Should I Get Into MTG?

I've been playing Hearthstone since open beta dropped an am really enjoying the game. I have heard the game compred though to Magic the Gathering as WoW to Everquest, in that it is much more streamlined and basic, whereas the other one has more complexity. I have not yet payed a single dime on HS, but with GvG coming out that may change. I want to see however, if MTV is for me before I get invested into either. So, would someone please describe key differences? Also, I don't know anyone who plays it, so are there many clubs or an online game version? Thanks.

I personally think that MTG ist by far the best TCG I've ever played, although it hase a huge downside.
    As it gets more competetive, MTG usually gets a whole lot faster (as I have experienced) and less funny. The game became dull the moment it was just about being only competetive, since the most enjoyable sessions where those where you sat together with a friend and played for an hour, eventually setting up for a multiplayer (3+) game.

I think the main difference is the complexity - MTG is far more than HS in the meanings of paying resources, triggering Abilitys and/or handling the stack. You might want to read the rules for a while first, or have somone tutor you in your first steps

I'm pretty sure there are many Gamecenters where you can play MTG, theres an version too (Magic Online, just google it), but you have to buy the cards as if they were real.

There is a "Sandbox" tool too, its called Magic Workstation (cant post links, use google :P), although if you want to use the Multiplayer Feature there, you should at least take a quick look at the Comprehensive Rules

I hope I could help you out a bit, feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Okay. Sounds like MTV is much, much more complicated than I thought. Thousands of cards? Probably a lot of redundanc going on there. Not that it can't be fun and involving; just... too much perhaps? Whereas Hearthstone only has 300 cards and can provide still a very deep gameplay wothout being overly complex.

What about Pokemon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mtg is the most complex game there is, there are around 18500 different cards, there area plethora of formats and many ways to play it, i still would say go ahead and try it , head to a card store near you and ask for some starter decks(the free ones they give out to new players) and maybe play with a friend or store employee this will give you a feel for how the game works.

To be frank, whether you should try MTG or not depends on what you want to do with the game. How much do you want to spend, in time and money, and how much do you expect to receive in terms of fun, how do you intend on playing. If you don't have friends to play with, and you want to play casually, be absolutely sure you have a local store to play with that is receptive.

I am a cardgame fanatic, having played more than my healthy share of those, and there's some things magic does that few others can match (although it also has its problems). The issue here is that one of its strengths seems to be something you might not like. The complexity, the large amount of cards and the large amount of interaction available. It has several styles of play that HS does not and will not have unless blizzard changes its attitude towards the game.

Pokemon is simpler, though I have to admit I haven't followed it in many years. It wasn't my cup of tea when I was taught how to play and the game simply does not do anything stellar that other games don't do better.

So here's my question: What do you want from a card game? What do you value in it? Tell us what you like the most in HS and I will try and find a suggestion for you.

Too late; already made my poor life decision to get hooked on Blizzard's virtual cardboard crack. My wallet is committed.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Too late; already made my poor life decision to get hooked on Blizzard's virtual cardboard crack. My wallet is committed.

Thanks all!
    Weren't you already playing that? What changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    Weren't you already playing that? What changed?
    I wasn't liberally throwing money out the window at Blizzard before.

Mainly because 1. Blizzard will develop a card game specifically for Blizzard players like me; 2. I'm already acquainted with it and loving it; and 3. because I can actually play the game (because it's online) rather than struggle to find people near me to play with and set up schedules and such.

MTG is only a good choice if you're playing for fun.
    When you get to the competitive aspect, it becomes extremely expensive (think warhammer tabletop expensive), and become frustrating.

If you got a group of friends to play with and dick around, Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by amishjello View Post
    MTG is only a good choice if you're playing for fun.
    When you get to the competitive aspect, it becomes extremely expensive (think warhammer tabletop expensive), and become frustrating.

If you got a group of friends to play with and dick around, Go for it!
    What makes you say that? I love the competitive aspect of it and I've made money from the game for the most part of my playing time!