Thread: DK or Hunter?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

DK or Hunter?

Hey everyone, I need your advice.

I need to choose a class for the expansion, and I just can't. I'm choosing between (well, the title says it all) DK and Hunter, DK is 95, Hunter is 96. I like melee in general, and many things attract me to my DK (High Warlord rank, awesome follower rolls, etc.), but I love tricky things I can pull with my hunter using clever traps, binding arrows, etc. I just feel DKs may lack a bit of depth, but I haven't been playing in a long time and I'm not 100 yet.

Overall: I'm looking for a fun (mostly solo) BG class with occasional arenas here and there. What can net me more fun considering I mostly play solo? I need your opinion :<
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post

I need to choose a class for the expansion, and I just can't. I'm choosing between (well, the title says it all) DK and Hunter, DK is 95, Hunter is 96. I like melee in general, and many things attract me to my DK (High Warlord rank, awesome follower rolls, etc.), but I love tricky things I can pull with my hunter using clever traps, binding arrows, etc. I just feel DKs may lack a bit of depth, but I haven't been playing in a long time and I'm not 100 yet.

Overall: I'm looking for a fun (mostly solo) BG class with occasional arenas here and there. What can net me more fun considering I mostly play solo? I need your opinion :<
    Solo play will always continue to be ruled by a good hunter.

Dks are boring.
    Hunters suck at pvp. This isn't MoP.

Pick your poison.

In before "herp derp but hunters are OP at pvp". STFU, maybe in arena where you got a healer, in solo action and random bgs, expect to die...A LOT. And if you get attacked in 1v1 by a rogue or feral just /dance and take your hands off the kb cause you don't stand a chance in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyboard Champion View Post
    Dks are boring.

Pick your poison.

In before "herp derp but hunters are OP at pvp". STFU, maybe in arena where you got a healer, in solo action and random bgs, expect to die...A LOT. And if you get attacked in 1v1 by a rogue or feral just /dance and take your hands off the kb cause you don't stand a chance in hell.
    Yeah it really depends on what you want to do. Hunters are good at sniping in BGS with lonewolf (expect to die a lot) and okay with a babysitter healer, but without that they can get smashed pretty easily except by like... bad warriors who get kited all day.

Real answer is go Ret paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken View Post
    Yeah it really depends on what you want to do. Hunters are good at sniping in BGS with lonewolf (expect to die a lot) and okay with a babysitter healer, but without that they can get smashed pretty easily except by like... bad warriors who get kited all day.

Real answer is go Ret paladin.
    Rets get smashed by dks and ferals. You're just changing nemeses.

Rets get smashed by dks and ferals. You're just changing nemeses.
    But they are so useful. That's what's important. hoS/hop etc. good stuff. I guess it depends on your style of play.

Deleted
    Hunter works good for 1v1, for the most part the only ones that bothers me from a 1v1 is balance druids, drain life glyphed/specced affli locks aswell as Unholy dks..
    If you are in arena and happen to go 1v1, or vs a healer it can be a pain with those pillars though.. But overall pretty solid for solo pvp.
    Which is most fun is entirely up to you though!

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post

Dk and you win anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    For srs arena I'd go DK. But with your description of solo (wpvp?), bg and casual arena play go huntard. Maybe its because I've pvp'd as a hunter for 10 years now but I find they are simply unstoppable juggernauts of death. Its extremely rare when I die in a bg, I normally top kb's with 0 deaths and highest/2nd highest damage. In Nagrand with the combat mount I just kite groups of horde and steamroll the lot and its great fun running around on a talbuk in camouflage, nothing can target me so every fight is me getting openers off to gank.

Fun tip that not many people do...
    Range control casters - you perma snare targets so just jump in and out of casters range (use a rangefinder addon and stay at your optimal range) when they cast something bad at you (chaos bolt/boom kin shit etc). You break their casts and allows you to jump back in range and fire off instant chimera/glaives or cast an aimed shot. As BM you could stay out of range the entire time and just use kill command for your pet if you really wanted to piss people off.

Bonus tip for fotm retadins...
    Dispel all the things on their buff bar when the fight begins so you can quickly dispel freedom and protection bubble if they pop that as well, you can kite them all day and night without them being able to do a thing then and if they blow cd's and start throwing hammers at you just use Roar of Sacrifice to keep dmg low and keep kiting. Use aspect of cheetah when >30yds to keep range control.

I'd probably go Hunter, they're more in depth and more they're great in PvP right now. Granted, DKs are really strong as well, but I wouldn't want to play melee in BGs/Ashran at all, hard to do anything with 40+ ranged attacking you.

Both are solid choices for PvP, I just don't think DKs are particularly fun. Depends on your preference I suppose, I know plenty of people that love DKs.

Hunter if you like range or DK if you want to tank or dps ( you have the choice ) unless hunter who can only dps

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'd probably go Hunter, they're more in depth and more they're great in PvP right now. Granted, DKs are really strong as well, but I wouldn't want to play melee in BGs/Ashran at all, hard to do anything with 40+ ranged attacking you.

Both are solid choices for PvP, I just don't think DKs are particularly fun. Depends on your preference I suppose, I know plenty of people that love DKs.
    More often than not, you're happily shooting stuff in a bg and fucking rogues and ferals specifically come after you in the back lines and then you'd much rather play a plate melee, trust me. Or you get charged at from across the map by some warrior.

I don't find hunters fun in bgs, you're too fucking vulnerable to melee and your aledgedly "OP" kiting abilities don't do jackshit to help you escape and against rogues and ferals your kiting stuff doesn't do anything at all. Not to mention everyone and their grandma break the traps you needed to escape some roguetard and shit.

Go with dk, trust me on this.
    Last edited by Keyboard Champion; 2014-12-10 at 07:32 AM.

Do NOT play a hunter for solo BG's - they're bottom of the barrel terrible.

Hunter's are fine if they have a healer backing them up, but you pretty much have to find one and never move from their side.

OP, you're about to get an objective opinion:

In terms of pure balance, hunters are in a better place at the moment. By that I mean you are better off with a hunter in competitive PvP.

In terms of 1v1, you're probably better off with a hunter. Hunters are probably the best class to counter all the melee going on at the moment. You'll probably do well against casters as well. You might do worse against rets and ferals, but with skill and frost weapon (lvl 100 talent) you can beat them. You just have to dispel ret HoF and feral hots/procs. You will need practice for this though and might be frustrated early on if you've never played a hunter. As someone who played hunter a lot during WotLK during deadzones and stuff like that, I find hunter quite easy to play now. Just pretend you have a deadzone, don't backpeddle, kite properly.

In rated battlegrounds you're probably better off with a DK, assuming you have the confidence to be a target caller. You'll find groups easily.

In random battleground type PvP both classes are fun and both can do very well. If I have a pocket healer as a DK I cause havoc in battlegrounds.

Having said all that, DKs are quite viable at the moment and aren't much worse than hunters. The playstyle is very different though, where hunters are reliant on control and kiting. DKs are reliable on trying not to be controlled and put out as much damage as possible.

Dks are boring.

Pick your poison.

I have friends who as hunters wreck everything in random battlegrounds without healers. They are also unbeatable in 1v1 combat. I think you just need to learn to play your class better instead of giving up.

Judging by what I've seen of most of your posts, you have a very bad attitude towards this game. I don't think WoW is for you to be honest. You might be happier trying something else. I'm not trying to be horrible; I'm being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    In terms of 1v1, you're probably better off with a hunter. Hunters are probably the best class to counter all the melee going on at the moment.
    Hunter's can't beat Ret Paladins, Glad Warriors or Feral Druids (edit: and I forgot- UH/Blood DK's) - the three most common melee at the moment - who is left?

As for spellcasters they can't beat Balance Druids, Aff Locks or Shadow Priests either. We can kill mages though so I suppose there's that.

There is no "L2P" issue here, let's be honest, Hunters are incredibly easy to play now, it's just our kit is catered towards teamplay and not solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurlon View Post
    Hunter's can't beat Ret Paladins, Glad Warriors or Feral Druids (edit: and I forgot- UH/Blood DK's) - the three most common melee at the moment - who is left?

As for spellcasters they can't beat Balance Druids, Aff Locks or Shadow Priests either. We can kill mages though so I suppose there's that.

There is no "L2P" issue here, let's be honest, Hunters are incredibly easy to play now, it's just our kit is catered towards teamplay and not solo play.
    If that is your perception, I have some bad news for you

I've barely played hunter this expansion and I don't have problems with any of those except maybe rets and ferals, but I put that down to my own lack of practice.

That's the difference between people like you and winners. You make excuses for your failure. Winners rise above their opponents and win whatever it takes.

Judging by what I've seen of most of your posts, you have a very bad attitude towards this game. I don't think WoW is for you to be honest. You might be happier trying something else. I'm not trying to be horrible; I'm being serious.
    I would try something else but there is nothing good to play right now. At least wow is semi-good and can help me waste some time. Don't even know what class to play that is good in 1v1, other than feral druid which has a million keys and I hate it. Everything else people scream is OP, it's really not, those people are just whiners who play a class that the class they whine about happens to hardcounter, and then QQ on the forums. There is currently no "OP" class that doesn't have at least 2 banes in 1v1, with the exception of feral druid, while most classes have more than 2.

Ret paladins OP? Yeah, no, they are countered by dks, ferals and hunters.
    Dk OP? Nope, play a feral or hunter (if he's frost you can faceroll him as hunter) and bitchslap them.
    Gladiator warrior OP? Nope, play a feral, dk, ret paladin (make sure to kite) or hunter to bitchslap them.
    MM hunter OP? Nope, play feral, rogue or unholy dk and you can wreck them.

If that is your perception, I have some bad news for you

I've barely played hunter this expansion and I don't have problems with any of those except maybe rets and ferals, but I put that down to my own lack of practice.

That's the difference between people like you and winners. You make excuses for your failure. Winners rise above their opponents and win whatever it takes.
    Cute

Nowhere did I make an excuse, I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

Let's see, how do you beat an afflock? He can beat you with nothing but drain life spam. How does your "winner" attiude help you win this battle?

I would try something else but there is nothing good to play right now. At least wow is semi-good and can help me waste some time. Don't even know what class to play that is good in 1v1, other than feral druid which has a million keys and I hate it. Everything else people scream is OP, it's really not, those people are just whiners who play a class that the class they whine about happens to hardcounter, and then QQ on the forums. There is currently no "OP" class that doesn't have at least 2 banes in 1v1, with the exception of feral druid, while most classes have more than 2.

Dk OP? Nope, play a feral or hunter (if he's frost you can faceroll him as hunter) and bitchslap them.
    Gladiator warrior OP? Nope, play a feral, dk, ret paladin (make sure to kite) or hunter to bitchslap them.
    MM hunter OP? Nope, play feral, rogue or unholy dk and you can wreck them.
    Surprisingly objective. Happy to see it. Anyway, what you're saying is mostly true of non-competitive PvP.

If you want to play something "OP" though I'd suggest ret or feral...

Ferals don't have too many buttons these days (since WoD). Rets have more buttons I'm sure with all the hands (I thought they only had two hands xD).

Quote Originally Posted by Aurlon View Post
    Cute

Nowhere did I make an excuse, I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

Let's see, how do you beat an afflock? He can beat you with nothing but drain life spam. How does your "winner" attiude help you win this battle?
    I'm afraid no amount of holding your hand through an aff lock duel is going to help you win. Your attitude needs to change.

I'm afraid no amount of holding your hand through an aff lock duel is going to help you win. Your attitude needs to change.
    Nice way to dodge the question.

Next time I'm being drain life spammed I'll think happy thoughts, that's sure to get me through.

Ret vs Hunter might be doable for a hunter if the Paladin has neither wings nor bubble. Otherwise you're going to have a bad time.