary stats can not compete with primary DPS stats, and certainly can't compete with weapon damage.

Historically, weapon damage has been tremendous, it's so much bigger than anything that in the past, Paladins have taken unwanted AGI polearms and such, due to the fact that AGI would make up for some fraction of the lost STR via Crit, and the weapon damage would more than make up for the remaining lost value from STR.

Paladins could even legitimately argue with hunters that it was more value for the Paladin. These arguments actually happened, and weapon damage remains that powerful.

Despite what I keep hearing in trade there don't appear to be many "Shit Stats". I bet your worst secondary stat is still worth at least 85% of what your best one is. That might seem high but remember, the pie-chart of stat values is dominated by your primary and weapon damage stats.

Secondary stats start to run the show later, as they scale off your primary damage stats. Strength will remain dominant, but it will lose some of its lead over the secondaries.
    That's what so many people don't understand, that even tho its not our "best stat" it still has DPS value and it should still be used as an upgrade if its a higher ilvl most of the time. The only case where that might not be true is trinkets and when sockets come into play, given how strong gems are this xpac.