New to priests have some gear questions

I'm coming back to WoW, and have been on hiatus since WotLK. In WotLK I played a holy paladin as my main, and in BC my main was an affliction warlock. I don't have a lot of experience with priests, but since I will be rolling a new character (switching to horde from alliance) I figured I would give priest a shot since shadow shares some aspects with affliction locks for DPS and healing might be more interesting/challenging than it was on my Paladin.

I am not not entirely familiar with some of the gear changes that have been made since WotLK. My primary question is how interchangeable is gear for a shadow priest and a disc/holy priest? I don't have the time to commit to high end raiding anymore, and I expect the farthest I will go is some heroic 10 man stuff. Can I get away with using 1 set of gear for both specs, or will I need to have 2 different gear sets? Would shadow gear interchange better with discipline or holy? Am I an idiot for re-rolling a priest and trying to combine the best of both worlds instead of sticking with a paladin or warlock?

Quote Originally Posted by drakoran View Post
    I'm coming back to WoW, and have been on hiatus since WotLK. In WotLK I played a holy paladin as my main, and in BC my main was an affliction warlock. I don't have a lot of experience with priests, but since I will be rolling a new character (switching to horde from alliance) I figured I would give priest a shot since shadow shares some aspects with affliction locks for DPS and healing might be more interesting/challenging than it was on my Paladin.

I am not not entirely familiar with some of the gear changes that have been made since WotLK. My primary question is how interchangeable is gear for a shadow priest and a disc/holy priest? I don't have the time to commit to high end raiding anymore, and I expect the farthest I will go is some heroic 10 man stuff. Can I get away with using 1 set of gear for both specs, or will I need to have 2 different gear sets? Would shadow gear interchange better with discipline or holy? Am I an idiot for re-rolling a priest and trying to combine the best of both worlds instead of sticking with a paladin or warlock?
    You'll be able to use most of your gear for both, but you'll want to get some spirit cloak/neck/rings/trinkets.