Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Polygon - "A Wii U is mandatory to talk about 2014's Game of the Year"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/736...me-of-the-year

Interesting read but I think it's true if you think about it. Smash Brothers Wii U, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors are all solid contenders for 2014 GOTY. And other games like Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Windwaker HD and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are all worth owning. Next year we have the new HD Zelda coming out, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Star Fox and more.

I think if anyone hasn't bought a Wii U yet now would be a good time, because frankly its library is crazy right now.

I'll be honest with you, except for Bayonetta 2 none of those games you listed really seem to have made much of a lasting splash outside of the Nintendo fan circles. Certainly not enough for a GotY award, IMO.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

So "Worth owning" is the same as worthy of GotY?

yeah dream on sicko.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    I'll be honest with you, except for Bayonetta 2 none of those games you listed really seem to have made much of a lasting splash outside of the Nintendo fan circles. Certainly not enough for a GotY award, IMO.
    The previous Smash, and the previous Mario Kart iterations have all won various GOTY awards in the past.

Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 are amazing must plays to me. Tropical Freeze is incredibly underrated.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonned View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/9/736...me-of-the-year

Interesting read but I think it's true if you think about it. Smash Brothers Wii U, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors are all solid contenders for 2014 GOTY. And other games like Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Windwaker HD and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are all worth owning. Next year we have the new HD Zelda coming out, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Star Fox and more.

I think if anyone hasn't bought a Wii U yet now would be a good time, because frankly its library is crazy right now.
    More of the same shit from Nintendo, that their rabid fans elevate to godhood even though it's undeserving.
    Zelda this, Mario that, Smash whatever, Donkey schmonkey. So very, very boring. Nintendo survives on the Japanese market and 25-30 year old nostalgics.

The previous Smash, and the previous Mario Kart iterations have all won various GOTY awards in the past.
    Sure, but call it confirmation bias but I remember those a lot better than I remember the ones released this year. That's not to say they aren't good games, only that they didn't seem to catch the attention of the public eye (again, outside Nintendo fan groups) as much as the others.

Although to be fair, the crop of games this year was pretty... mediocre. Even the good games were marred by technical issues and glitches. I wouldn't want to be a judge for those GotY awards, because I feel this year it's going to be more about trying to pick the best of a bad bunch.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Putting creedence into rewards given by this corrupted gaming journalism and the industry that bribes them is a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    More of the same shit from Nintendo, that their rabid fans elevate to godhood even though it's undeserving.
    Zelda this, Mario that, Smash whatever, Donkey schmonkey. So very, very boring. Nintendo survives on the Japanese market and 25-30 year old nostalgics.
    Technically NA is Nintendo's strongest region sales wise, not Japan get your facts straight.

Sure, but call it confirmation bias but I remember those a lot better than I remember the ones released this year. That's not to say they aren't good games, only that they didn't seem to catch the attention of the public eye (again, outside Nintendo fan groups) as much as the others.

Although to be fair, the crop of games this year was pretty... mediocre. Even the good games were marred by technical issues and glitches. I wouldn't want to be a judge for those GotY awards, because I feel this year it's going to be more about trying to pick the best of a bad bunch.
    Says someone who obviously hasn't been playing games lol

Honestly id have to agree, MCC could have shined but was plagued by server problems, New COD seems solid, id prob say Smash though i dont have an extra 300 lying around to throw away for a few months of one game, and im not intersted in playing the next 12 remakes of zelda games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    im not intersted in playing the next 12 remakes of zelda games.
    Says the guy with a halo icon with great delight.

Says someone who obviously hasn't been playing games lol
    So, I disagree with you and so obviously I must not have been playing games? I think there's a leap of logic there that escaped me.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, I disagree with you and so obviously I must not have been playing games? I think there's a leap of logic there that escaped me.
    From my perspective its been quite the opposite and next year is looking even better. I suppose it is dependent on what you play.

Deleted
    Bashing everyone that isn't into the games you're so looking forward to isn't going to help get your point across.
    The truth of the matter is, if you're not really a Nintendo fan to begin with not many of those titles are going to catch your interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    Bashing everyone that isn't into the games you're so looking forward to isn't going to help get your point across.
    The truth of the matter is, if you're not really a Nintendo fan to begin with not many of those titles are going to catch your interest.
    I'm not bashing anyone, they are bashing me and I am defending.

Deleted
    People still care if some random gaming celebrities toss around fluff rewards?

Tropical Freeze is the GOTY for me, hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly what game is worthy of a GOTY title depends entirely on what kind of games the player have a preference for. Its too subjective to make a broad statement like this.

Deleted
    It's likely Polygon received some good incentives to say that...

Edit: it's an "opinion piece" by Ben Kuchera.
    The shilling!

I somewhat agree. Bayonetta 2 is a monstrous game. It might be the apex of it's genre at this current point in time. To not play it is a disservice to the investigation of video games.