Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I wonder why I almost never see dead animals or birds when I go out in the woods. I guess scavengers get to the dead bodies asap. A bird croaking mid flight would drop like a rock, not dive down fully in control of its wings and direction.

The only time Im sure I caught a bird having a heart attack is when I owned a parakeet some years ago. I was sitting in the living room with my laptop, birdie was chillen on his perch as usual. Then I hear a loud squawk and found him on his back either dying or involuntarily twitching. He pissed himself and stopped moving 10 minutes later. All was quiet in the house.

Of course it's not actually diving, but we're talking about peripheral information. Unless you're actually watching the bird that happens to die mid-flight, then your brain is still going to interpret it peripherally as a bird diving. It still maintains some forward momentum, and it won't look odd enough to draw your attention unless you're looking at it, or it's close enough to be more than a subconscious observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted
    yes at a parachute jumping school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    I see it happen to ducks a lot sometimes geese and the ocational pheasent too.
    Lol. Just make sure you get all the lead out before you start cooking - or use alloy shot to begin with.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    I saw one fly right into the window of a Tesco, I had giggle fits for the whole afternoon just remembering it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? Don't they ever get stuck up there?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

If I was a bird I would prefer to die in flight.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland