Frost Mage Log help!

Hey mages, I have a buddy who raids with us and he's a frost mage; his damage seems to be a little low, and I'd really like to help him out but I know absolutely nothing about mages (aka I'm a melee mongoloid). I don't know if it's bad luck, bad itemization, bad fights, etc... So was wondering if someone much more knowledgeable than I could take a look at this even/damage log and point out any major or minor mistakes and general tips to improve: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...17&view=events.

Here's his armory for any gear tips or if it's necessary as part of the analysis: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Roundre/simple.

Thanks in advance!

edit: After reading the other frost mage log thread, just a forewarning: this is a pug and some peoples' first time through Highmaul--so not many flasks, prepots, pre-planning, etc... So yes, I know most of the group has room to improve, but I just want to know about our mage specifically and this was the the most complete attempt I could get without him dying a bit early.
    Last edited by Anbokr; 2014-12-07 at 05:17 AM.

I'm feeling generous so I'll do another one of these, I looked at your 2xOgre kill since it's there's less variance in strats and fewer opportunities to pad

-He waited until after bloodlust ended before casting icy veins? It's glyphed on his armory so there should be zero worry regarding bloodlust/iv overlapping (and you should do so even if unglyphed)
    -He needs a lot more multistrike from gear (5 ffb procs in 3:47 is really, really bad). I think he knows to gear multistrike since he has gems for it, just needs to get gear with it on it too
    -He is not using frost bomb to its fullest effect (all FoF IL should be hitting a target with frost bomb on it)
    -Because of his odd Icy Veins timing, he is unable to maximize his usage of his 100 talent Thermal Void since he can't use free FoF generators like Frozen Orb and Water jet to get FoFs to extend his Icy Veins
    -He only used water jet once (and the other mage didn't use it at all; Blizz may have not introduced that spell in a clear way)

Quote Originally Posted by Elovia View Post
    I'm feeling generous so I'll do another one of these, I looked at your 2xOgre kill since it's there's less variance in strats and fewer opportunities to pad

-He waited until after bloodlust ended before casting icy veins? It's glyphed on his armory so there should be zero worry regarding bloodlust/iv overlapping (and you should do so even if unglyphed)
    -He needs a lot more multistrike from gear (5 ffb procs in 3:47 is really, really bad). I think he knows to gear multistrike since he has gems for it, just needs to get gear with it on it too
    -He is not using frost bomb to its fullest effect (all FoF IL should be hitting a target with frost bomb on it)
    -Because of his odd Icy Veins timing, he is unable to maximize his usage of his 100 talent Thermal Void since he can't use free FoF generators like Frozen Orb and Water jet to get FoFs to extend his Icy Veins
    -He only used water jet once (and the other mage didn't use it at all; Blizz may have not introduced that spell in a clear way)
    Thanks so much man! Really appreciate the input, going to pass this along.

So I gave my buddy the tips from Elovia (thanks so much!) a couple weeks back, and noticed his dps go up a bit. However, his damage still seems pretty low compared to most of the raid and mages in general. He puts up 17k on butcher (which we unfortunately forgot to log tonight), but I noticed on movement heavy fights like koragh and twin ogron he drops to 9-11k. I know casters can suffer on these fights, but that seems excessively low, and since I know absolutely nothing about mages, I don't know what to tell him or how to help him.

If anyone has the time to and is kind enough to take a look at a log or two of his, and give me some more critiques to take back, I will give you 1000 hugs!! Is he still making the same mistakes that Elovia pointed out, is it gear? New errors?

Here's the log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/WyX9zJ8caYfd6D4v#.
    Here's his armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Roundre/simple
    Last edited by Anbokr; 2014-12-19 at 09:08 AM.

I don't see a single cast of Ice Floes in that entire raid, which is where a large part of mage mobility comes from

Ok i'm just looking at the Kor'agh fight
    - Comet storm is a 30sec cd, he casts it 5 times, could of gotten 13 casts off
    - Frozen orb has a 1 min cd, he casts it 3 times instead of 6

Deleted
    As previously mentioned

• He casts way too few Frozen orbs/Comet storm and Icy Veins
    • He casts a ton of Ice laneces without having Frost Bomb present on his target (He only casts Frost Bomb 5 times!!)
    • He casts a ton of Ice laneces without FoF buff (he had the buff 27 times, but casted 55 ice lances.
    • He hard casted a Forstfirebolt without having Brain Freeze buff.
    • Despite it being a movement heavy fight, he does not use Ice Floes and he only uses Blink 3 times.
    • His alignment of buffs and CD's need a lot of work

The most crusial is him casting Ice Lances without FoF or Frost Bomb present.

Thanks a ton for the replies guys, going to pass along the information.