Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me in Louisiana they(the government) they forced people to speak English. The children could not even speak French on the playgrounds with each other or they would get in trouble. Them trying to get them to speak English happened after Louisiana became a state. Some parents refused to send their children to school because of this, but they forced them to, so they choose to bring their children to a private french school(which ironically taught French and not cajun french). Then they forced all schools to teach in English instead of French, and parents pretty much were pretty hesitant to teach their kids French because it got them in trouble.

Moral of this history lesson? While what you are doing is trying to make sure everyone is able to communicate each other, it can kill a language and kill part of their culture. Very few people now can speak Cajun French. Soon those who can will die and it will just be a thing of the past. Don't impose people to change their language, don't punish them to use it. Most people speak German in Germany, most of the signs/writing is in German, what are you worried about? People will assimilate to understand it, but don't change their culture/heritage. Chill out.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    You would (or wouldn't?) be surprised how many Germans support this statement.
    I wouldn't. Probably a lot of rank-and-file Germans (and Spanish, and Italians, and French, and British, etc) look back at what they know of their own culture and history and art and architecture and law and, yes, language, and see something as good or better than any of the available alternatives, and want to preserve that. Why shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I wouldn't. Probably a lot of rank-and-file Germans (and Spanish, and Italians, and French, and British, etc) look back at what they know of their own culture and history and art and architecture and law and, yes, language, and see something as good or better than any of the available alternatives, and want to preserve that. Why shouldn't they?
    And the way to accomplish that is to encourage the mongrel races to speak their language, intermingle, and thus corrupt the blood of honest Germans even more thoroughly than they were previously?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    People will assimilate to understand it, but don't change their culture/heritage. Chill out.
    Some people think differently.
    Turkish Prime Minister says ‘assimilation is a crime against humanity’

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has told Turks living in Europe that they do not need to assimilate into their host societies. Erdogan was addressing an audience of 20,000 Turks gathered in Cologne on Sunday. The audience included Turks living in France, Belgian and the Netherlands, as well as in Germany. Erdogan told the crowd. ....
    He said, "Assimilation is a crime against humanity."
    http://www.thelocal.de/20080211/10293

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    The pursuit of multiculturalism has only created segregated communities of immigrants; whose interactions outside that community are harshly limited by their inability to speak the language. A common language helps to spur integration into society by removing the communication barrier between citizens. Creating a better integrated society.

By pushing immigrants to use the common language of the society they are in, you are not pushing them out of society, you are bringing them into it.
    Implying societal integration on nationalistic levels is even relevant any more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Some people think differently.

http://www.thelocal.de/20080211/10293
    Um what? Assimilating does not mean giving up your language/culture. You can have both. Yes some things might have conflicts, but mostly no.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    It helps if you actually live in the country before giving out your statements. We've millions of turkish and whatever other people in this country - I personally know alot of families who live 30+ years in this country and cant fucking talk german. They're here for the free moneyz, glad the government is blocking such bahaivor.
    You guys should make them wear special green arm bands with a star and crescent on them. You know, just so everyone knows they're Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    And the way to accomplish that is to encourage the mongrel races to speak their language, intermingle, and thus corrupt the blood of honest Germans even more thoroughly than they were previously?
    Well, at least nobody's going to be absurdist or hyperbolic in response. Look, the outlets of the impulse are not always constructive, but if you don't understand the motive and realize that it's not ill-conceived or far fetched (in Germany's case, that Germans actually like the idea that people coming there from elsewhere are coming for Germany qua Germany, not to counter-assimilate into something else -- whether that's too much American fast food, or as the northern expanse of dar al Islam.

Deleted
    if you want to be a citizen of a country it's very reasonable that you need to be fluent in (one of) the national language(s).

if you want to reside permanently in a country but not become it's citizen, you should not have to learn the language but obviously also not enjoy the benefits being a citizen provides. (i.e. cant vote, require visa/permit, can be kicked out if you dont meet the visa requirements, etc. should still pay tax and receive social programs ofc)

if you seek asylum you should be accepted without questions as long as the country decides the reason for your asylum is valid. for permanent residency once the reason for your asylum is no longer valid you would have to move into one of the above two categories.

the only two problem are becoming a citizen trough marriage, but at least in that case at least 1 party would already be fluent in the language so it's likely the kids will be too. And children born of asylum seekers who are citizen by birth, guess the parents then cant be kicked out anymore and the burden of integrating the child would then primarily fall on the education system.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2014-12-09 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What do you think in the family means if not at home?
    The difference is "urge" as opposed to "demand" one of which implies they're making into law that one may only speak German. That is, one can be arrested and prosecuted for not speaking German in ones own home. That is wrong on many levels and absolutely anyone with some sense would disagree with it. However from the article linked that's not what was happening. The title of the thread is misleading. It simple says they want to urge immigrants to assimilate. I see nothing wrong with that. You may disagree, and that's fine, but I would hope one would recognize that it is something very different from putting legislation forth that restricts what language one can speak in their home.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    You would (or wouldn't?) be surprised how many Germans support this statement.

I don't think this was a party request but rather some regional crackpot. I admittedly didn't read much about it but seems to be some low level official in some small part of Bavaria. Hopefully the end of his political career is the only outcome of this idiotic nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    German nationalism on the rise!
    The 4th Reich has already taken over Europe without a single shot fired.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    The title of the thread is misleading. It simple says they want to urge immigrants to assimilate. I see nothing wrong with that.
    No its a thinveiled demand if you "urge" somebody from a position of power imbalance its rarely a friendly request.
    A polite way would be to dress it up in a constructive manner and present studys or educate over the benefits or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if you want to be a citizen of a country it's very reasonable that you need to be fluent in (one of) the national language(s).
    Not necessarily.

Where I live (Toronto) we have a huge Chinese community that mostly do very well and are extremely productive. A lot of them don't really speak a whole lot of English and I can't really say that I see a problem with this. If they want to pay taxes and be model citizens all by them selves so be it. It's a pity but not really my decision to make.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    Not necessarily.

Where I live (Toronto) we have a huge Chinese community that mostly do very well and are extremely productive. A lot of them don't really speak a whole lot of English and I can't really say that I see a problem with this. If they want to pay taxes and be model citizens all by them selves so be it. It's a pity but not really my decision to make.
    Are you sure they are citzens and not permanent residents?

The link below says you must be able to have everyday conversations in english or french to become a citizen. Though i imagine this may be waived at times for various reasons. Or i suppose they could have married or been born into citizenship.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ligibility.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    No its a thinveiled demand if you "urge" somebody from a position of power imbalance its rarely a friendly request.
    A polite way would be to dress it up in a constructive manner and present studys or educate over the benefits or something.
    Well what is the German government going to do about it? Are they going to bug homes and arrest people who aren't speaking German?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Implying societal integration on nationalistic levels is even relevant any more.
    It is more relevant then ever with the rise of extremism in immigrant populations.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Well what is the German government going to do about it? Are they going to bug homes and arrest people who aren't speaking German?
    Nothing its just pure attention whoring.

The Masterplan goes something like this
    Step 1. Nonconstructive critic: Make a statement like "We would rather not have them..." or "We would rather have them do ..."
    Step 2. Media outrage and controversy
    Step 3. Dont commit genocide dont wiretap the entire country
    Step 4. Get votes from the right fringegroups
    Step 5. Pretend you never said anything

Oh come on. Everybody knows the CSU are a bunch of nuts. Just like the Teaparty. Just ignore them. Luckily those guys only exist in Bavaria.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Oh come on. Everybody knows the CSU are a bunch of nuts. Just like the Teaparty. Just ignore them. Luckily those guys only exist in Bavaria.
    They are part of the goverment right now the teaparty not really. :X