Optimal Cascade Usage

So for Halo the optimal usage is to be at max range (30 yards) out form the group before casting. For Divine Star you want to use it on the stacked group. But what about for Cascade? How do you get the most out of Cascade? 1 thing I do is precast it before massive AoE damage comes out. The tooltip says that it "grows in power with distance", does this mean that it heals for more the greater physical distance it travels? Or is that just saying it gets stronger as it bounces around more?

maybe a bit OT , but i was wondering what talent choices do people take for specific fights ? I found cascade works well in almost everyone , but here im talking also about lvl 100 talents and lvl 75 ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tataie View Post
    maybe a bit OT , but i was wondering what talent choices do people take for specific fights ? I found cascade works well in almost everyone , but here im talking also about lvl 100 talents and lvl 75 ones.
    Disc priest here.

I've been running with only CoW for this weeks clear. I've yet to find WoM useful.

For level 75, i've been running with PI alll the way.

We're 6/7 normal and 1/7 HC.

CoW is bad for fights you don't have time to cast it/not assigned to tank healing.

For those situations, WoM is better than nothing anyway.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Well we-re 6/7 normal and 1/7 hc also , and i've went mosty with cow and pi.The only fight i went WoM and SS was on our Brakenspore kill - WoM cuz of stacked group and HN spamm , and SS because...yeah , no mana issues.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Went CoW on all except butcher and Imperator, where I went WoM due to heavy aoe damage and shield spam and no real time/need to CoW tanks. PI and cascade on all of them, although I must admit I've done no research about the level 90s and went with gut feeling. This was 7/7 hc.

Deleted
    Well we-re 6/7 normal and 1/7 hc also , and i've went mosty with cow and pi.The only fight i went WoM and SS was on our Brakenspore kill - WoM cuz of stacked group and HN spamm , and SS because...yeah , no mana issues.
    CoW can be useful for keeping the Rejuvenating Mushroom up for longer. I wouldn't have thought WoM would be all that useful due to the amount of healing from the green mushroom. I could be wrong though.

does this mean that it heals for more the greater physical distance it travels?
    Yes. Pretty difficult to game since Cascade should go for people at the furthest distance from the prior target preferentially. Again, could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    Yes. Pretty difficult to game since Cascade should go for people at the furthest distance from the prior target preferentially. Again, could be wrong.
    Optimal strategy then might be to briefly run yourself out of raid if you can spare the positioning, cast Cascade on yourself, run back into the raid. I wish it was more clear how the distance/healing works.

For holy, 75 tier is pretty much Twist of Fate, unless its a fight with very bad up time, then PI is better.

- - - Updated - - -

For raids, I use cascade pretty much every fight, I believe it has stronger output then Halo.

Cascade does really well if you have a decent amount of melee. Fire it off in the melee and it'll bounce between the ranged and melee pile. Working on Heroic Mar'gok last night and it usually did 10% of my healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Negato View Post
    So for Halo the optimal usage is to be at max range (30 yards) out form the group before casting.
    *25 yards.

As Aimeez mentioned, you should use CoW to keep the mushroom bros alive as long as possible. At least on normal difficulty, living mushroom bros are completely capable of healing the entire raid by themselves (minus tanks and flamethrower guys, obviously).

Deleted
    I'm 6/7 normal and 1/7 hc like you guys and I play Cascade for all the encounters. Atm, for my experience, is the best choice

Quote Originally Posted by Necessarily View Post
    *25 yards.

As Aimeez mentioned, you should use CoW to keep the mushroom bros alive as long as possible. At least on normal difficulty, living mushroom bros are completely capable of healing the entire raid by themselves (minus tanks and flamethrower guys, obviously).
    We dont really have a problem with keeping the mushroom alive,at least on normal , every healer keeps an eye on it .Its the only fight i used WoM , and i also used it on Imperator at last night attempts , because with all the movement mechanic i found it hard to cast CoW.
    I agree on cascade though , its the most optimal healing/mana usage spell on the 90 tier.
    Last edited by Tataie; 2014-12-09 at 09:32 AM.

6/7 hc here. I used Cascade on all fights because I'm stubborn and hate the new Divine Star, but it ended up working in my favour. Even on Brackenspore our other disc used Divine Star and it did less healing than my Cascade. Don't know how much that has to do with correct use, but I was pretty happy with it anyway.

6/7hc here aswell. Used cascade on all fights except butcher where I went DS as healing the melee groups is the only tough part. Using WoM only on imperator since I think the raid healing outweighs the tank healing there. p3 is a complete mess.

7/7 HC here. Cascade seemed like the obvious choise on all fights except butcher where I went DS. (I'm not 100% that was "correct", but it seemed like it should have been at least ok.)

The nature of Cascade is such that I normally don't care all that much where the first charge goes, but in general I just fire it at the tank currently holding the boss.

I just macro cascade to cast on myself. It then travels to the two farthest targets. Seems like it maximizes healing and minimizes time to impact.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

Deleted
    Lvl 100 Words of Mending. Don't see really any other for it. Don't think they are worth it, might be wrong tho.
    Lvl 75 ToF. Not sure if Pi is worth it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillo View Post
    Lvl 100 Words of Mending. Don't see really any other for it. Don't think they are worth it, might be wrong tho.
    Lvl 75 ToF. Not sure if Pi is worth it either.
    As holy, sure. PI is a good choice if people aren't constantly dropping low preventing you from getting enough ToF procs. Clarity of Purpose just doesn't really have a place in raids right now.

For disc, PI is the best choice since ToF doesn't proc from shields, and CoW or Words depending on the fight and whether tank healing is needed.