Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You can if you're a subscriber. Do you consider paying a monthly subscription to be "pay to win"?
    I consider it more, don't-pay-to-lose rather than pay-to-win. Bioware really fucked up the subscription vs non-subscription stuff and how they market it.

You're not good enough to get rested xp in a cantina because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough for free respec because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to do more than X (forget the number) Flashpoints in a week because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to equip artifact level equipment because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have more than 350k credits because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have ACTION BARS BY DEFAULT because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have infinite field rez bots because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have more than 6 active characters because you're only premium...but not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have hide helmet/ match colors/ other things subscribers get by default that have absolutely nothing to do with gameplay but can actively stop people from playing (aesthetics are VERY important to some people, and not being able to hide those horrible looking helmets is a deal break for some)...because you're not a subscriber.

Rather than giving people a bonus for subscribing, they screwed the non-subscribers and kept the subscriber experience the same. I can't argue about how much money the model is making them, but it still pisses me off when I sign in as a non subscriber and see all of the stuff I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I consider it more, don't-pay-to-lose rather than pay-to-win. Bioware really fucked up the subscription vs non-subscription stuff and how they market it.

You're not good enough to get rested xp in a cantina because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough for free respec because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to do more than X (forget the number) Flashpoints in a week because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to equip artifact level equipment because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have more than 350k credits because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have ACTION BARS BY DEFAULT because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have infinite field rez bots because you're not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have more than 6 active characters because you're only premium...but not a subscriber, you're not good enough to have hide helmet/ match colors/ other things subscribers get by default that have absolutely nothing to do with gameplay but can actively stop people from playing (aesthetics are VERY important to some people, and not being able to hide those horrible looking helmets is a deal break for some)...because you're not a subscriber.

Rather than giving people a bonus for subscribing, they screwed the non-subscribers and kept the subscriber experience the same. I can't argue about how much money the model is making them, but it still pisses me off when I sign in as a non subscriber and see all of the stuff I'm missing.
    Most of these are QOL to be honest. However, the limited action bars plus the inability to augment your gear (as an example) are two of the things that put F2P players at a real disadvantage when going against P2P players, hence why some people consider it a moronic system. Same with some of the best ships in GSF that you need to buy with CC etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    It's not all cosmetic, buying UI, Buying unlocks for content relevant gear, buying, companions, buying non-expansion content is technically pay to win.

And that would be where you are wrong.

None of that is relevant to the free content.

UI with a few extra bars (not needed at F2P - I started out that way and it's just not needed, it's wanted but not needed)
    Buying unlocks for artifact gear is not needed to see any of the free - Story content.
    Buying a companion? You already get 5 just from playing. The bought ones are cool and do some interesting things but not needed and at the end of the day, you can still get them in game just from playing if you want to put in the time.

I don't think you know what pay to win actually is.

I hate how so many people just spend half their day showing off the stuff they buy from the cartel market, its just plain ridiculous.

The cartel market is interesting. If you just let it fill up, you can buy some nifty stuff after a few months.

I like the cartel market and I agree with a few above posters that some of the F2P and Preferred resctrictions should be removed, mainly the credit cap, repsec, and rested XP limitations. Some restrictions are always good to encourage subs but several F2P downgrades are a bit silly.

Not P2W at all. Everything you can get with credits. I use my CC to unlock rooms in my SH or sometimes unlock a color crystal for my legacy and legacy cargo bays. It is crazy easy to make credits. The real hitch is that you should be a subscriber. As one, it doesn't feel P2W at all. As a non-sub, it IS difficult to play an effective end game, as Edge pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I often find myself hard pressed to WANT something from the CM. Though when i play i always sub. I spend the stipends on account wide unlocks like mail and gtn in my ship, emotes, teleports etc.
    The reason being that so many people buy stuff on the Cartel Market that the GTN is often filled with stuff at incredibly low prices. Everyone trying to undercut each other to sell their armors , crystals , mounts etc from the boxes really makes my day.

When i resubbed for Shadow of Revan i got my Sith Warrior the entire set of armor that looks like Terminator , forgot the name for something like 150k credits. A run of dailies in Oricon or CZ-198 would have been enough to attain something that would cost me lots of $$$ to get by opening boxes and praying rng gods bless me.

I have not yet dedicated myself to it, because with the millions of creds i have, i could easily invest in tons of account unlocks and then play freemium forever. But i still like subbing for the XP and Rep which can only be circunvented with boosts.

I don't mind it. People sell the stuff they get from the packs on the auction house anyway, so i don't see a problem with it. I wanted the Darth Marr set for my juggernaut today, and i thought i would have to spend CC for packs, but then i realised that people were selling all the pieces on the AH for relatively cheap (i got the whole set for like 800-900k.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    I don't mind it. People sell the stuff they get from the packs on the auction house anyway, so i don't see a problem with it. I wanted the Darth Marr set for my juggernaut today, and i thought i would have to spend CC for packs, but then i realised that people were selling all the pieces on the AH for relatively cheap (i got the whole set for like 800-900k.
    Yea thats another thing I like. I don't ever have to consider the cartel market if I don't want to. I grabbed the full theron suit yesterday for less than 150K. Even if I never use it but for leveling alts it was a steal.

If anything, I could use those free coins to make in game credits by selling the cartel market items if I wanted to.

Most everything ends up on the GTN at some point. I get it that someone had to buy it and put it their but if thats what they want to do with their expendable income thats fine with me.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not P2W at all. I don't mind the restrictions, it keeps less Children playing since they tire of it fast.

Cartel Market works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    The reason being that so many people buy stuff on the Cartel Market that the GTN is often filled with stuff at incredibly low prices. Everyone trying to undercut each other to sell their armors , crystals , mounts etc from the boxes really makes my day.
    I have specific toons farming credits for specific reasons (lowbie sage for republic SH unlocks etc) one toon was farming just to get the 2.5 million credits to unlock legacy storage bay 5. She got up to 2.6, I went to buy it (was like 20 CC short to buy it that way) but it the link to look at it in the marketplace, and then saw that it was an actual item as well, so I went to the GTN... 400K. I never even thought about it until that moment, and I saved myself 2.2 million in credits.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

They had a few questionale excursions into p2w territory, I am thinking about some low level gear, the space mission starship gear, the starfighter currenvy conversion and maybe a few I can't think of right now. some people might consider the fact that you can't play operations or even wear epic gear as a f2p player p2w, I don't

generally, I am very glad that the cartel market is mostly cosmetic, I think it's fine. the p2w factor in this game is generally very low to non-existent and I expected much, much worse. they did well.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    They had a few questionale excursions into p2w territory, I am thinking about some low level gear, the space mission starship gear, the starfighter currenvy conversion and maybe a few I can't think of right now. some people might consider the fact that you can't play operations or even wear epic gear as a f2p player p2w, I don't

generally, I am very glad that the cartel market is mostly cosmetic, I think it's fine. the p2w factor in this game is generally very low to non-existent and I expected much, much worse. they did well.
    You're dead on about the star ship gear. That was a touch into the P2W area but that got quickly changed. I never had a problem with the low level gear having some stats on it because you leveled beyond it so quickly.

Over all I think they did well.

I liked the cartel market. I thought the items offered were fun and unique like the carbonite regen animation.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's whatever. When I play I just subscribe, because that's what they want you to do. Considering you get CC from subscribing, it's a win/win. Nothing on the market bothers me since you can buy it and sell it for credits on the GTN.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Its lame, and always will be but if it gives them enough money to improve the game (yet to see) then i am not fussed.

I like the cartel market

If it was easier to earn coins without paying money I'd be all for the cartel market tbh.

Deleted
    This game is free to play. If you play tghis for days and weeks, you may decide how much you ant to invest into fees and coins.
    I still think it is a fair model. You cant play wow without monthly fees, you still have to buy their expansions as well and subs don't get discounts in the Blizzard shop.

If you like this game, support it and invest some money. It helps the developer and saves the future for further improvements and expansions.
    The cartel market just helps finding the whales and people how enjoy buying some fun stuff and outfits.