How would YOU fix Necrotic Plague?

I really like the concept behind Necrotic Plague, but the implementation isn't so great. Here's how I would fix it.

1) Special-case for Unholy baseline performance and to make Festerblight worthwhile. Perhaps allow Unholy to go up to 20 stacks.
    2) Special-case so Blood can re-apply at 1 stack without burning a rune.
    3) Performance needs to be tuned substantially higher for everybody. It should perform ~2% below Defile on single targets, and comparable to Defile on sustained (>25s) AE. Defile (and certainly BoS) should be much better on burst AE.
    4) Front-load it more; change base damage to be much higher at 1 stack, and each additional stack to provide less damage.
    5) Remove the Runic Power proc and change to a stacking damage shield, absorbing X% of maximum health per incoming attack from a diseased target with a 1s internal cooldown. (Compare to Defile; tuned to be less bursty mitigation but comparable sustained at 1 target, better sustained at >2).
    6) Change Plaguebearer to additionally add 1 NPlague stack for each Death Coil/Frost Strike multistrike.
    7) Change Plague Leech to leech 7 stacks rather than the entire disease. If less than 7 stacks are active on the target, revert to the old behavior and leech the entire disease.

Think that just about covers it. What did I miss?
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-12-08 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    3) Performance needs to be tuned substantially higher for everybody. It should perform ~2% below Defile on single targets, and comparable to Defile on sustained (>25s) AE. Defile (and certainly BoS) should be much better on burst AE.
    If NP is tuned below Defile on single target, tuned worse on burst aoe, and comparable for sustained aoe...when would you ever take it?

If Defile is a 5% single target gain, best case scenario (boss never moves and/or you get all ticks), then NP should be a 4% gain. Maybe 3.5%.

Just special-case it for pvp. Make it x% less damage to players or something. Or only stacks to 10 vs players.

It's a weird ability that starts with a boring premise (a disease that replaces your existing diseases) and then tacks on some colorful attributes to try and add interest. I'd almost rather have it as a third disease or as a passive that changes how the existing two diseases work. The thing I like least about it in practice is the "cannot be refreshed" part, which violates the general rule of how periodic damage works. It is frustrating to see it ticking down and be unable to overwrite it.

If I had to throw out an idea, how about having it stack in reverse, from 15 counting down. Maybe give it a hard 30 second duration limit, but have abilities which refresh it increase the number of stacks. It would have intuitive interaction with plaguebearer.

Deleted
    NP should never replace the other diseases.

Id love those changes, the problem is, I worry they basically only want to change AP coefficients. Not stack sizes or functionality. Even my suggestions probably dont work.

I used it on tectus, because i like NP as unholy 15 stack uptime all the time and it spreads to all adds,

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Deleted
    what u write above will never make it viable for frost just so you know.
    you are looking to much into buffing it to unholy and blood while ignoring the frost side of it, issue one of frost.

It will fall off, thus making it have to be reapplied,frost cant afford to pick it due to our rune starving system thus making plague leach useless.

the whole issue is not just necrotic plague.

Remove outbreak from the game or add it as talent(replacing plague leach)

Change plague leech to this, Applies all your diseases to your target, if your target are already effected by diseases it grants you a deathrune per disease(necrotic counts as two even if its one disease) but if u dont have the talent and only have one of the other it results in just one death rune.

in return change this ability to cost runic power instead(low cost) and place a 12 second cooldown.

Remove necrotic as you say to give runic power.

For blood every time it deals damage it gives a heal of 100% of its damage and a shield(only works on ONE target) so aoe and gain multiple shield and heals dont work)
    Keep unholy as it is, it just needs better % scaling and base damage its already ok for unholy.

For Frost everytime you obliterate(2h),or frost strike(due to make it viable for dw) The plague pulses and deals additional DMG, and increases its lifespan duration with 1 second.

Note that frost strike pulse only works for dw, and obliterate only if u carry a 2hander.
    (change for DK:S so if u change weapons during combat u lose all your runic power, to avoid weapon swapping exploit here)

This would make frost dw more inline with Unholy and frost 2h(they froststrike more than u can ever obliterate)

and also lets be honest, to fix DK in a long term they need to change the new talents to buff frost and blood not much on unholy, sure make them viable but dont give them same strenght as frost for dps measure, becuse then u make the same mistake same gap, instead make it better a little bit for frost 2h than uh and abit more for DW frost(since they are furthest behind)

And give blood some sort of mitigation, becuse that is what they are lacking atm, funny enuff blood dk:s got many cd:S but they aint enuff
    Last edited by mmoc7e86bf450a; 2014-12-09 at 12:49 AM.

I would make it replace the dot that is not fitting the spec, while keeping BP/FF depending on spec.

Replace FF for unh, and BP for Frost.
    And adjust numbers accordingly of course.

should be possible to start with more than 1 stack based on target health. 100% hp = 1. 10% hp = 15. etc...
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2014-12-09 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Algroda View Post
    If NP is tuned below Defile on single target, tuned worse on burst aoe, and comparable for sustained aoe...when would you ever take it?
    Sure. It's the passive option, it should be lower damage than an active ability like Defile or a really active ability with tons of micromanagement like BoS. Just not like, 5% of your total damage lower.

I love Mione's ideas. I tried to keep to the original design of the ability myself, but her changes would be a lot sexier.

Deleted
    I'd remove the RP generation when you get hit and add a new effect that summons a minor Undead Minion which can attack 3 times before decaying again whenever the DoT ticks at 15 stacks. Atleast for Unholy anyway, fits the theme of the spec imo.

Deleted
    i agree with you 100% here if an ability that is upkeep 100% with no cd deals same or more damage as an active talent that has no burst damage like BOS there is not point to take it.

Defile should deal more damage than necrotic plague, no question but necrotic also need to deal more damage.

But it also need to be fixed for frost to be viable to be picked up. reason why its so good for unholy its you can keep it max stacked on the boss 24/7.

frost cannot do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadwraith View Post
    I'd remove the RP generation when you get hit and add a new effect that summons a minor Undead Minion which can attack 3 times before decaying again whenever the DoT ticks at 15 stacks. Atleast for Unholy anyway, fits the theme of the spec imo.
    neat idea i actually would like it to come a ghoul jumping from diffrent angles and hit.

problem is as said is would be frost needs somthing then to, like when it become permafrost instead of necrotic plague. merges both diseases and deal shadowfrost dmg. but it dont expire instead it starts at onestack but everytime you hit with and ability within 15 second duration it applies a stack increasing damage taken,both physical and frost damage(wich also increases the dots damage).

i dunno :S

My suggestion will be max stacks of 10. (Have it deal the same amount of damage/possibly more)
    I would also have it so dispels only remove half the stacks so its not so crushing to have the disease removed when you spent all that time getting it to max stacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    AP coeffs tuned differently per spec.
    Necrotic Plague now stacks up to 5 times, down from 15. Necrotic Plague no longer generates Runic Power when a target attacks you.
    Necrotic Plague gains a stack every time it ticks, like its previous incarnation.
    Necrotic Plague's duration may now be refreshed like a normal disease by using Outbreak, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, or Blood Boil (Blood). These abilities will also add a stack to the current application of Necrotic Plague, just like current. Plaguebringer will no longer add stacks and instead increase its duration, like regular diseases.
    Whenever Necrotic Plague reaches 6 stacks, it explodes, (maybe dealing damage), granting you a special effect depending on spec, reverting back to 1 stack, and infecting all targets within X yards with Necrotic Plague, for a duration equal to the current remaining duration of Necrotic Plague.
    Blood: Whenever Necrotic Plague explodes, it will grant you a stack of Crimson Scourge. Cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.
    Frost: Whenever Necrotic Plague explodes, it will grant you a stack of Killing Machine and make your next Obliterate heal you for X% of damage dealt. Cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.
    Unholy: Whenever Necrotic Plague explodes, it will grant you a stack of Sudden Doom and make your next Death Coil heal you for Y% of damage dealt. Cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.

Basically regular buffed up diseases instead of replacing them entirely, spreading automagically and giving you an extra proc once in a while (hooray you can now play around a guaranteed KM once in a while, woo!). Had no real ideas about defensive effect to replace the rp gen, so random shit thrown in.
    This is a super cool idea. I worry since we are already 'livelords' in PVP, the extra healing might be a little OP. However it creates some interesting game-play, and puts more urgency for it to be dispelled since the extra KMs and SDs is going to create a lot of pressure.
    Might seem like a death coil machine gun with Plaguebearer talent selected. :P