Unholy Blood Boil playstyle

Can anyone explain how the Blood Boil play-style for Unholy works or if my understanding is correct? It seems kind of unintuitive and obnoxious to blast Blood Boil on all Death Runes but the logs don't lie. Unholy players who aren't playing this style are struggling to even hit 18-20k. I know Blizzard has stated they didn't want this spec to become viable but it doesn't appear they're changing it, not to mention without this play-style I fear it would drop us to middle of the pack and with all crybabies whining for un-needed DK nerfs I might as well enjoy it while it lasts. Here is what I understand of it, just rune wise:

Festering Strike (Blood and Frost Runes)
    Scourge Strike (Unholy Runes/Defile on CD)
    Blood Boil (Death Runes)

Is this correct?

I think you might be confusing the BB "playstyle" and the normal Unholy AoE rotation (which includes BB).

The BB playstyle drops FeS completely and uses BB on blood runes, IT on frost runes, and SS/SR on unholy/death runes. The devs nerfed BB as a consequence to prevent this playstyle from surpassing the intended Unholy playstyle with FeS.

The normal Unholy AoE (2+ targets, so anything but single target) rotation uses BB on both blood and death runes. You can convert the frost runes to death beforehand with FeS or with a couple of ITs if you need to switch to AoE immediately.
    Last edited by Coalbane; 2014-12-09 at 02:36 PM.

As Coal just said, I think you're just confusing what the BB play style is and the aoe/cleave rotation we use.
    Since Highmaul has only a single pure single target fight, you're probably going to see most Unhoky DKs with BB at their top damage. As soon as a single extra mob is introduced that's what we use death runes on over SS

Quote Originally Posted by Coal View Post
    I think you might be confusing the BB "playstyle" and the normal Unholy AoE rotation (which includes BB).

The BB playstyle drops FeS completely and uses BB on blood runes, IT on frost runes, and SS/SR on unholy/death runes. The devs nerfed BB as a consequence to prevent this playstyle from surpassing the intended Unholy playstyle with FeS.

The normal Unholy AoE (2+ targets, so anything but single target) rotation uses BB on both blood and death runes. You can convert the frost runes to death beforehand with FeS or with a couple of ITs if you need to switch to AoE immediately.
    Nevermind, I'm an asshat. I was looking through the Kargath logs and seeing high amount of Blood Boil spam completely ignoring the fact that there ARE multiple targets on that fight. It didn't hit me at first, lol. Guess I shouldn't be going over and comparing logs on 2 hours of sleep.