Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejure View Post
    I came here now because yesterday, as you told me to, I've shut down my PC, went to buy the thermal paste and I've applied it like another user posted above here (but I couldn't see it yesterday so I just had a look before shutting down my PC).
    It didn't turn on since now (it didn't connect mouse/keyboard/display), but now it works fine.
    I've run hwmonitor, pretty fine temps.
    Then prime95 again, it lagged quite a lot but got to 75*C gradually in one minute or so. (image)
    Are you still using the stock cooler? Are those 2 pins still broken like you mentioned before? If so then it still needs to be replaced out of safety of your hardware. Temps seem a tad high but it could just be I haven't used the stock cooler in a while so I'm probably giving it too much credit. And yes, it's going to lag during the test because it literally pushes all 4 cores to max load.

The big question is: Is it still crashing and shutting down? If it's not crashing or lagging during games (besides the typical fps that the CPU should be getting in those games) or the stress tests anymore then you just fixed a huge issue.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Are you still using the stock cooler? Are those 2 pins still broken like you mentioned before? If so then it still needs to be replaced out of safety of your hardware. Temps seem a tad high but it could just be I haven't used the stock cooler in a while so I'm probably giving it too much credit. And yes, it's going to lag during the test because it literally pushes all 4 cores to max load.

The big question is: Is it still crashing and shutting down? If it's not crashing or lagging during games (besides the typical fps that the CPU should be getting in those games) or the stress tests anymore then you just fixed a huge issue.
    Yes, still with stock cooler and the 2 pins are still broken but it's there and if I don't move it too much it it perfectly in
    Haven't shut down since my other post, working ok right now. Haven't tried with games as I have uninstalled them all (cause I really couldn't play any with these issues), but yeah lagging when prime95'ing

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they are broke I still recommend replacing the cooler entirely as soon as you can. The fan spinning constantly or even a small bump could knock it loose. The temps are probably a little high due to it as well. The thing about the cooler is it needs an even firm contact with the CPU with a really thin layer of paste as conductive. If it doesn't have that then heat isn't effectively being transferred. The more it wiggles loose the higher the temps will start to rise again and that results in throttling until it gets so bad that it just starts shutting down again and potentially killing your CPU.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...r-rrtx3e22pkr1 Would even fit in your case since the 212 won't. Only 15 pounds and still better than the stock cooler, especially a broken one. Just make sure to install it properly since it has push pins like the stock one. They likely broke due to you or someone else having them locked when trying to push it in.

And yea again if you aren't lagging during Prime95 something is wrong so you're good on that part. 100% load on all CPUs means there is none left for other tasks. It's not meant to be something you run in the background as it's just a stability and temperature test. It simulates the highest it could ever probably be so if it can handle Prime95 it can handle anything else.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-18 at 07:25 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    If they are broke I still recommend replacing the cooler entirely as soon as you can. The fan spinning constantly or even a small bump could knock it loose. The temps are probably a little high due to it as well. The thing about the cooler is it needs an even firm contact with the CPU with a really thin layer of paste as conductive. If it doesn't have that then heat isn't effectively being transferred. The more it wiggles loose the higher the temps will start to rise again and that results in throttling until it gets so bad that it just starts shutting down again and potentially killing your CPU.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cool...r-rrtx3e22pkr1 Would even fit in your case since the 212 won't. Only 15 pounds and still better than the stock cooler, especially a broken one. Just make sure to install it properly since it has push pins like the stock one. They likely broke due to you or someone else having them locked when trying to push it in.

And yea again if you aren't lagging during Prime95 something is wrong so you're good on that part. 100% load on all CPUs means there is none left for other tasks. It's not meant to be something you run in the background as it's just a stability and temperature test. It simulates the highest it could ever probably be so if it can handle Prime95 it can handle anything else.
    I'm definitely buying it tomorrow morning! Will post again as soon as I get it.
    What should I do next?
    I'm not buying RAM yet just to see if I need to change something else / or it whole.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely buying it tomorrow morning! Will post again as soon as I get it.
    What should I do next?
    I'm not buying RAM yet just to see if I need to change something else / or it whole.
    Well the idea would be to buy it and when it comes in then remove your broken cooler and clean the paste off again with alcohol to get it completely off. Images of the TX3 imply that the paste isn't preapplied so you can either use the provided paste or use the one you just bought (whichever is higher quality) and apply the new heat sink properly to avoid breaking it. The pins twist to unlock and if they are locked when placing them they will break. Once it's fully installed just run another stress test to verify that it's installed properly and the paste was applied correctly.

After that if you've got no more crashes, freezes, or lagging while doing your normal tasks (besides hardware limitations) then you're good to go. From there the only thing you could do is start upgrading your PC based on the previous recommendations or new ones if your circumstances change as there wouldn't be any immediate reason to upgrade the CPU/Mobo unless you just want to pay the premium for a small performance gain, although the H60 I had original recommended can be taken off if you end up getting the TX3. I recommended it because it was something that would fit your case and provide good cooling for overclocking, but something tells me you won't end up overclocking enough for it to need that high end of cooler if at all. The TX3 would likely cool it enough for something like a 4.2Ghz overclock fairly well.

Deleted
    Arbiter, so I've managed to break another pin. So I've bought a new one and I've broke it again.
    Anyway it's quite big, it fits almost perfectly the available space, so it's quite hard to apply everything.
    Right now my PC is horizontally on the ground so the tx3 doesn't fall (that's sad, I know)
    Here's the test: image
    It isn't lagging as it did when I performed the other tests, just doing normal
    Due to where the cooler base is, the fan turns upward instead of outward like the old one... don't know if it's clear
    Last edited by mmoc871db91128; 2014-12-24 at 03:49 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arbiter, so I've managed to break another pin. So I've bought a new one and I've broke it again.
    Anyway it's quite big, it fits almost perfectly the available space, so it's quite hard to apply everything.
    Right now my PC is horizontally on the ground so the tx3 doesn't fall (that's sad, I know)
    Here's the test: image
    It isn't lagging as it did when I performed the other tests, just doing normal
    Due to where the cooler base is, the fan turns upward instead of outward like the old one... don't know if it's clear
    I'm assuming you haven't cared to examine the push pins to see how they work? Honestly it's not recommended to keep a cooler in there like that. I'd suggest buying another one, but this time take what you currently have and examine it to determine how to properly use the push pins without breaking them so you can avoid the issues. They twist to lock it into place and if you try to push them in while still locked it WILL break.

I know it sucks spending money like that but you'll continue to deal with high temps and throttling if you don't while risking degradation and eventual death of the CPU. Temps at 90+ is not a good idea. The push pins are supposed to be the easiest way to mount lol.

As for orientation of the cooler:
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...nfield/tx3.jpg

Deleted
    I'm assuming you haven't cared to examine the push pins to see how they work? Honestly it's not recommended to keep a cooler in there like that. I'd suggest buying another one, but this time take what you currently have and examine it to determine how to properly use the push pins without breaking them so you can avoid the issues. They twist to lock it into place and if you try to push them in while still locked it WILL break.

I know it sucks spending money like that but you'll continue to deal with high temps and throttling if you don't while risking degradation and eventual death of the CPU. Temps at 90+ is not a good idea. The push pins are supposed to be the easiest way to mount lol.

As for orientation of the cooler:
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...nfield/tx3.jpg
    I did! I swear I know how to put 'em there. It's not for the money tbh, it's because I'm wasting so much time...
    When I put two pins, the other two are too far to just be put in, so I need to use some pressure, and one of the old two just breaks

Mine is rotated 90 degrees to the left (looking at that picture)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did! I swear I know how to put 'em there. It's not for the money tbh, it's because I'm wasting so much time...
    When I put two pins, the other two are too far to just be put in, so I need to use some pressure, and one of the old two just breaks

Mine is rotated 90 degrees to the left (looking at that picture)
    That might be why you had trouble then. It's a 1155 socket so it's definitely compatible unless you're used the wrong parts. It should line up perfectly as all 1155 boards have the same exact placement.

And yea I know the time sucks, but it's better than risking your hardware and dealing with throttling.

Deleted
    That might be why you had trouble then. It's a 1155 socket so it's definitely compatible unless you're used the wrong parts. It should line up perfectly as all 1155 boards have the same exact placement.

And yea I know the time sucks, but it's better than risking your hardware and dealing with throttling.
    The parts are correct, it's just that when I put the upper two, I have to apply some pressure to put the lower ones :\
    Yeah, but this is getting boring... (not you, thanks a lot for helping me!!)
    Next time I'll buy a case that's 1 km * 1km * 500 m, so I can put everything with 100m of distance and I can clean it better

15+ Year Old Account
    You really just need to call it and take your pc to someone that can install a HSF, you apparently cant do it.

Deleted
    The new pins should arrive next week to the PC shop, so I gotta wait.
    Meanwhile, BIOS freezes while choosing what to boot if I don't wanna boot up Windows. Or yeah any other option

Deleted
    Nothing gets better. I've fixed that tx3; anyways, I can't boot from anything but Windows... when I try to boot the USB, it freezes (and it remains stuck there, I've waited even too much). I think there's something wrong with my mobo too.

(Sorry if I'm posting this after a few weeks)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having fair FPS issues with the HOTS, and that's because the game isn't released yet and is by no where ready. + radeon/nvidia hasn't had much time to even fix their driver for the game even.
    for wow? you wont get more fps, best case scenario is you pay 400 usd for being able to turn on the shadows. not worth it.
    your cpu is still top notch
    gpu is more than enough for most current games

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I'm having fair FPS issues with the HOTS, and that's because the game isn't released yet and is by no where ready. + radeon/nvidia hasn't had much time to even fix their driver for the game even.
    for wow? you wont get more fps, best case scenario is you pay 400 usd for being able to turn on the shadows. not worth it.
    your cpu is still top notch
    gpu is more than enough for most current games
    So should I just change motherboard? I can't even watch a twitch streaming anymore (and I'm not joking), so I don't think it's due to Hots

Deleted
    Alright, with the new TX3 set up correctly everything seems to work fine. I'm playing now :P
    Haven't checked for the BIOS issue yet, I'll post again for it.
    So, how to upgrade now?