Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why doesn't the US have a registered murderer list?

Was just thinking... why do you make such a list for sex offenders, but then you apparently don't care about potential murderers in your neighborhood?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    everyone is a potential murderer
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Because sex is worse than violence by American social standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Lok'tar Ogar!
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Everyone is a potential everything. That's not related to my op though. You have to be an actual offender to get on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post

Lok'tar Ogar!
    It isn't. Murder is usually punished harder than sex crimes

Given the right circumstances, anyone can kill. Takes a different type of fucked to violate a person's "no" zone.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Because sex offenders are far more dangerous and more likely to repeat. Laws were passed because of concerned citizens to track sex offenders in order to protect mainly children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Everyone is a potential everything. That's not related to my op though. You have to be an actual offender to get on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Not when equally provable it isn't. Problem with sexual offenses is that it winds up being he said she said. In the case of kids though they always get the max and wind up dead in jail because even criminals have a code and they HATE pedos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Was just thinking... why do you make such a list for sex offenders, but then you apparently don't care about potential murderers in your neighborhood?
    Recidivism isn't nearly as likely for murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Because sex offenders are far more dangerous and more likely to repeat. Laws were passed because of concerned citizens to track sex offenders in order to protect mainly children.
    So in people's minds, someone who just spent 20 years in jail is more likely to rape someone again than someone murdering?

Also, how are sex offenders more dangerous than murderers?

Deleted
    Everyone is a potential everything. That's not related to my op though

- - - Updated - - -

That's true, insofar as it being punished harsher in a court of law.

Court of social opinions and views though...

Most people would rather have a convicted murderer living near them in ignorance, than a convicted pedophile who abused Timmy.

One is deplorable and condemned by the public when it affects them, the other horrifies and collectively earns widespread condemnation and threats of death to said perpetrator.

Some even go out and hunt these individuals down.

Not so much with murderers who're spending 20 to life in prison, or who are released to a halfway house near a urban school.

As for why there isn't a register, it's partly based on societal standards regarding shock to crime and criminal history.

Why is everyone throwing around the word pedophile immediately?

Rapists get on that list unrelated to the age of their victims

- - - Updated - - -

Not when equally provable it isn't. Problem with sexual offenses is that it winds up being he said she said. In the case of kids though they always get the max and wind up dead in jail because even criminals have a code and they HATE pedos.
    Isn't that more of a myth than anything else?

Deleted
    So in people's minds, someone who just spent 20 years in jail is more likely to rape someone again than someone murdering?

Also, how are sex offenders more dangerous than murderers?
    Most murders are borne out of a commission of a crime, for example a drug deal gone wrong etc.

A sex offender preemptively makes the decision to abuse his (or her) victim and often is meticulous in their approach, rapists for example often document one area extensively and examine the demographic before assaulting their target.

The above is referencing rapists who attack random people, not those known to them.

As is similar to those whom abuse children.

There's also the rate of recidivism, murderers have a much lower rate of it than sexual offenders for repeating their crime(s).

Why is everyone throwing around the word pedophile immediately?

Rapists get on that list unrelated to the age of their victims

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that more of a myth than anything else?
    It's an easy example and point to make, it's also what motivated the creation of the register i believe.

Granted my understanding of it is rusty so...

Deleted
    because sex offenders have a higher chance to target types of people rather than a specific individual like murderers do, and those types of people tend to be more vulnerable and less able to defend themselves or minimise risk.

So its an additional step to help protect people.

you can imagine a situation where a person moves in, gets friendly with people in the area, and at some point offers to babysit.......problem is you just handed you children over to a sex offender.....

Murder, whilst a serious crime, does not fit the same pattern of offending and repeat offending. its usually targetted at specific individuals for a specific reason, or spur of the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Given the right circumstances, anyone can kill. Takes a different type of fucked to violate a person's "no" zone.
    Well... he has a point..... Killing someone, murdering them, is definitely entering a No zone as well..

He's talking about convicted murderers, not potential ones.
    And why such list doesn't exist, that's really a good question. After all, and as tragic and condemned rape should be seen.... Murder is still quite a step above on the level of seriousness.

Imo, neither list should exist, definitely not as public record.
    The sex offender registry is a horrendous tool. It causes more harm than good.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Stop believing everything you see on Tv.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Stop believing everything you see on Tv.
    Indeed.

Most prisons will throw sex offenders into immediate protection or a supervised wing for vulnerable inmates, and then there are prisons created specifically to house them.

Some are assaulted, it's true, some do get killed, but that's largely in a super-max setting where everyone is serving life effectively.

i looked it up.

In a study of 231 sex offenders placed on probation in Philadelphia between 1966 and 1969, 11 percent were rearrested for a sex offense and 57 percent were rearrested for any offense (Romero and Williams, 1985). Rice, Harris, and Quinsey (1990) conducted a more recent study of 54 rapists who were released from prison before 1983. After four years, 28 percent had a reconviction for a sex offense and 43 percent had a conviction for a violent offense.

the only thing i could find for murder is a statistic coming from new york alone. there, it is about 6% within the first 3 years.

there seems to be a significant difference (if you wanna call 6-11 sig), but seeing as i would put murder above rape in seriousness, i still think, personally, that it's more about fearmongering and media hype

Even sex offender registers have dubious legal justification, they encourage vigilantism and prevent rehabilitation and re-integration.

There is some logic to it however, there are often mitigating circumstances to murder. Also I think recidivism rates for murder are a lot lower.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Then why is the death penalty only able to be applied to murder and no other crime, no matter how heinous?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    i looked it up.

In a study of 231 sex offenders placed on probation in Philadelphia between 1966 and 1969, 11 percent were rearrested for a sex offense and 57 percent were rearrested for any offense (Romero and Williams, 1985). Rice, Harris, and Quinsey (1990) conducted a more recent study of 54 rapists who were released from prison before 1983. After four years, 28 percent had a reconviction for a sex offense and 43 percent had a conviction for a violent offense.

the only thing i could find for murder is a statistic coming from new york alone. there, it is about 6% within the first 3 years.

there seems to be a significant difference, but seeing as i would put murder above rape in seriousness, i still think, personally, that it's more about fearmongering and media hype
    Pretty much.

Most people don't care about Jamal killing Tyrone, or Arthur shooting his wife Linda.

The immediate family will of course, but that's another death in the grand scheme of the world.

Throw in a innocent white woman, or a young child and a grievous sexual offender; The press will go into overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Even sex offender registers have dubious legal justification, they encourage vigilantism and prevent rehabilitation and re-integration.

There is some logic to it however, there are often mitigating circumstances to murder. Also I think recidivism rates for murder are a lot lower.

Then why is the death penalty only able to be applied to murder and no other crime, no matter how heinous?
    Because it would encourage people to kill their victims to lower their chances of being found

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Varies by state.

I know of five that signed legislation allowing the passing of a death sentence of child abuser, i think 2 of the five states require them to be repeat offenders or particularly heinous.

Edit; States are FL, OK, NC, LA, and MT.

Will grab their legal codes if you want to read them.
    Last edited by mmoc1aca3196c5; 2014-12-08 at 11:19 PM.