Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Alliance lore needs more ...conspiracy plots.

when WoW started Alliance was a faction plagued by internal political turmoil. King Wrynn was gone, SW nobles were conspiring with the Defias and Stormwind's upper echelon was infiltrated by Onyxia.

in Ironforge the high king's daughter was kidnapped by Dark Irons, the Wildhammers were not part of Ironforge Dwarves, Gnome refugees were flooding IF after they've lost their city to Troggs.

moving westward into Kalimdor Malfurion was trapped in the emerald dream, Fandral was planning to takeover Darnassus and was hinted to be responsible for keeping Malfurion in the emerald dream. Teldrassil itself was actually not blessed by the aspects which was the reason that it had a corruption inside it.

Aliance was not "purely good" in WoW. there were corrupt elements inside it and THAT made Alliance an interesting faction IMO. it wasn't a simple alliance of purely good factions, every side was struggling with something and as you progressed through the game you uncovered more hints and signs of cospiracies.

all of that is gone now, the alliance you see today is just a shallow cliche kingdom of goodness with an anime-looking badass king who had teenage-anger issues.

nothing much seems to be going on in Alliance these days and if there is, they've not developed it into something interesting. why has blizzard stopped working on plots and stories that made the faction interesting in the first place? most plots are solved and no new plot was planned to come in their place, the only interesting plot I saw from Ally side since WotLK was the Defias plot in Cataclysm and after that most vanilla quests that progressed the interesting questlines were replaced with shallow gimmicky/comical plots with almost no lore value.

Deleted
    The distrust between the Dwarven factions is bound to boil over.
    In Cataclysm we had the leader of the Church of the Holy Light turn out to be a baddy all along, serving the Old Gods.
    Jaina going damn near genocidal.

They learned from their mistakes, but there is still conflict going on. Granted, not as much as it used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alliance first step to be fixed remove human from leadership, I vote Malfurion as best leader for alliance right now (or at least candidate to be best), lets first sidestep the youngest shortest living race in all alliance, then start look at other major problems
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Yeah, there is still some bad stuff going on, but most of it is minor. A lot of quests in game have some sort of traitor that you have to root out (the Worgen NPC in your Spires of Arak outpost, that one traitor you had to deal with in Borean Tundra during Wrath, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting that happened between then and now).

I'd really like to see the whole Dwarven leadership / Council of the Three Hammers thing get some more love from the writers. Still don't entirely trust Moira. I also think it'd be interesting if Magni could somehow come back and see what Ironforge looks like now. I doubt he'd be too happy with where his little girl is right now.

Something with Maiev and the Night Elves could probably happen too, I suppose. Although she's not in a faction leadership position of any sort and is probably considered more of a terrorist than anything else at the moment.

Gnomes...unless another crazy one like Thermaplugg comes along, I'm not sure what's really left for them. Pretty sure Thermaplugg is canon dead now.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-12-10 at 03:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Alliance first step to be fixed remove human from leadership, I vote Malfurion as best leader for alliance right now (or at least candidate to be best), lets first sidestep the youngest shortest living race in all alliance, then start look at other major problems
    Actually I vote for no absolute leadership. That should be for Horde cuz they have a Warchief. Alliance should be more like a council rather than having one high king decide what's best for the whole faction.

Jaina's decent to horde-hating character does not really count as a conspiracy theory. Maiev's storyline however can be considered a conspiracy theory but since it was only in a book I don't really count it.

The distrust between the Dwarves is not really worked on, it is shown that they just "don't trust eachother" and at core neither of them seem like an "evil" group. there are no consipiracies happening there. and the MoP scenarios did not impress me tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Yeah, there is still some bad stuff going on, but most of it is minor. A lot of quests in game have some sort of traitor that you have to root out (the Worgen NPC in your Spires of Arak outpost, that one traitor you had to deal with in Borean Tundra during Wrath, and probably a couple more I'm forgetting that happened between then and now).

I'd really like to see the whole Dwarven leadership / Council of the Three Hammers thing get some more love from the writers. Still don't entirely trust Moira. I also think it'd be interesting if Magni could somehow come back and see what Ironforge looks like now. I doubt he'd be too happy with where his little girl is right now.

Something with Maiev and the Night Elves could probably happen too, I suppose. Although she's not really in a leadership position of any sort and is probably considered more of a terrorist than anything else at the moment.
    most of them are minor, that's the issue. Alliance needs a real conspiracy quest. something that players face and solve after like...2 patches and it should have grand consequences. for example Benedictus questline was good, I still prefered the Defias one in Cata but that wasn't bad either. old world quests need to be updated , at least parts of them, to reflect new plots and storylines.

Well, Varian came back and fixed some things. A lot of the plot points you brought up were resolved. It would've felt terrible if all these conspiracies were just never addressed.

They could come up with new ones but it can't feel forced.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    most of them are minor, that's the issue. Alliance needs a real conspiracy quest. something that players face and solve after like...2 patches and it should have grand consequences. for example Benedictus questline was good, I still prefered the Defias one in Cata but that wasn't bad either. old world quests need to be updated , at least parts of them, to reflect new plots and storylines.
    Give genn Graymane his old personality and you will have decent internal faction conflict, he was such a lovable bastard.

The biggest obstacle is that a lot of Alliance fans claim that they want a return to the intrigue and backstabbing that made the early Alliance much more interesting but then when it happens they kick and scream about how everything the faction does is justified even when they're clearly painted as being in the wrong. You need only look at how the blood elves have been treated or how Moira was attacked for making a power grab.

A darker Alliance would be a lot more compelling but I just don't see it happening. Even Blizzard don't seem to care much for consistency - the fate of the Sunreaver prisoners within the Violet Hold has been brushed aside and the Kirin Tor are now once again working with the Horde which makes one wonder what the point of the Purge of the Dalaran was.

Varian went from Garrosh Light to Warchief Thrall, so there is no way they're suddenly make him evil. But I do agree that it's about time that the orcs didn't cause all the shitty things going on in the world.
    Mother pus bucket!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Varian went from Garrosh Light to Warchief Thrall, so there is no way they're suddenly make him evil. But I do agree that it's about time that the orcs didn't cause all the shitty things going on in the world.
    I'm not saying that varian should turn into a villain or something like that. infact I'm actually against these sort of sudden character shifts, and I'm not saying that old storylines should be brought back. NEW plots should be introduced however. :P

I agree. How to do it would be tricky but I loved the human story in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Turn jaina into psycho she was becoming in MoP, and make her provoke conflicts, create unrest, and manipulate all members of alliance.

Also, make her replace her heart with focusing iris, turning her into living nuclear bomb (for when the things get harsh to her, and she decides to go with explosive ending)
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2014-12-10 at 05:53 PM.

The alliance is bonded by tense but unified loyalties that require the mutual cooperation of every faction in them to work together in order to stay strong as one.

The Alliance methodology has its own internal strife, the alliance is essentially the EU, a crisis of insufficient funds affects the entire faction, mutual opinions are not always exclusively the same between members.

The reason the High King was appointed was to prevent the Alliance ripping itself apart.

What needs to happen, is an assassination attempt on Varians life, weather it kills him, or wounds him, without their High King, we would see a darker alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Turn jaina into psycho she was becoming in MoP, and make her provoke conflicts, create unrest, and manipulate all members of alliance.

Also, make her replace her heart with focusing iris, turning her into living nuclear bomb (for when the things get harsh to her, and she decides to go with explosive ending)
    Or, create internal conflict through non stupid means. Moira would work better as a schemer, trying to plat nice and put on a better face while manipulating from behind the scenes. Jaina's been through enough as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Malzra View Post
    Or, create internal conflict through non stupid means. Moira would work better as a schemer, trying to plat nice and put on a better face while manipulating from behind the scenes. Jaina's been through enough as is.
    She's been through a lot, sure - but then so have many other leader figures and they've managed to remain relatively stable without resorting to attempted genocide only to then turn around and evade any and all consequences for their actions. Jaina's just as bad as Sylvanas at this point and I'd love to see both of them killed off sooner rather than later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    What's stupid about it ? Jaina becoming a total psycho would fit into overall theme of WoW villains. And ending as obsessed wreckage, rejected by all would be a great ending for her.

Tragedy in way too many acts. But seriously, its not like there is anything else she can be used for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Talthanor View Post
    She's been through a lot, sure - but then so have many other leader figures and they've managed to remain relatively stable without resorting to attempted genocide only to then turn around and evade any and all consequences for their actions. Jaina's just as bad as Sylvanas at this point and I'd love to see both of them killed off sooner rather than later.
    Juat as bad for being pushed to the brink under the effects of a mana bomb but not actually going through with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Varian had personality change like ping pong, he was first ignoring world careless about anyone but himself, then he went emo hunting orcs, then he went Varian SMASH, then he became the 'wisdom symbol' itself because Logosh picked him
    Another change won't be problem for him
    Regardless I still prefer if humans get sidestepped (which isn't easy, since Stormwind is strongest city in Azeroth) because of reasons I said
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

It would be far more interesting if another dwarf would turn on Moira, after she has proven her worth to the alliance and lets say her uncle does not want to hand over the reigns once she is ready to take full control of Ironforge and he expects Varian to back him, but he backs Moira instead.

Well, the first step would be kicking Varian out of office. Because right now every other leader just bows to Varian's will on everything.

Would be nice if some leaders were allowed to disagree with him and not be painted as immediately wrong and bad.