Poll: Do you like the new "strongbox" reward system from BGs?

Thread: BG Strongboxes

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BG Strongboxes

So now that the expansion has been out for a bit more than a month, what are your guys' thoughts on Strongboxes?

Personally I'd rather the old way of gearing via honor or just change the boxes so they can't contain gold (or if the tech is available don't give gold until every slot has PvP gear in it). Trying to gear my priest has been a complete nightmare, most of the boxes have gold, with a select few having honor and even fewer having gear (and even then I've gotten the same pair of bracers 4 times now).

So just wondering if any of the rest of you felt this way or if you feel they're a decent addition. Or maybe you're just indifferent.

Deleted
    I haven't had a single character that took more than a couple of days using the Gladiator's Sanctum to gear fully. I think I only did about 5 BGs and I got the rest through work orders.

Uh, I love it. SUPER fast gearing, and then after I'm geared out I get showered with DE material....

I love it, gearing is stupidly fast now. About 6 hours worth of BGs got my Warrior and my Priest fully geared, starting with 4k honor on both of them.

It's pretty nice finishing a BG getting 200 honor and a whole piece of gear, instead of doing 5+ BGs for one piece you can just get it in a box, hell I got my weapon on my Warrior from like my 3rd game, that's 3500 honor I didn't need to grind. That's pretty absurd, considering you only got like 500 honor a win in MoP, would have taken 7 wins but I got it in a box from one. Made gearing 100 times more bearable this time around, plus the Glad Sanctum helps out a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kals View Post
    Personally I'd rather the old way of gearing via honor or just change the boxes so they can't contain gold (or if the tech is available don't give gold until every slot has PvP gear in it). Trying to gear my priest has been a complete nightmare, most of the boxes have gold, with a select few having honor and even fewer having gear (and even then I've gotten the same pair of bracers 4 times now).
    I totally feel your pain. BG's being what they are, I lose a lot of games, and win a few here and there. I've gotten a bunch of pvp gear from the bronze boxes, but those have a much lower iLvl. A few decent pieces from silver boxes. Out of maybe 20 gold boxes, I've probably gotten gold 12 times, honor points 6 times, and some actual useful gear the other 2. Getting gear was awesome, and even honor points are somewhat acceptable, considering I'm trying to gear up. But getting gold totally brings me off the high of snatching that win.

Is this me just getting only gold from the boxes all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it needs a bit of an adjustment. I geared up quicker from my Sanctum than I did continuously queuing for Battlegrounds and winning over half of them as I'd get more Gold and Primal Aspirant gear than anything.

There still needs to be some fail-safe for those people who lose battleground's in droves

I hate them.. I have done hundreds of BGs and NO ITEMS from any box.. I remember when me and my friends all hit 100 we jumped into BGs right away within a few hours they were all half way geared.. Me.. NOTHING.. I do not get gear from boxes so I hate them very much so

Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    I hate them.. I have done hundreds of BGs and NO ITEMS from any box.. I remember when me and my friends all hit 100 we jumped into BGs right away within a few hours they were all half way geared.. Me.. NOTHING.. I do not get gear from boxes so I hate them very much so
    Hundreds of BGs... no gear from boxes? Going to call bullshit so hard on that. Arena boxes are not the same as BG boxes btw. Arena boxes seem to suck overall.

Absolutely love the idea of it, but it's got some minor flaws.

Firstly, as Blithe said, it's bad for people who queue alone and are on a losing faction.

Secondly, as you said in the OP, you get the same piece 4 times in a row (or the complete wrong trinkets, etc).

Could potentially fix it by giving tokens to buy gear. A 'gear' token and an 'accessory' token - one for armor and one for cape/neck/ring/trinkets. You get your token from a strongbox, head over to the vendor and buy the piece you want. That way you can buy the gear you want and don't get double-ups.

To fix the issue of the losing team not getting gear - it could instead drop Combatant tokens for the winning team, and Aspirant tokens for the losing team.. and have a vendor for each.

I actually really like that idea Snuggli. Kinda sucks when you get a chestpiece and you're like "woo! 2 piece finally" and it turns out to be the off-piece with no set bonus. >_>

Deleted
    I am not in favour of the new system, seems to make gearing up far too easy. I managed to fully gear my druid on my second day after hitting 100 which makes it feel a bit faceroll. I am not suggesting that gearing up should be a horrible grind, but it feels just a little too easy at the moment.

Problem with letting you choose what gear you get is it makes gearing way way way too easy. Blizzard still wants it to take a little effort, if you could pick your gear they might as well just remove Honor altogether and just give you the gear at 100, would take literally like three hours to get full gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I haven't had a single character that took more than a couple of days using the Gladiator's Sanctum to gear fully. I think I only did about 5 BGs and I got the rest through work orders.
    This. The strongboxes are fine but if you're into PvP build the Sanctum. Literally nothing better than that for AFK gearing and currencies.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

More than just the fast gearing, it's the random feeling that I really enjoy... This feeling of a chance to get loot every BG I do keeps me wanting to do them more-so than the knowledge of "12 more bgs until I get my boots". I feel like if they hadn't added strongboxes but reduced the costs to equal the time it currently takes to get full geared it wouldn't be as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Yeah, but it only takes a few hours of BGs to get 80% of the gear now.

Deleted
    Is this the only boxes you get from PvP btw? Is there any chance to get them from Arena or RBG ?

Deleted
    What happened to MMO's actually require work to get gear? It's already too easy and people still complain. Maybe an FPS is more for you.

Deleted
    Meh, it's good I guess if it didn't give lower quality pvp gear (aspirant's? really? WHYYYYY????), duplicates of what I already got, or gold even in the epic boxes.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Between Ashran, Garrison's and BGs Gear is thrown at you. I got my entire 1700 Cap last week from Ashran, Gladiator's Sanctum gifts Gear, Gold and Honor, and Ashran throws boxes at you from looting stuff. A friend of mine has done a BG or two and spent most of his time in Ashran and was Conquest Capped and full 620 Geared. Reallt easy now, and lots more fun.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kals View Post
    So now that the expansion has been out for a bit more than a month, what are your guys' thoughts on Strongboxes?

So just wondering if any of the rest of you felt this way or if you feel they're a decent addition. Or maybe you're just indifferent.
    I really don't understand what you're asking for man.

You still get the crappy honor per win, but now you get gear literally thrown at you via boxes, and that's not even starting on Glad sanctum loot which quite frankly has made gearing up alts SUPER easy.

For those of us who exclusively PvP only, the gold is a welcome bonus to help pay for repairs, the enchanters study is also a god-send (for me) as it gives me some enchants I don't have to pay for, and a bunch of auction gold from DE'ing all the unwanted gear, which allows me to at least enchant my purple PvP gear (which the prices have gone through the roof!).