Transmorg the slot, not the gear?

What would you guys think of Transmorgrification being applied to the equipment slot itself and not the gear put in it? You can switch gear around but the transmog itself does not change.

this would probably require a lot of code changing and new code that is probably completely unnecessary for such a minor convenience. Plus people with more than one gear set for different spec roles (which is less of an issue with the spec specific gear we have these days but not totally eliminated) will be at a disadvantage in turn.

Ofcourse this could be included with the future transmorg wardrobe system/ui improvements blizz mentioned they would some day do. With options that eliminate the above disadvantage.

I would like this. But Blizzard seems to like the gold sink of us having to re-tmog everytime we get a gear upgrade, so I doubt they will do it soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanx...

I use the transmog to be able to see (without pressing any buttons), if my gear match the spec..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

gold-sink...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye no chance in this happening since blizzard want the gold we have to be spend on stuff like T-mog and such so no it sounds like a awesome Idea but to blizzard and me personally it sounds like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Solased View Post
    Ye no chance in this happening since blizzard want the gold we have to be spend on stuff like T-mog and such so no it sounds like a awesome Idea but to blizzard and me personally it sounds like a bad idea.
    Blizzard wants our gold?

Its awesome. Idea. they need to throw away the whole plate only on plate, etc.

Deleted
    tbh its not a very significant gold sink, so i wouldn't be shocked if they did come out with a system like this one day, perhaps when they add in that elusive transmog tab?

altho as Fuxie said, its good to be able to tell which of your gear-sets you are wearing. I use different mogs for different specs, as well as between PvE and PvP gear. Perhaps tying the slot-based mog options to the gear-set options could solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Civfanata View Post
    they need to throw away the whole plate only on plate, etc.
    I've been holding on to gear I shouldn't for years hoping that would happen someday. They probably won't ever do it, but then again that's also what people before transmog even came out, and I was so happy to be a person who hoarded everything.

I would love a system where you transmog the slot, I think SWtOR is going to be switching to that system soon... I'm not sure whether Blizz would do it. My initial reaction was no, but then I think they also said that they're kinda sorta looking for a way to improve the transmog system in terms of inventory space (am I totally wrong about that?), so, who knows.

Actually, what I really want out of transmog more than anything is to be able to go back and retrieve rewards from quests we've completed and maybe thrown away or wanted a different item from. I'm still pissed that my paladin completed the quest for the Crazed Cenarion Cloak (I think that was the name, it was a quest just outside Shattrath), which was a really nice cloak in Stormwind colors. But I either picked a different reward or deleted the cloak, and it's the only one in the game with that graphic, so there's no way I can ever get it again. The Thrall questline in Cataclysm was another one where I really liked the design of the cloak reward, but you could only pick one color of it. I would've loved the other version.
    Last edited by Forumchibi; 2014-12-09 at 05:50 PM.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The whole "you can only mog your armor type" crap is the same reason druids cannot use toys, so that pvpers can tell what they're fighting, why not have their class symbol over their head when using overhead nameplates. I want to be a warrior in the most "normal clothes" cloth set I can find, (oh and hidden shoulders too)
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

I know Blizzard likes the gold sink of having to transmog each and every upgrade, however it's very very small so I doubt they'll hold onto it. I'd love to see this better version of transmogging, since every other game has this system. I'd even be okay with paying more to transmog, since we'd only have to do it once. They could also add multiple "transmog sets" so we can switch outfits on the fly. Unlocking these extra sets could cost some hefty gold too, so more gold sinks.

But of course this would probably cost us a raid tear...

The problem arises with weapons though. Mogging the slot to sword then getting a fist weapon.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Applying it to a per-slot basis, even per spec is simply not going to work if you have more than one set for a spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    The problem arises with weapons though. Mogging the slot to sword then getting a fist weapon.
    And this is another good point.

Transmog is OPTIONAL.
    If you are replacing pieces that regularly, then perhaps hold off on the cosmetic stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Applying it to a per-slot basis, even per spec is simply not going to work if you have more than one set for a spec.
    Why would it matter if you have multiple sets or specs? That's the whole point of the request for transmogging to the slot and not the gear, so that no matter what you put on you retain the look you want. Even if the gear itself is different, it still occupies the same spaces - helmets on the head, pants on the legs, boots on the feet, etc. It's not like those spots will be empty, you still need gear in all of them for the stats. The only exception would be the conversion between a 1H and a 2H weapon. So just exclude the weapon slots then.

As for the weapons point, I think the question then is that is it really necessary for there to be restrictions on weapon transmog? If I can use a sword normally, and I like the look of swords, should I really be denied being able to transmog to a sword when my BiS is a dagger? Does it break the game if I'm wielding a fist weapon but run around looking like I have a mace? The only class I know where weapon type makes any sort of difference is rogues, and I don't know if that's even still the case anymore. Again, I can see the 1H-2H difference, I don't get what the big deal is otherwise and why that restriction was made in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumchibi View Post
    Why would it matter if you have multiple sets or specs?
    Pretty sure it's so you can tell at a glance that you've switched to the gear you intend to use, for the Spec you think you're in. I know I've done that - a peripheral look at my character while focusing elsewhere on the screen reassures me I'm wearing the "right gear" for what I intend to do at the moment. If I'm switching gear back and forth and it all looks the same because the slot was mogged and the armor pieces weren't, I'll need to open up my character window to check and sometimes that's a bit of an out of the way thing to do when I need to be able to see my full screen. It can also remind me that I've forgotten to switch specs and gear.

I could be wrong.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Pretty sure it's so you can tell at a glance that you've switched to the gear you intend to use, for the Spec you think you're in. I know I've done that - a peripheral look at my character while focusing elsewhere on the screen reassures me I'm wearing the "right gear" for what I intend to do at the moment. If I'm switching gear back and forth and it all looks the same because the slot was mogged and the armor pieces weren't, I'll need to open up my character window to check and sometimes that's a bit of an out of the way thing to do when I need to be able to see my full screen. It can also remind me that I've forgotten to switch specs and gear.

I could be wrong.
    Couldn't you tell what spec you're in just by looking at your abilities?

Also, my gear doesn't automatically switch when I switch specs. So unless I manually change my set, it's quite possible that I could be in my Gear Set 1 and in Spec 2.

As for the argument about weapon slots - there's nothing keeping them from simply allowing transmog to any weapon you're able to equip. There's no reason that swords *can't* be transmogged into fist weapons, other than Blizzard simply being stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Transmorgrification being applied to the equipment slot itself and not the gear put in it?
    Yes, please.

It would solve all my t-mog problems as I simply cannot stand loosing overall look due to certain gear replacement. It's hard (well, financially unjustified) to go to transmogrifier every time I get new stuff. So most of the time I stick with weird gear combinatiions until Im ok with it stat wise. Only then i go and t-mog it into what I desire.

So in the end I am given really cool option that I'm not using much due to: 1. annoying (requires break from leveling, travel to t-mog NPC and back), 2. time consuming and 3. purse taxing (the better gear you have, the higher the mog cost). Sure it's an optional. As AC in your car. You shouldn't be complaining about AC turn on mechanics that involve visiting service station (limited to capital city only) and paying moderate fee, right?

And one more note - take a look at Wildstar. They have something called "costumes". You get additional character tab with slots to be filled with stuff. You simply drag and drop items to corresponding slots and voila! That slot gets appearance of dropped item. Pure visuals only. And you can have multiple sets at your disposal. In Wildstar it is tied with levels. The higher character level, the more "costume sets" available.

That system perfectly joins BOTH Blizzard's small gold sink with OUR freedom to shape our looks. In Wildstar you are required to visit "costume NPC" (Wildstar transmogrifier) who allows you to set certain costume set. Payment/fee is required to save it. But once it's saved it's available till next paid change. The only drawback of Wildstar's system is that it "consumes" the item. It means that if you want to use certain item (let it be weapon) in more than one costume set, you are required to have that many copies of that weapon. But it's minor inconvenience.

Anyway, with that system I can place an illusion of full tuxedo suit while being all HC raid gear. I don't need to stick to one transmogrified gear set. I can use ONE costume for all of my specs, I can have different costumes for different specs/occasions. I could use WoW transmogrification system at it's full.

Final note: my suggestion on how to implement Wildstar's system into WoW (a system in which both sides are happy, players with free will on shaping "costumes/transmogrification" and Blizzard with limited t-mog NPC and gold sinks.

As Arcane Reforger NPC was removed, Blizz could in his place introduce new one: Visage Shaper.

Visage Shaper would combine Void Storage and Transmogrifier into new service: upon interaction we will have a character screen pop up, but with empty slots. Next we wold fill those slots (with pre-view) to design final visage outcome. The more stuff placed the higher gold cost of creation - like t-mogging works now. First set is free with next 9 available to purchase/unlock (hunter's pet stable UI asks to be reused). Progressive unlock cost: 10g per 2nd, 50g per 3rd, 100g per 4th, 250g per 5th and flat 500 per every other. It could also have lvl requirement.

Thoughts?

Lotro has a system like this. Slightly different but still the same base idea. You just have cosmetic pages on your character tab. You equip the tab with the cosmetics of your choice and it will override the gear you are wearing with the new designs. So if you replace any gear, it will automatically adjust to that cosmetic tab appearance.

Shame the game is crap, it did or does have a few good ideas to it.