Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Introducing the New Daily Achievement System

Introducing the New Daily Achievement System

by Mike Zadorojny on December 10, 2014

Content-Driven Achievement Rewards

With the Wintersday festival coming on December 16, we’re releasing a new version of the daily achievement system. With this new system, we want to give players the opportunity to try things they may not normally experience and feel like the rewards they earn for doing so mean something. Rather than having a generic reward for all achievements, each one will give players something that is thematically tied to the content they’re playing. Completing a fractal daily achievement will get you an extra pristine fractal relic, some additional agony resistance , and a tome of knowledge; taking a tower in WvW for an achievement will grant you World vs. World experience and additional badges of honor; or capturing a point in PvP will give you additional reward track progress. We want the rewards to help drive players to the content, not general rewards for all achievements.

To help accomplish this, we’ve broken the daily achievements into three distinct categories based on their game types: PvE, WvW, and PvP. Additionally, we’ve created a separation of easier achievements like “Killing 3 Players in WvW,” and more challenging ones like “Win 1 Match in PvP as a Mesmer” or “Defeat the Shatterer.” Easier achievements are quicker to accomplish, but harder achievements will give players greater rewards.

As part of this change, we removed achievement points from the individual dailies. In the past, if you wanted to max out your achievement points, you’d have to do all ten daily achievements in a day and run all over the world. Instead, we’ve created a new meta-achievement for completing any combination of three daily achievements from any category. Completing this meta-achievement will award you a flat 10 achievement points that count toward your daily achievement point cap. So now players concentrating on achievement points only need to ensure they finish three daily achievements. Players will earn rewards other than achievement points if they complete additional achievements; you can do more achievements if you’re excited about the additional rewards, but you don’t have to feel pressured to do all of them every day to reach your achievement point max.

With the launch of this new system, December will be the last month to include monthly achievements. The monthly achievements provided larger goals to players but were still fairly generic and repetitive, and they don’t fit well with the new reward paradigm. Because some of you have already made progress on your monthlies, we will leave them in for this final month, allowing you to earn bonus laurels.

Finally, in a release coming early next year, we will merge the existing daily and monthly achievement point caps into one pool. This will allow players to continue working toward the maximum point totals for the daily achievement system without the existence of monthly achievements. “What about the rewards from the existing daily and monthly achievements? What about the laurels and Mystic Coins?” you might be asking. Well, fear not!

Log-in Rewards

One of the things we want to do is reward players for being fans of Guild Wars 2. So we’ve moved the original rewards from daily and monthly achievements, thrown in some new items for good measure, and combined it all into a new bonus system that rewards players just for logging in to the game. The first time you log in each day, you’ll receive a new bonus reward. The items on this new reward track are not only a combination of the previous daily and monthly achievement rewards but also some additional items we’ve added, including bags full of trophies needed for crafting and an exotic equipment chest guaranteed to give you an item for the profession of your choice.

One way to think of this is like a holiday calendar that gives you a new present from ArenaNet each day. There are 28 individual rewards on the track, each one building toward an epic chest containing a permanent 1% increase to account gold find and your choice of either ascended crafting materials, materials necessary for crafting your legendary weapon (including mystic clovers), an additional sum of laurels, or tomes of knowledge.

Missed a day because of work, vacation, or a work vacation? No worries, your progress is still there! The next time you log in, you’ll pick up where you left off. The system will only reset once you’ve claimed the 28th and final reward.

With the new daily achievement and log-in reward systems, players should have more things to do each day and feel more rewarded for being a hero. Happy achievement hunting, and we’ll see you in Tyria!
    Valar morghulis

Removing Monthlies seems overall a decent move, changes to Dailies sound interesting, and the Daily gimme is a smart move to keep people logging in, though I know it's gonna cause an epic bitchfest from people.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Removing Monthlies seems overall a decent move, changes to Dailies sound interesting, and the Daily gimme is a smart move to keep people logging in, though I know it's gonna cause an epic bitchfest from people.
    I haven't seen a bitchfest yet (although it is still early). It is a nice change but I don't think it was really needed.

Looks like an interesting set of changes to me. And even if it isn't strictly needed, it's a good way to shake things up a bit and make it more interesting for longer term players.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I haven't seen a bitchfest yet (although it is still early). It is a nice change but I don't think it was really needed.
    It is if they go on another four-month LS break with no xpac and wanna try and keep people logging in.

This is the 3rd time now they have redone the achievement system in a year? The daily rewards seem useless to me. Ascended mats? Really? Because we don't already have enough to the point where we are deleting them.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The alternative daily rewards are useless to me, I'll stick with getting Laurels cos it's steady daily income flipping them for T6 mats. But shakeups to daily tasks are welcome. If I never do another Reviver daily, I will be a happy player.

This seems a bit overwrought. On the bright side, I don't have to feel obligated to log in to find the five easiest dailies. 3 skill points 1 level 20 gathers 10 recycles 1 laurel vendor best daily set

I'm kinda confused why they don't scrap the system and come up with something new if they have to reiterate on the daily achievements design so much. Maybe they did? Idk.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I like the change. The possibility to choose one of the reward chests is nice... and unlike zito states you don't have to go for the ascended mats. Correct me if I'm wrong zito, but your comment looks like you have no choice. I'll take the Legendary crafting mats or the grand experience (to level my alts) at any time. Also a permanent boost to goldfind everytime... awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I like the change. The possibility to choose one of the reward chests is nice... and unlike zito states you don't have to go for the ascended mats. Correct me if I'm wrong zito, but your comment looks like you have no choice. I'll take the Legendary crafting mats or the grand experience (to level my alts) at any time. Also a permanent boost to goldfind everytime... awesome.
    Like I said. The rewards are useless to me. I'm not sure how more clear I could make it?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    This seems a bit overwrought. On the bright side, I don't have to feel obligated to log in to find the five easiest dailies. 3 skill points 1 level 20 gathers 10 recycles 1 laurel vendor best daily set

I'm kinda confused why they don't scrap the system and come up with something new if they have to reiterate on the daily achievements design so much. Maybe they did? Idk.
    It's being reduced to 3 daily tasks for 10 AP, and like you say, the rewards are no longer tied to the daily tasks, just log in. I like that you get a flat reward for doing any 3 tasks, so you can pick whatever suits you best and that's that, you don't have to feel like you're shirking on AP you could have earned. And not having Monthlies to do anymore feels like less of a chore for me, though I kinda like having goals like that, but also tend to drag my feet about them more and more. So just axing them doesn't really feel like much of a loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they put in a chance to get Mini Llama from daily rewards I WILL DAILY SO HARD EVERY DAY lmao.

Also, I don't know if they are removing the Ambient Killer, but I feel compelled to post this anyway.

Valar morghulis

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why people are shitting all over this. It's awesome. Maybe for someone who logs on and plays religiously every day it's not special, but for someone who likes to bounce in and out and sometimes doesn't play for months, this sounds amazing. Well done.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I don't know why people are shitting all over this. It's awesome. Maybe for someone who logs on and plays religiously every day it's not special, but for someone who likes to bounce in and out and sometimes doesn't play for months, this sounds amazing. Well done.
    Oh I think it's a nice change. But as I said, it's not something that I thought really needed to be changed in the first place but I certainly think it is better than what it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't confuse the couple scamps here that shit all over everything GW2 with the actual playerbase. This is getting rave reviews and thumbs ups everywhere.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...vement_system/
    Valar morghulis

I've got 350 laurels and been playing TOR lately anyway, so I'm not tied to the current system.

The only thing that struck me as amusing was seeing pvp/pve split again, they were just combined what, 2 months ago?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Oh I think it's a nice change. But as I said, it's not something that I thought really needed to be changed in the first place but I certainly think it is better than what it was.
    Anytime something is legitimately improved, it 'needed' to be changed...you know? Not only does this make both choosing achievements and their rewards more interesting, but it opens the door for more casual players (which is likely the majority of their playerbase) to enjoy more consistent rewards. I can't tell you how pressured I was to play nonstop to hit my dailies and monthlies when I was playing. It makes it easier to just not play. Knowing I can just log in at any time and still earn the same reward track really, really makes the game valuable to me and not pressured.

I mean I sound like a raving lunatic, but changes like this just make me insanely happy.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Like I said. The rewards are useless to me. I'm not sure how more clear I could make it?
    well Laurels and an increased gold find are useful for anyone in this game who wants to buy something (ingame or gemstore). Turn your Laurels into T6 mats which sell quite well. I take it you're not interested in anything from the gemstore then.

- - - Updated - - -

I think some might miss the rewards you get for every daily achievement. Before you just got the same boring reward for every daily (karma, xp, mystic coin, laurel). Now the harder the daily, the better the reward.

Completing a fractal daily achievement will get you an extra pristine fractal relic, some additional agony resistance , and a tome of knowledge; taking a tower in WvW for an achievement will grant you World vs. World experience and additional badges of honor; or capturing a point in PvP will give you additional reward track progress.
    I love this

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Love the Idea Im just worried about the things they might break in the process and leave broken for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still kills me they are wasting dev time on shit like this, a welcome change though not having to do every single daily for the AP, not like I did it anyway.