Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Except the question you posited in your OP was asking if people are switching from video games to board games. The first person to respond to you said it wasn't going to happen. Then you respond with that article as if to refute his response.

How do video games not have long term playing value relative to board games?

I'd like to see a source for games "getting trashed", because most gamers I know hold onto games forever.

Virtual console. Playstation Store. Xbox Marketplace. Good Old Games. Steam. Etc.

I'm sorry, but if you go into a hobby shop and don't see stupid board game clones all over the place then you are fucking blind. The board game industry is not some amazing bastion of creativity, it is plagued with all the imitators and shameless rip-offs you see in every other form of entertainment.

Funny how you're now contradicting the statement you opened this post with.
    The video game player is very narrow minded and consumes products within months if not weeks.

And how many are still playing a video game after 20 years? 50 ?

You know when I break open a board wargame of 30 years ago, it is as fresh and playable as if I bought it yesterday.

The present day console game has a life expectancy of what 3 weeks or 3 months ?

And actually when I buy 10 console games, chances are it has 9 shooters in different forms.

The future is not the next console shooter.

If this will not change, some will be surprised how fast it could collapse as graphics are fast reaching limits here.

No matter how you turn it: boardgames are "hot" these days. The next console game is just another "meh" in an ocean of "mehs", lasting just a few weeks and then you can buy them at 30% of the Original price.

That's a problem, a serious one.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-12-12 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Heaping helpings of hyperbole.
    Citation needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever since a few years back, my mates and I have been getting back into board games. There most definitely is a resurgence in their popularity, and more and more are being released every year. I have no doubt that within the next few years, board games will be as mainstream (again?) as video gaming is now.

Board games may be rising in popularity, but comparing them to video games as if they are substitutes doesn't really make sense. They are two distinct products which are experienced very differently by consumers. How often does the average WoW player log on? Probably every day or two. How often does the average owner of Risk or Monopoly break out the board? Much less often, probably for a social occasion or family visit. It's just as viable a form of entertainment as video games, but the comparison is apples and oranges when you look at how the two forms of games are played by the majority of consumers.