Thread: WoW on ultra?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

WoW on ultra?

Just made my first gaming PC and was wondering if its good enough to run wow on ultra, I'm no good with computers btw! Also if theres anything I can add in that will make a big difference without increasing price too much that'd be great My budget is about 700 euros

Link: can't post these yet -_-

CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core EDIT: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
    Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150
    Memory Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 EDIT:G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Case Inwin GT1 White ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply XFX 450W ATX12V / EPS12V EDIT: Fractal Design Tesla R2 500W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Monitor Asus VE228H 21.5" EDIT: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
    Keyboard A4Tech G800V

I probably won't be raiding for a while since I only started playing around october so ultra in raids isn't a must
    Last edited by mmoc39f49cdb7f; 2014-12-10 at 02:54 PM.

In questing yes, in raids no. Nothing will run raids at ultra settings 100% of the time.

Also its bit poorly balanced. You have un-overclockable CPU (which is fine) but paying with OC ready motherboard and extra CPU cooler with it is pointless. Easy to shave off money from the CPU cooler and motherboard, and maybe try to fit in SSD into the budget. Dropping HDD might be an option too. Discspace is irrelevant for most people when video and music is streamed from the net instead of downloaded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post the link and just break it by separating a letter or two in the link.

When you say you 'just made' it... Meaning you built it? Ordered it? Or by 'made' you mean put together a parts list?

Also, moving this to the build/upgrade subforum.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    i see no differences between high and ultra in wow, but i get 40 more fps in high than ultra. ultra keeps my PC ( see specs below) on just 65 fps or so in open world when none is around. high on the other hand, no worries even in raids

Deleted
    Look for the i5-4690K CPU.

Seeing as you're in EU you might be able to get a more power AMD GPU for about the same price as the 750ti.

Get 2 x 4GB RAM instead of 1 x 8GB.

21.5" would be way too small for me personally. Should be able to find a reasonably cheap 23" monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    In questing yes, in raids no. Nothing will run raids at ultra settings 100% of the time.

Also its bit poorly balanced. You have un-overclockable CPU (which is fine) but paying with OC ready motherboard and extra CPU cooler with it is pointless. Easy to shave off money from the CPU cooler and motherboard, and maybe try to fit in SSD into the budget. Dropping HDD might be an option too. Discspace is irrelevant for most people when video and music is streamed from the net instead of downloaded.
    What cooler and motherboard do you recommend? or does it really matter? is an SSD a graphics card? really bad at this kinda stuff :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

When you say you 'just made' it... Meaning you built it? Ordered it? Or by 'made' you mean put together a parts list?
    I put together a parts list

get atleast 650watt psu or you gonna lack alot of power

also get a OS ssd dont needt o be mroe then 60 but 120 just incase the newer things require more
    Once upon a midnight dreary
    While i pron surfed, weak and weary
    Over many a site of ' hot xxx galore'.
    "'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"
    Quoth the server, 404.

killing a new raid boss is like having multiple orgasms only better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Look for the i5-4690K CPU.

Seeing as you're in EU you might be able to get a more power AMD GPU for about the same price as the 750ti.

Get 2 x 4GB RAM instead of 1 x 8GB.

21.5" would be way too small for me personally. Should be able to find a reasonably cheap 23" monitor.
    The only thing is the price of the parts from UK is over 700£ but from the US it's like 750$

ok yea i see a lot of people with ripjaws 2x4GB and its not too pricey

I'm playing on a laptop with a 15 inch monitor so it'll look huge for me but i'll look into a 23!

Deleted
    So your budget is £700?
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-12-08 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CedanHG View Post
    What cooler and motherboard do you recommend? or does it really matter? is an SSD a graphics card? really bad at this kinda stuff :P

- - - Updated - - -

I put together a parts list
    SSD is a hard drive alternative to HDD - HDD is the kind that has a spinning disk whereas SSD uses only integrated circuits, so it is significantly faster. For example, my old computer had an HDD and took about 45 seconds to load Windows when I turned it on, whereas with a SSD its ready about 5 seconds after turning it on. It's honestly amazing. As far as cooler and motherboard, the ones you selected are great but they are overkill if you aren't overclocking a CPU. That being said, if you've already bought them they aren't bad so don't worry. If you haven't you can get away with stock cooler and look around at various cheaper boards, or else you can keep those options and get something like the i5 4690K to make use of your overclocking potential.

I would also recommend something like the Acer H236HL for a monitor. 21.5 inches is fine but this monitor is only $130-$140 and truly fantastic for that very reasonable price.

BTW, I'm no expert on PCs but it seems to me like a 450W Power Supply is a little low. Maybe someone more experienced can verify this or else correct me, but it's always better to err on the side of having extra power than to have too little and damage components.

10+ Year Old Account
    it doesnt take a high-end system to run wow on ultra, this is one of the main reasons blizz retains so many subs.

that being said, running ultra in a raid is also not-good-juju.

well i run on ultra in raids with steady 80 fps when its lot of movement before pull i have 150 fps and using DSR 3620x2036...have 4770k 780ti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CedanHG View Post
    Just made my first gaming PC and was wondering if its good enough to run wow on ultra, I'm no good with computers btw! Also if theres anything I can add in that will make a big difference without increasing price too much that'd be great My budget is about 700 euros

Link: can't post these yet -_-

CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
    Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150
    Memory Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
    Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    Case Inwin GT1 White ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply XFX 450W ATX12V / EPS12V
    Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Monitor Asus VE228H 21.5"
    Keyboard A4Tech G800V
    You should be fine on Ultra. Even in raids. Yes a fps drop in raids but still very playable.

Recommendation:
    Your cooler is fine! It's best budget option
    RAM should be 2x4g
    Your CPU can be better but still a good budget optiion. If you have 50$ more you can have i5-4690 wich is a very good gaming CPU.
    Your GPU is more than enough for Wow.
    Motheboard is a good budget option too and you wont see a difference for a better.
    Get more power from your PSU. At least 650w or even 850. Specially if you expect to upgrade or OC in the future.

Wow is the kind of game that you need a very good CPU, decent graphic card and good amount of RAM. It's more important to spend on a good CPU than GPU for that game. Your 750Ti is more than enough but i'll throw more money on a better CPU. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by riptal; 2014-12-08 at 05:05 PM.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    well i run on ultra in raids with steady 80 fps when its lot of movement before pull i have 150 fps and using DSR 3620x2036...have 4770k 780ti
    Lies, 100% lies.

You do not get 80 FPS during raids and you do NOT get 150 FPS before you pull. Anyone with a brain knows that is no possible even on Low settings.

There is ZERO reason to play Wow on Ultra unless you are making a movie/video of some kind.

Medium/High is perfect.

Why do you think those big bad streamers with 5,000 + gaming rigs play wow on low/medium setting when they raid?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ashe View Post
    it doesnt take a high-end system to run wow on ultra, this is one of the main reasons blizz retains so many subs.

that being said, running ultra in a raid is also not-good-juju.

I think people are confused, running any game "maxed out" isn't needed to enjoy the game. My system recommends Ultra on all settings but I keep it on Medium/High.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post

There is ZERO reason to play Wow on Ultra unless you are making a movie/video of some kind.

Medium/High is perfect.

Why do you think those big bad streamers with 5,000 + gaming rigs play wow on low/medium setting when they raid?

- - - Updated - - -

I think people are confused, running any game "maxed out" isn't needed to enjoy the game. My system recommends Ultra on all settings but I keep it on Medium/High.
    Sorry but I always play Wow on Ultra and there's a huge difference. Sure if you only raid and it's the only reason you play Wow, i recommend medium/high. But if you play every aspect of the game, and enjoy questing, chilling around in the world, Ultra is fantastic! The game is still beautiful on high settings. Even if I have a big drop in fps in raid, it's still very playable and fun.
    Last edited by riptal; 2014-12-08 at 05:29 PM.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

7+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to get DDR3-1333 RAM when you can get DDR3-1600 for the same price. It won't make a huge difference, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    wouldn't that be a clear circumvention of the forum rules? like people writing /10char after a smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by Wupday View Post
    get atleast 650watt psu or you gonna lack alot of power

also get a OS ssd dont needt o be mroe then 60 but 120 just incase the newer things require more
    120GB is the smallest SSD you should consider. 250GB is a sweet spot for pricing. From personal experience, I have Windows, WoW, addons, AC: Unity, and Far Cry 4 on my 250GB SSD, and I have about 90 gigs free. Why constrain yourself from branching out to other games?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    Sorry but I always play Wow on Ultra and there's a huge difference. Sure if you only raid and it's the only reason you play Wow, i recommend medium/high. But if you play every aspect of the game, and enjoy questing, chilling around in the world, Ultra is fantastic! The game is still beautiful on high settings. Even if I have a big drop in fps in raid, it's still very playable and fun.
    I have to agree with this. I have a 4770k/780ti and I can max out everything and have it playable. The lowest I've ever dipped is 40fps in a 30-person raid during intensive AOE. And 40fps is definitely not bad in those situations. In WOD I get 60fps ALMOST everywhere. In Warspear when it's very crowded I've dipped a little (55 or so). Warspear is not particularly efficient because of the layout, even a relatively small number of people on a medium pop server can look VERY crowded, especially when facing in the direction of the auction house.

I also have an A10-7300 laptop (APU/integrated GPU) that can run on "good" settings with a couple things like textures on high. I typically get 40fps in most ourdoor areas in Draenor...Warspear drops down to 25 or so. While I can definitely play the game on it (I use it when I'm away from home, primarily at work), I do have to say the game looks 10,000x better on my desktop at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    wouldn't that be a clear circumvention of the forum rules? like people writing /10char after a smiley?
    No. There's posting to spam which is at you said /10char and then there's working around a spambot prevention. Ideally it wouldn't be there but spambots are a thing and this is just one preventive measure.