Deleted

unrepentant British pedophile released from prison because he got the wrong sentence

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-sou...wales-30396520
    A child rapist has been released after a judge said it would be "unlawful" to keep him locked up.
    Jeffrey Charles Goodwyn, 48, was given an indeterminate sentence in 2012 for indecently assaulting a seven-year-old girl eight or more years earlier.
    He already had a previous conviction for raping a nine-year-old child.
    Mr Justice Coulson said at the Court of Appeal that an open-ended sentence could only be passed for offences after April 2005.
    "Despite the danger to the public which this applicant clearly represents, we are in no doubt that... The IPP (imprisonment for public protection) was unlawful," he said.
    The court heard Goodwyn was given an indeterminate sentence at Cardiff Crown Court in 2012 after admitting offences against a seven year old girl and being considered "a very dangerous offender indeed" by the judge.

'No progress'

Such sentences allow the authorities to keep the most dangerous criminals locked up indefinitely until they have proved they are safe.
    But Goodwyn went to the Court of Appeal about the sentence.
    At the hearing on Tuesday, the judge heard that while in prison Goodwyn refused to transfer to open conditions and the Parole Board described his conduct as unsatisfactory after he threatened staff and was punished for fighting.
    And Goodwyn's own lawyers said he had made "no progress whatsoever" in prison.
    He had also refused to discuss his sexual offending, the court heard.
    Mr Justice Coulson said: "This applicant remains a very dangerous man.
    "Because of his failure to engage with the relevant assistance available to him in prison, he has not begun to address his offending."
    But he said the legal problems surrounding the IPP sentence meant he had no choice but to quash the term.
    He imposed a three-year custodial sentence on Goodwyn, which he has already served, followed by five years on licence.
    The judge had held back his decision for a fortnight while Goodwyn's parole arrangements, including hostel accommodation, were put in place.
    Responding to the ruling NSPCC Wales head of service Des Mannion said: "It is extremely frightening that a child rapist described as 'very dangerous' and unrepentant has been released back in to the community due to what seems like a legal technicality surrounding the timing of the offence."

Indeterminate prison sentencesAn indeterminate prison sentence is where the court sets the minimum term of imprisonment an offender must serve before becoming eligible to be considered for release by the Parole Board. There are two types of indeterminate sentence: Imprisonment for life and Imprisonment for public protection.
    A sentence of imprisonment for public protection may be imposed where:

• The offender is convicted of a serious sexual or violent offence which is punishable by imprisonment for life or a determinate period of 10 years or more
    • In the court's opinion the offender poses a significant risk to the public of serious harm by the commission of further specified offences
    • The offence is punishable with life imprisonment and the court is satisfied that the seriousness of the offence justifies such a sentence
    • The offender has a previous conviction for an offence listed in schedule 15A to the Criminal Justice Act 2003 or the current offence warrants a notional minimum term of at least two years
    Source: Sentencing Council

So, let me get this straight. This man raped a seven year old girl AND was convicted for it, but because the sentence he got was the wrong one, he got released?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we even allow these freaks to live? He did get the wrong sentence along with every other rapist/pedophile. Correct Sentence : removal of ball then public lynching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Why do we even allow these freaks to live? He did get the wrong sentence along with every other rapist/pedophile. Correct Sentence : removal of ball then public lynching.
    I don't feel as extreme about it, but I agree that we shouldn't just imprison them. Still, this guy was a repeat offender. He shouldn't get off that easily, his sentence should have been changed to life without parole or something. This is just a perversion of justice.

Deleted
    This guy will end up lynched.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why you shouldn't have done away with the death penalty. There are some people in the world that are beyond any redemption.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    This guy will end up lynched.
    Sometimes, very rarely, mob justice is the only justice.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I don't feel as extreme about it, but I agree that we shouldn't just imprison them. Still, this guy was a repeat offender. He shouldn't get off that easily, his sentence should have been changed to life without parole or something. This is just a perversion of justice.
    I'm extremely touchy on this subject since I've had my daughter, my first bunk mate in prison raped a 12 year old girl. Had to wake up every day and force myself not to bash his skull in over and over.

Why didn't they just have another hearing to sentence him properly?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I'm extremely touchy on this subject since I've had my daughter, my first bunk mate in prison raped a 12 year old girl. Had to wake up every day and force myself not to bash his skull in over and over.
    Dear Diary,

Today, 12-9-2014 (or 9-12-2014 for the rest of the world), I learned that some MMOChamp posters were actually former prisoners. Interesting place this site is, filled with interesting people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

10+ Year Old Account
    So instead you want judges to go against the law? I agree it's horrible that this has happened, but judges must abide by the law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Dear Diary,

Today, 12-9-2014 (or 9-12-2014 for the rest of the world), I learned that some MMOChamp posters were actually former prisoners. Interesting place this site is, filled with interesting people.
    Why is that surprising?

The US has the highest imprisoning rates of all Western nations, for some of the most pedantic laws.

Deleted
    To quote the tweet that pointed me to this article:

Quote Originally Posted by @ramblingrant
    If keeping this vile excuse of a human in prison is unlawful, to hell with the law.
    source: https://twitter.com/Rambling_Rant/st...09435478380546

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Why didn't they just have another hearing to sentence him properly?

They could have a double jeopardy law in place. Can't be charged for the same crime twice.

Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Dear Diary,

I think ex-prisoners are one of the tamest kind of posters we have here

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    They could have a double jeopardy law in place. Can't be charged for the same crime twice.
    It's not double jeopardy. He was already convicted of a crime. The punishment was just improper. Why don't they just redress that problem?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    It's not double jeopardy. He was already convicted of a crime. The punishment was just improper. Why don't they just redress that problem?

Cause you can't legally re-sentence someone without charging them again. The law is not setup that way.

Yeah this is horrible.

Some peoples heads in the judicial system needs to roll.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"