Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    DPS > Tanks > Healers.

Healer checks can usually be countered with better play, minimal gear usually meets the minimum healing requirements.

DPS checks can't really be made with better play if your DPS are undergeared.
    This. There are usually many ways to get around a "healing check", but DPS checks are far less flexible with bad gear.
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Fuck that for a laugh!
    We had a pretty similar thing happen in my guild, except with a better result.

Neck with BiS stats for mages drop, they both roll and a healer does too, and wins. When asked, the healer was nice enough to pass though, even though everyone had a 630/636 neck.

That said, we don't really have a gearing scheme in my guild, mostly just have people passing to others if it's a big upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    officer healer having 645 and getting a 655 updrage instead of the 2 dps that had 630's getting it
    The person who takes care of loot distribution should be replaced if stuff like that happens. (Unless for example if it's clear that the 630 dps' are not that committed players and might leave the guild the next day...)

Deleted
    It really depends on a lot of factors.

Are Tanks dieing
    Are DPS dieing
    Are Healers oom halfway into the fight

If the Healers can keep people alive on current progress, the Tanks hold aggro and don't get wrecked, prio goes to DPS.
    If Healers are struggling and DPS is fine, gear Healers
    If Healers and DPS are fine but Tanks are struggling, gear Tanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Healer View Post
    It really depends on a lot of factors.

Are Tanks dieing
    Are DPS dieing
    Are Healers oom halfway into the fight

If the Healers can keep people alive on current progress, the Tanks hold aggro and don't get wrecked, prio goes to DPS.
    If Healers are struggling and DPS is fine, gear Healers
    If Healers and DPS are fine but Tanks are struggling, gear Tanks
    By DPS is fine, do you mean as in are the damage dealers fine in terms of dps + not standing in fire or just dps?

If it's just dps, might not be wise to gear healers if you have to gear healers to outheal constant mistakes, better to correct the mistakes and then reduce encounter length, further reducing the chance for mistakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Just something that came across my mind but never actually thought about at all these last 10 years, does your guild focus on gearing up DPS, the tanks or the healers at the very start of a new content, what does your guild think is the most important role to gear up to beat encounters?

Just a thought I need to get answered.
    Tanks and healers generally.

Because you are usually trying to run with a healer down to allow a new dps, and at this stage in the content the biggest improvement to dps is not gear, its getting more efficient at dealing with fight mechanics. So getting tanks and healers geared means longer attempts on boss, meaning more experience so dps improves quicker than shorter attempts.

Your milage will differ, gear wont matter that much right now, its down to execution mainly at this stage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lavathing View Post
    This. There are usually many ways to get around a "healing check", but DPS checks are far less flexible with bad gear.
    not sure I agree. usually you play with a healer down to get in an extra dps on progression if possible, meaning pressure on healers is higher. People will be making more mistakes right now as its new, and so avoidable dmg will be higher, and also dps can improve most from better execution rather than small gear increases.

But as I said above, not sure it makes a massive difference overall.

Deleted
    Getting healers stuffed ASAP so 1 - 2 of them can start doing dps instead. Also in my experience healers and tanks are usually way more reliable with attendance and they stay active much longer. DPS comes and goes, again in my experience.

Also Mythic will bring the real healing challenge that you HAVE TO match with healers gear AND people avoiding the bad stuff.
    Last edited by mmoced3b6302da; 2014-12-09 at 01:39 PM.

We're focusing on gearing dps for mythic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dc41f View Post
    Getting healers stuffed ASAP so 1 - 2 of them can start doing dps instead. Also in my experience healers and tanks are usually way more reliable with attendance and they stay active much longer. DPS comes and goes, again in my experience.
    That too. tanks and healers tend not to move about so much. it varies with dps of course, but in general you get a higher turn over in dps players in a guild. Sucks to gear someone then see them leave/stop playing! Which is also why trying to distribute stuff out across the raid is better than stacking one or two people (I've seen it done!), as its less of a hit if you lose that person for whatever reason either temp or perm.

Deleted
    The way I see it: If your healers can keep everyone alive until the end of the fight, dps are prioritized, because gearing healers and tanks at that point does nothing but make the fight more comfortable for the healers and the tanks. Gearing DPS however makes the fight end quicker, which is good for everyone. If healers can't keep tanks up, gear tank. If healers can't keep rest of raid up, gear healers.

Those who are too lazy to farm gear before the raid opens -.-''

JK our loot council works on a "biggest upgrade" base that's of course influenced by stat priority.
    When everyone is on nearly the same level they let us fight in pits to determine who gets the piece.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Wrong.

Tanks are prio. Burst damage is going to kill the tanks more than anything, as soon as tanks die you all die. The second they can survive the nuke then and only then you worry about gearing others. Healing sustained/constant damage is easy, healing burst and nuke is not. Disputing anything else is just wrong.

The only time you should give DPS loot over Healers is on Tier pieces, as DPS set bonuses tend to be more beneficial to the raid.

My guild distributes loot evenly, depends on how much of an upgrade it is (although slackers won't get it if they are in greens for example), if you've already had loot, are you a bad player, etc etc.

There is none of this crap DPS > Tanks > Healers. You should be bringing the minimal amount of healers, so you can bring extra DPS, you won't do this if you give your healers no gear.
    Last edited by Trix; 2014-12-09 at 02:15 PM.

For our guild, we use tabs. That said, what we like to see:

DPS = Tanks > Healers

That said, we have a very strong set of healers and tanks (not necessarily comp, but good players), while our DPS... >.>

Also, if you want to play a healer down: An extra DPS is likely larger boon than a moderate raidwide ilvl increase, meaning healers should be prioritized so they can keep up.
    Last edited by Pelagic; 2014-12-09 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Wrong.

Tanks are prio. Burst damage is going to kill the tanks more than anything, as soon as tanks die you all die. The second they can survive the nuke then and only then you worry about gearing others. Healing sustained/constant damage is easy, healing burst and nuke is not. Disputing anything else is just wrong.
    Your debating technique is flawless.

"Wrong, you're all wrong and I am right."

Also if you look at the thread title, you'd notice there isn't a right or wrong answer.

That said, apparently my guild is 'wrong'.

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Wrong.

WOTLK is 5 years ago, bro. Tanks do not get nuked anymore if they aren't terrible at playing their class and using active mitigation/calling for the multitude of tank CD's available in the raid (ironbark, sac's, pain sup, GS, vigi, cocoon). It's the same reason they don't gem pure stamina anymore, either.

Deleted
    DKP. The best way if you ask me

At this point since heroic Butcher is a pain in the ass we are going with DPS> Tanks > Healers since we have no trouble with tanks and healers. we have 2 great resto druids, an excellent holy pally and a few priest and shamans that are all doing fine. As for our tanks we got a brewmaster and warriors that are all fine. DPS is our issue right now

DKP. The best way if you ask me
    DKP is so 2005.

Dps / Tanks (until they can survive properly) > Healers

More Dps just makes everything easier. More Healing does not.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    DKP is so 2005.

Dps / Tanks (until they can survive properly) > Healers

More Dps just makes everything easier. More Healing does not.

I really get tired of that arguement.

Turn it round, more healing means that dps is less important!

See works both ways.