Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Star Spangled Banner Usage Offensive

I have to say Im offended every time the Star Spangled Banner is played at an event, and only the first verse in sung. its disrespectful to the flag and our nation to shorten it to one verse. In my opinion all 4 verses should be sung every time its played. Does anyone else feel this way? or is just the first verse OK with you.

Since Im sure many of the youngsters and people not from the US didnt even know there was 4 verses. Here are the lyrics for the all verses.

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
    Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country should leave us no more!
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
    Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I have to say Im offended every time the Star Spangled Banner is played at an event, and only the first verse in sung. its disrespectful to the flag and our nation to shorten it to one verse. In my opinion all 4 verses should be sung every time its played. Does anyone else feel this way? or is just the first verse OK with you.
    How...

What...

Why...

In what universe could this possibly be offensive?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Just what we need Orlong, more nationalism.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is done with all national anthems, it's not offensive, you just don't always have the time or the patient audience to finish the whole thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sad to admit that I did not know there was more lyrics than the first verse. I tried to look up why it is shortened to just the first verse, but I couldn't find a reason. Perhaps because as a National Anthem, it was too long?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This is done with all national anthems, it's not offensive, you just don't always have the time or the patient audience to finish the whole thing.
    Up here, only the first stanza is the legal anthem. The other three are not legally part of the anthem.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire thing is set to the tune of a popular British song sung in the colonies anyways - it's a stupid anthem in the first place.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Up here, only the first stanza is the legal anthem. The other three are not legally part of the anthem.
    And keep in mind we in the USA have to reaffirm our nationalism to this country after 6.5 innings of baseball with God Bless America as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    This is the Murican national anthem though. It's different. Honestly just one rendition is an insult. It should be sung in full 50 times - once for each state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    How...

What...

Why...

In what universe could this possibly be offensive?
    Because its disrespectful to butcher it and sing it incomplete

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And keep in mind we in the USA have to reaffirm our nationalism to this country after 6.5 innings of baseball with God Bless America as well.
    If you dont like the country, youre free to leave it! Also, I dont know what baseball games youre going to but every one Ive seen sings Take Me Out to The Ball Game. Not God Bless America
    Last edited by Orlong; 2014-12-10 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Just what we need Orlong, more nationalism.
    Or a thinly veiled attempt to show off vastly superior obscure knowledge about God save the Quee... I mean the National Anthem.

Because its disrespectful to butcher it and sing it incomplete
    It is only disrespectful on the individual level and not on the national level. As in, it is only disrespectful if YOU think it is and is not disrespectful by default.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say Im [sic] offended every time the Star Spangled Banner is played at an event, and only the first verse in sung. its disrespectful to the flag and our nation to shorten it to one verse. In my opinion all 4 verses should be sung every time its played. Does anyone else feel this way? or is just the first verse OK with you.
    I'm offended by your fake patriotism and trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I am sad to admit that I did not know there was more lyrics than the first verse. I tried to look up why it is shortened to just the first verse, but I couldn't find a reason. Perhaps because as a National Anthem, it was too long?
    Or perhaps because it was never intended as a song? "The Star-Spangled Banner" is the result of the unholy union of a poem (The Defense of Fort McHenry) with the score for a (lightly bawdy) 18th-Century British drinking song (To Anacreon in Heaven) shoved into it. (I say unholy because it's hard as hell to sing - it barely even works as a song.) It became popular in the latter half of the 19th Century, and had some formal recognition after WWI, but wasn't officially the 'National Anthem' until well after the start of the Great Depression. The main alternatives - "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" and "Hail, Columbia" - are 'better' in that sense, although the former suffers from a certain lack of originality, being set to a version of "God Save the Queen".
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    It is a good point, I always get horribly offended if someone calls me by my first name only, or uses a pronoun. It is only respectful to use first, middle, and last name every time a person is addressed.

After all, nobody would consider calling Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton just "Hillary" now would they? Everyone that respects Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton calls Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton "Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton".

edit: By the way, the OP's use of the term "US", without even the decency to add the periods after each letter is apalling, he is clearly not a patriot. It is The United States of America, not "US"
    Last edited by Thekri; 2014-12-10 at 05:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    To me, doesn't really seem like something worth getting offended about. The emotion that is brought up during the first verse is enough for me to remember how much I love living in this country. It's your right to be offended by that, but there are plenty of other things that piss me off instead of that.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Deleted
    If you dont like the country, youre free to leave it!
    You would let him go, just like that ? While this person obviously needs to be readjusted, you would let him leave and spread his nonsense over the world, like a disease, against your beloved nation? That's treason man, I thought you were one of the good guys.

I thought Borat's version was the official one.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltah View Post
    Or a thinly veiled attempt to show off vastly superior obscure knowledge about God save the Quee... I mean the National Anthem.
    God Save the Queen is My Country 'Tis of Thee, not the Star Spangled Banner.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you dont like the country, youre free to leave it! Also, I dont know what baseball games youre going to but every one Ive seen sings Take Me Out to The Ball Game. Not God Bless America
    Hey, if you don't like things, you're free to leave! Go set up your own country and sing all 4 verses.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.