Affliction Doing Better than Destro?

I was in LFR with a quick group and the top DPS was a 642 ilvl affliction warlock by a sizable amount. He was beating out better geared Druids, DKs, Monks and Hunters. Hell he beat out a similar geared destruction lock. I was just wondering why I'm seeing more affliction all of a sudden? I thought destro was supposed to be top right now.

I'm aware it was LFR so it's not a great representation of data, but it was eye opening to me. I'm also asking because I was watching a couple streams and I saw more warlocks going affliction that destro, and not just on Twin Ogron.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I always fine random lfr's to be the best indication of overall class performance.

at certain gear level brackets destro looses top DPS spot for locks to aff by 200 or so DPS in BiS mythic. All lock specs are now pretty even, well closest I've seen them in a VERY long time (5+ years..DPS is within a few hundred in BiS mythic, can't be said Warlocks are the most 'balanced' of the classes right now as ther are no outliers).

It is interesting, people may simply enjoy aff as a change of pace from boring destro or 'complex' demo

the affliction warlock is just better than the other lfr heroes in your group
    Shadow | Warlock | Druid
    <Encore>
    Twitter | YouTube | Twitch
    Streaming and recording all Legion progress, Shadow / Warlock PoV

If you look at the logs affli is doing a lot better than both destro and demo. It's only issues is its aoe which is just awful, but as a boss killing spec it is very strong.

Deleted
    Affli, number-wise will just get better and better with gear. However, it doesn't change the fact that it's hilariously awful playstyle-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Psidum View Post
    I always fine random lfr's to be the best indication of overall class performance.
    Almost spit out my morning coffee with that one. Cheers!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post31070949

Not my video but thought it belonged in this thread.

I have not been in Mythic raiding but based on this video I'd guess the heavy movement is making aff the most consistant DPS spec.

Deleted
    I currently play affliction just cuz how dumb and easy destro is, makes it boring. I do about 18-21k dps single target (depends on procs). And about 21-24k multi target. 641 ilvl btw (with still some shitty crit items, base mastery intel trinket and multi strike from everbloom)

Deleted
    Did a LFR last night as Destro.
    outdamaged every other lock by a lot.
    Is destro now the best spec? (did not check ilvl's though, LFR was too quick)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyarea View Post
    It is interesting, people may simply enjoy aff as a change of pace from boring destro or 'complex' demo
    Just if it was 5 years ago version of affliction!

also on a side note, dunno how "just build DF straight forward and burn everything you have with demonbolt makes demo complex"
    Last edited by Akakishin; 2014-12-11 at 12:33 PM.
    green is the color!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eierdotter View Post
    OMG, I raided normal yesterday, top dommag as Destruction on everything except Tectus... nerf warlocks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eierdotter View Post
    LFRs are full of slackers and are not a good way of finding out how you compare to other classes.
    At anything below mythic, all three specs are relatively equal, so play what you want. However, according to logs, with higher ilvl Affliction pulls ahead of Demo and Destro, which makes sense since Affliction has always scaled with gear the best.

Deleted
    Affliction is better on short fights. All fights in LFR are really short, 2-3 minutes.
    Affliction starts with 4 soul shards, which is enough for keeping haunt up for most of the bloodlust, and if he blew double dark soul his damage in the first minute will be disproportionally high, then fall off gradually.
    Now, if you want to be an LFR hero, you could just pool 4 embers or 1000 fury on trash and pretty much do the same and "cheat" the meters.