Voters
19. This poll is closed
  • Priest

13 68.42%
  • Monk

6 31.58%

Question Class Indecision...

Hey all!

I'm posting this on the Monk forums as well, but I thought I'd start here to get some information. I currently have 7 100's, none of which I'm really happy with (I attribute it to my ADD). I've (finally) come to the conclusion that I would be happiest as a (probably Holy, possibly Disc) priest or Mistweaver Monk. They both are very appealing to me for different reasons.

Priests: I absolutely love the raid utility of Priests. Specifically Leap of Faith, which is my favorite ability in the game, accompanied with all of the different raid CD's and tank-saving abilities. Plus, while I've always preferred Holy, it's nice to have a second healing spec to fall back on in case I fall out of love with Holy. The downside is, I hate levelling casters. I've had 14 characters at 90 and 7 100's, none of which I levelled in a caster spec. I'm not sure if it's just Priests in particular, but it just feels a lot slower. Plus, I can't connect as well with the lore-aspect of Priests. I understand the whole Holy Light thing, but it just doesn't resonate with me like channeling the power of mists does.

Monks: I really enjoy the feel of a monk. The class feels very fluid and fast-paced. I'm also very into the lore of monks, as I lived in China and Japan for three and a half years specifically to get more in touch with the history of the two countries. The thought of flowing mist through my allies to slowly restore their health while using a Jade statue to compound on that is just a really cool concept to me. Downsides are, I don't enjoy fistweaving. Like, at all. It's the same problem as Smite priests had for me back in MoP. If I'm going to be a healer, all I want to do is heal. If it becomes mandatory to fistweave to really push myself to the limit of the class, I'd rather look elsewhere. Secondly, I'm hearing that Monks may have more mana issues than other healers? I'm not sure if this is true or not, but while I push myself to the limits with my healing, I'm always really careful to have a steady supply of mana, because something in my brain is telling me "It's horrible to not have mana, ALWAYS!". Additionally, there's just not that much raid utility for Monks. While they have very high throughput, they lack some of the "cool" abilities you see on other classes.

If I could get your guys thoughts on this, I'd be very appreciative! Thank you!

Deleted
    not sure if you're legitimately expecting an unbiased result by posting in the priest forum

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    not sure if you're legitimately expecting an unbiased result by posting in the priest forum
    Which is the reason I posted it in the monk forums as well. I'm looking for more of a "Here's why I love X class" and their reasoning may just click with me, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Spadewar View Post
    Which is the reason I posted it in the monk forums as well. I'm looking for more of a "Here's why I love X class" and their reasoning may just click with me, who knows?
    If you plan on healing, choose the priest.

If you want to DPS at all, choose the monk.

Monk healing, whether it's good or bad depending on the patch, is frustrating and unpredictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    Our guild's mistweaver at least keeps on complaining about mistweaver feeling inferior to druids and holydins (we have no healing priests in our roster), but as a holydin I agree we are slightly better in most aspects. Afaik priests are in a good state atm, discipline more than holy.

I haven't really got a thought on which is more fun to play as I have never played mistweaver at max level, and only dabbled in holy, prefer keeping my priest shadow.

My vote is that you play a holydin! jk, just my 2 cents as I am struggling with choosing my main also between ret/holydin and enh/resto shaman.

Monks and Priests are both good healers. Choose whichever you prefer. I voted for Monk, since I've never played a Monk healer, and Revival is just ridiculously overpowered.

Deleted
    then you're just comparing the mmo-c representation of each class :P
    it's an ok question but the poll is a bit pointless and you'd be better off posting it in the general wow forums

I like priests for a variety of reasons. The first of which is I do not want to tank, at all really. If I pick monk there is one spec I know I will not be using. +1 for the Priest

Second is the dps aspect. I have plenty melee dps characters so from time to time if I want to dps I'd like a ranged character just to change things up. Putting aside the ranged vs melee for a moment, the level 100 talents for Shadow Priest all change the way the spec is played quite drastically. So while both classes only have one dps spec Shadow has much more versatility, if I ever want to change things up. +1 Priest

Third is the actual healing and I will say this now, I prefer Mistweaver healing to both Holy and Disc, but it is close. That being said Priest are unique in the fact that they have two healing specs available. So while I currently greatly prefer Holy to Disc I still have the option to change things up if I want to. So while I currently like Mistweavers slightly more then Holy that might not always be the case. If Blizzard starts changing things around I have a far greater chance enjoying one of the two Priest specs more then Monk's lone spec. +1 Priest

For me it all comes down to options and the priest has a plethora of options for everything that I want to personally do.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisWithACh View Post
    I like priests for a variety of reasons. The first of which is I do not want to tank, at all really. If I pick monk there is one spec I know I will not be using. +1 for the Priest

Second is the dps aspect. I have plenty melee dps characters so from time to time if I want to dps I'd like a ranged character just to change things up. Putting aside the ranged vs melee for a moment, the level 100 talents for Shadow Priest all change the way the spec is played quite drastically. So while both classes only have one dps spec Shadow has much more versatility, if I ever want to change things up. +1 Priest

Third is the actual healing and I will say this now, I prefer Mistweaver healing to both Holy and Disc, but it is close. That being said Priest are unique in the fact that they have two healing specs available. So while I currently greatly prefer Holy to Disc I still have the option to change things up if I want to. So while I currently like Mistweavers slightly more then Holy that might not always be the case. If Blizzard starts changing things around I have a far greater chance enjoying one of the two Priest specs more then Monk's lone spec. +1 Priest

For me it all comes down to options and the priest has a plethora of options for everything that I want to personally do.
    This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you so much for your reply!

This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you so much for your reply!
    No problem, glad I was able to help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing the thread.

I'm glad you think you have found an answer - but class preference is wholly subjective, no one can tell you which class is right for you: you have to see it for yourself. The answer lies within you, and you alone
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter