Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destro proving grounds Silver

Hi, made the mistake of only finishing levelling my warlock alt after the HUGE nerf to Rain of Fire, and now I don't have enough AOE to get through Silver Proving grounds. I consistently get to Wave 5/8, the first wave with little adds and a healer, and I just can't get them down.

I have to concentrate on the healer to interrupt him, which doesn't give many options for AOE, other than Cataclysm which tends to be on cooldown from the first AOE group. I've tried Infernal, Demonic Servitude with an Infernal (disaster as it's AOE was awful, and I lost the interrupt), and a few other things

Do I have to learn another spec for proving grounds now?

Quote Originally Posted by Elaris View Post
    Hi, made the mistake of only finishing levelling my warlock alt after the HUGE nerf to Rain of Fire, and now I don't have enough AOE to get through Silver Proving grounds. I consistently get to Wave 5/8, the first wave with little adds and a healer, and I just can't get them down.

I have to concentrate on the healer to interrupt him, which doesn't give many options for AOE, other than Cataclysm which tends to be on cooldown from the first AOE group. I've tried Infernal, Demonic Servitude with an Infernal (disaster as it's AOE was awful, and I lost the interrupt), and a few other things

Do I have to learn another spec for proving grounds now?
    Happen to know what fire and brimstone is?

yep, a semi-effective AOE that burns embers way faster than I can generate them. That was the other thing the RoF nerf did, I don't get embers from that

It's a good idea in theory but I can't make that one work either. I even tried the Charred Remains talent a few times. sure it gave me a chunk more AOE, but I lost so much single target I went from having time left at the end of the groups with large mobs, to not managing them at all
    Last edited by Elaris; 2014-12-09 at 12:19 AM.

I did it in Destro with Cataclysm and the Observer pet out.

Big AOE, focus the healer first, position to not have to spend the whole time running from Amber balls. Surprised me that I had to take a few attempts tbh (missed interrupts or getting Ambered), but after a few goes you should probably get it.

Deleted
    I did it before RoF nerf, and I didn't use it once through the entire challenge :P

I specced Cataclysm, it was enough for the small vermin adds. For the big ones - use your fear on the healers and shadowfury to interrupt later, remember to Havoc bigger adds. Summon Doomguard for the last waves (might be for ending of 7th, I believe, it lasted into 8th as well).

It took me a couple tries but I don't remember doing anything special. You can use the Observer or you can use the perma-Infernal, or probably anything you like as long as you blow up the healers first.

You need to switch up your talents. If you are doing it with Sac now and you can't generate enough embers then you don't need to be using the talent. The proving grounds isn't about using your raid DPS talent build and glyphs. You need more utility and more options.

I did it with Sac, but that is just me. I know its easier to do using some pets and their abilities and using all of your various utility options.

Demo, Felguard. You can use Felstorm on every small add pull, stuns for the healer and charge for the banana tossing dude if you go golds. It's also got fantastic burst with Demonbolt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it after the nerf at item level 608 with GoSup, AD and DS. I almost failed it on my first try at silver. I screwed up my positioning in an attempt to stun the healer in the double amber wave and ended up being chain-stunned 4 or 5 times by interlocking amber blobs. I only had 1 second left on the timer on that wave but pulled through. I failed it once on gold however. I've never done it before and I wasn't paying full attention to what the banana-tossing monkey did to me with his debuff and only realized it to late when he was already at the other side of the room.

So, I'd say it's perfectly doable as destro as I'm by no means an exceptional player. With the above mentioned setup you get a silence from your Terrorguard that helps with the healer interrupts and you should also use Shadowfury as the healers are the ones most likely to ruin your day. Oh, and use Burning Rush for fast re-positioning (setting up amber stuns which makes the stunned mob take a lot of extra damage and also for quickly moving to the non-shielded side of those big guys).

*Easy priority system: Kill healers first, ambers second and then clean up the remaining mobs. Go with your instincts though, I think I saved an amber mob for last once in order to make use of his stun (and extra damage taken debuff) on the other remaining mobs.

*Make use of Havoc + Ember consumers as often as possible.

*Your terrorguard does a lot of damage. If you're circling around one of those shielded mobs in order to attack it from behind, feel free to have your terrorguard remain in position and attack something else in order to not miss out on dps.

*Fire and Brimstone is still useful since you can snipe a lot of targets with SB and keep embers rolling in that way.

*Keep in mind that you can make an amber guy stun himself simply by standing behind his back. The amber blob will spawn in front of him and start moving in your direction so if you're right behind him he'll stun himself and take a lot of extra damage from your attacks.

Good luck and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm... turns it into a total faceroll (as if it wasn't to begin with)

Deleted
    the only problem you should have in prooving grounds is, if you overlook that there is a spinning banana throwing ape, you had to burst down asap.

cataclysm as mentioned is the best option for prooving grounds
    FnB is your friend in every aoe phase, just do not fuck it up, switch it off before you hit <1 ember, you want to SB every time it is possible.
    if you play your class good you should enter and exit every round with 4 embers

I did it on my first try using Terrorguard (upgraded Doomguard) pet.

Havoc + Shadowburn generates the embers you need for Fire and Brimstone and Rain of Fire is still useful for helping on multiple enemies.

Havoc + Chaos Bolt also works for the little guys quite well.

If you pay attention to the creatures health, you should be able to Shadowburn often enough to come into each round capped on embers and start the AoE phases with RoF+FnB+Immolate+Incinerate x 2+ Havoc + Shadowburn and you should just cycle through enemies using Shadowburn and be capped when everything is dead.

Little addition to the other tips:
    I did it with perma Terrorguard and Shadowfury. Also, very first thing I did was to place demonic circle and gateway to get around the shielded mobs more quickly what gave me more time on nuking the small targets. Careful with the embers tough - they will hit you if you travel through them from one gateway to the other.

yep, a semi-effective AOE that burns embers way faster than I can generate them. That was the other thing the RoF nerf did, I don't get embers from that
    in proving grounds? where constantly mobs die that you can shadowburn? you should start each wave with 30+ ember bits. which makes using F/B very easy on the aoe waves.

The easiest way to handle the double healer aoe pack, or the aoe pack with two banana tossers - Cataclysm! Double healers? Glyph fear one at the start, focus the other.

When doing Endless, with 2 seconds before the third wave, pre-cast cataclysm right in the middle. Basically kills everything except the adds further out which can be single targetted down or whatever.

Also, you should always be at max embers besides the start of wave 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodemus View Post
    Also, you should always be at max embers besides the start of wave 1.
    I'm identifying this as one of the major problems I'm having, after extensive testing on a training dummy, it takes me from 3 to 5 minutes to get to full embers, using ONLY ember generating abilties and not using any. I've only managed to get to 13.45% crit, unbuffed, at 623 item level, not sure what that scales down to in proving grounds, but it's got to be a factor

I'm identifying this as one of the major problems I'm having, after extensive testing on a training dummy, it takes me from 3 to 5 minutes to get to full embers, using ONLY ember generating abilties and not using any. I've only managed to get to 13.45% crit, unbuffed, at 623 item level, not sure what that scales down to in proving grounds, but it's got to be a factor
    That isn't even possible....Incinerate gives 1 emberbit (out of the 10 needed for an ember). Let's assume that you have 0 haste and 0 crit. That means that your incinerates are 2 seconds each and give 1 emberbit. That means 40casts=4 embers. 40 casts*2 seconds per cast = 80 seconds. That is assuming you NEVER crit (which gives double), you never conflag, you never immolate, and you have no haste to increase cast speed....

Its possible if you spend the entire time running around with your eyes closed yodeling the US national anthem while a monkey jumps up and down on your keyboard.

But otherwise, yeah, seems like it would be hard otherwise.

Hell, I'm pretty sure you can take grim surv and demonic surv and literally just afk while your doomguard kills everything for you. brb gonna go test this

Edit: I was wrong, I could only get to p3 by just clicking my doomguards doombolt ability and changing targets. Looks like you'll have to hit a button every once in awhile
    Last edited by Killface1; 2014-12-12 at 01:16 AM.

It's 4:30AM and I got bored since I can't sleep. Went into Silver proving grounds and made a video of me not even attempting to try with the exception of the 7th wave (probably the "hardest" although I feel silly even saying that to be honest) and even on that I had ~32 seconds left.

http://www.twitch.tv/novxz/b/598380589

I honestly think the only way I could have tried even less is if I clicked and keyboard-turned the full time rather than just when I was lazy

Proving grounds ain't no joke