Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Ummayad caliphate and the Ottoman Empire are separate entities. Unless as you seem to think all areas were Muslims are makes that area part of the Ottoman empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't see anyone playing the worlds smallest violin for ISIS they are pretty much universally hated. I think most people are going to look the other way given their behavior.

As the old saying goes, what goes around comes around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The Ummayad caliphate and the Ottoman Empire are separate entities. Unless as you seem to think all areas were Muslims are makes that area part of the Ottoman empire.
    I understand they're separate entities. I was talking about the Umayyad caliphate for fun at the end.

THIS MAP IS THE OTTOMAN CALIPHATE:

Quote Originally Posted by Toph Beifong View Post
    A weapon is a weapon, it kills. The fact that people make out chemical weapons to be awful because of suffering is terrible reason to put sanctions on it, should it matter how it kills? As long as it kills, it's effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Flamethrowers were quite effective at clearing out bunkers, the reason they are banned? Because of what humans look like after they are used, the actual humans themselves doesn't suffer for very long as nerves are just completely torched.
    if you mean anything of what you wrote here I just have one thing to say, seek help. Being this detached is NOT a good thing.

Deleted
    Who the fuck cares and why it should matter which oppresive Empire was bigger?

Didnt make the lives of those in periphery better at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    I understand they're separate entities. I was talking about the Umayyad caliphate for fun at the end.

THIS MAP IS THE OTTOMAN CALIPHATE:

Aside from you claiming that I have seen no proof, I will take the map on the wiki page over wherever that is from.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from you claiming that I have seen no proof, I will take the map on the wiki page over wherever that is from.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline...Ottoman_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline...uled_countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_expedition_to_Aceh

The Ottoman empire controlled all of those countries under Suleiman the Magnificent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw no map there.... and if we are to include all areas a country owned at some point in time I suppose this should be the map for GB,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonned View Post
    I just don't see anyone playing the worlds smallest violin for ISIS they are pretty much universally hated. I think most people are going to look the other way given their behavior.

As the old saying goes, what goes around comes around.
    We live in a civilized world and we should not change our views and laws, just to stick it to our enemies. Using Gas is against several treaties and the the Geneva Protocol. If we are fighting alongside the Syrians against ISIS. We should shun them for this. Rather then change our ways and stoop down to ISIS, or Assad's level.

We are better then they are in every way and I rather not have my Country violate it's treaties,Ethics, just to see a few Rebels and Scum die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw no map there.... and if we are to include all areas a country owned at some point in time I suppose this should be the map for GB,
    Did Britain ever own those territories concurrently? The Ottoman empire owned these concurrently:

The Ottoman caliphate was the largest and longest lasting empire in human history, the crown jewel of humanity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    We live in a civilized world and we should not change our views and laws, just to stick it to our enemies. Using Gas is against several treaties and the the Geneva Protocol. If we are fighting alongside the Syrians against ISIS. We should shun them for this. Rather then change our ways and stoop down to ISIS, or Assad's level.

We are better then they are in every way and I rather not have my Country violate it's treaties, just to kill a few Rebels and Scum.
    Nothing wrong with killing rebel scum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post

We are better then they are in every way and I rather not have my Country violate it's treaties,Ethics, just to see a few Rebels and Scum die.
    Honestly I am all for it if it gets the job done faster, handicapping yourself in war is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Britain ever own those territories concurrently? The Ottoman empire owned these concurrently:

The Ottoman caliphate was the largest and longest lasting empire in human history, the crown jewel of humanity.
    No they didn't... here are the countries that were in your link, Albania, Algeria, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Egypt, Eritrea, Greece, Hungary, Iraq, Libya, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Syria, Tunisia. Your map includes quite a few extra countries that your link makes no mention of.

Areas that it makes no mention of: Ukraine, large bits of Russia, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Sudan, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia, Western Sahara/Morroco, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Romania, Moldova, Belarus, Iran, Kuwait, Quatar, and Malaysia.
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2014-12-07 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they didn't... here are the countries that were in your link, Albania, Algeria, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Egypt, Eritrea, Greece, Hungary, Iraq, Libya, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Syria, Tunisia. Your map includes quite a few extra countries that your link makes no mention of.
    If you checked all 3 of the articles, all of the countries are there.

Morocco, Western Saharawi, Mauritania, Senegal, northern Nigeria, Chad, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Balkans, Mediterranean states, Levant, Arabian peninsula, Iraq, Western Iran, Anatolia, Chechnya, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Indonesian holdings.

Slaves in the Islamic world under the caliphates that allowed them (the first caliphate, the Rashidun caliphate, essentially eliminated slavery and did not have it at all) were simply those under the dominion of the caliphate state.
    It doesn't matter how you try to skew it. They were still slaves sold on markets, raped and abused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonned View Post
    Honestly I am all for it if it gets the job done faster, handicapping yourself in war is pointless.
    You only say that because the people you want death don't live in your backyard, I wonder how the Syrian and Iraqi people would think of this.

and seriously, the Ottoman empire? Thats what this thread has derailed to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    You only say that because the people you want death don't live in your backyard, I wonder how the Syrian and Iraqi people would think of this.
    Enemies are enemies it doesn't matter where they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It doesn't matter how you try to skew it. They were still slaves sold on markets, raped and abused.
    No, they were not raped, abused, or even "sold" on markets. They had employment contracts and they could buy themselves out of slavery if they wanted to, as is required by Hanafite Islamic law. They were treated quite well, and many people even sold themselves into slavery to become a part of the Ottoman state, such as the Beylik of Chechnya.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you checked all 3 of the articles, all of the countries are there.

Morocco, Western Saharawi, Mauritania, Senegal, northern Nigeria, Chad, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Balkans, Mediterranean states, Levant, Arabian peninsula, Iraq, Western Iran, Anatolia, Chechnya, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Indonesian holdings.
    Your first and second links are to the same page on wikipedia and your third link is to a military campaign, most of the other things in the First/second link are related to people and buildings rather than territory.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well just nerve staple everyone too while we're at it, it's only ISIS after all.