10+ Year Old Account

Whats up with Atlasloot not gettting updates?

Does anyone know? Has the project been abandoned? Is the creator having IRL issues? I'm not complaining but rather curious as to why one of the best and most used addons has suddenly gone so long without an update this expansion. If the authors need help the community needs to try to step up. This addon has been around for years and the creators deserve help from us if needed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Does anyone know? Has the project been abandoned? Is the creator having IRL issues? I'm not complaining but rather curious as to why one of the best and most used addons has suddenly gone so long without an update this expansion. If the authors need help the community needs to try to step up. This addon has been around for years and the creators deserve help from us if needed.
    There are beta versions of it available. The AddOn devs are just being really slow. There's a lot of discussion on Curse about it. Honestly, I understand that it's a project they do in their sparetime, but quite frankly with the attitude that they've taken with community members that have offered feedback/suggestions (Not just snark.) - Fuck 'em. Someone else will eventually pick up the slack and make another AddOn that does the same thing.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The authors will update the beta in good time. They've posted that they pushed out the beta with just the raid/dungeon loot because PVE gear was the focus of the addon, and that other content and completion of features in the new format will come as they have time. They have their own work/life/gameplay schedule to work around, and with the entirely new format of ATlasLoot they can't simply copy and paste the collections, etc. the thousands of items and variations of those items all have to be entered again and it takes time.

Tldr; it'll be ready when it's ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    There are beta versions of it available. The AddOn devs are just being really slow. There's a lot of discussion on Curse about it. Honestly, I understand that it's a project they do in their sparetime, but quite frankly with the attitude that they've taken with community members that have offered feedback/suggestions (Not just snark.) - Fuck 'em. Someone else will eventually pick up the slack and make another AddOn that does the same thing.
    You should see some of the comments they're getting. I can understand their reaction. Even a week into WoD they were being called every vile name under the sun. It must be super disheartening to have your "users" posting such awful abuse just because you can't get your free addon finished to their schedule. No wonder they start viewing everyone in such a jaded way. More folks should be on there shaming the abusers, rather than silently letting them represent the userbase.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2014-12-11 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Supakaiser; 2014-12-11 at 11:24 PM.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Rip AtlasLoot, my money is it will never return to its former glory.

@supakaiser -

What does that have to do with it being finished? It's still got a lot of stuff to update. Most of the pre-existing functionality is missing. Not complaining, but I've addressed this further up. That a partially working beta exists is known, and doesn't help answer OPs question.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Well to be honest, with such an attitude - fuck that addon, seriously. More than month has passed by already and we still have both zero functional Atlasloot and zero apologizes from its devs. If they have no time to manage addon updates - why fuck peoples' brains and don't leave it to someone who actually cares?
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Well to be honest, with such an attitude - fuck that addon, seriously. More than month has passed by already and we still have both zero functional Atlasloot and zero apologizes from its devs. If they have no time to manage addon updates - why fuck peoples' brains and don't leave it to someone who actually cares?
    Because it's their code ?

I don't post much but they had a beta version showing the raids stuff before raids opened for WoD
    so just do a little more work on your part and download the beta version it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    You should see some of the comments they're getting. I can understand their reaction. Even a week into WoD they were being called every vile name under the sun. It must be super disheartening to have your "users" posting such awful abuse just because you can't get your free addon finished to their schedule. No wonder they start viewing everyone in such a jaded way. More folks should be on there shaming the abusers, rather than silently letting them represent the userbase.
    Point #1: Yes, it's awful, it shouldn't happen, and we should stop it every time we can.

Point #2: It happens every fucking time to every fucking team about every fucking project. So just fucking deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Last View Post
    I don't post much but they had a beta version showing the raids stuff before raids opened for WoD
    so just do a little more work on your part and download the beta version it works fine.
    Lol, who cares about WoD raid/dungeon drops? Atlasloot is needed because of its collections, which are not functioning in wod's beta.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Because it's their code ?
    I think, if you don't have enough time to develop your own project, you shoul step aside and let people who have time do it. It is a normal, usual, right and polite thing. It is abnormal to not update your project for more than a month, unless you want your project to die and be long forgotten. We're not in 2004 anymore.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Lol, who cares about WoD raid/dungeon drops? Atlasloot is needed because of its collections, which are not functioning in wod's beta.

I think, if you don't have enough time to develop your own project, you shoul step aside and let people who have time do it. It is a normal, usual, right and polite thing. It is abnormal to not update your project for more than a month, unless you want your project to die and be long forgotten. We're not in 2004 anymore.
    Anyone is free to take it over anytime they want. According to the Blizzard Addon TOS, you don't need to ask for permission to fork someone's addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Anyone is free to take it over anytime they want. According to the Blizzard Addon TOS, you don't need to ask for permission to fork someone's addons.
    I don't think that is true. It depends on the license.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogs View Post
    I don't think that is true. It depends on the license.
    The idea that you can fork an addon freely is absolutely, totally untrue. The only requirement placed on the code itself is that it must not be run through an obfuscator; beyond that, it is one hundred percent standard ToS (eg: don't mess up the game, don't grief people, don't abuse).

Copyright law applies, and so an addon that is under a license that doesn't permit forking is entirely, totally restricted: you can't fork it, copy it, reuse code from it, etc.

For a concrete example, see what happened with VEM copying DBM and modifying it: the developers relicensed newer code to a non-free license, and VEM was taken down by curse and wowinterface as it should have been. (Legally. Morally, we can argue back and forth all day about "is this overall good", but whatever. This is a discussion about law, not what is right and wrong.)

The good news is that AtlasLoot Enhanced is licensed under the GPLv2, which means you *can* fork it without permission, etc, so someone can pick up that addon without restriction, permission, or whatever.

...but, yeah, don't mistake "you must not obfuscate the source code" for "copyright law does not apply".

I am curious, there are a few posts here about Atlas Loot. I have not used the addon in several years, but what do people use Atlas Loot for these days or what do you lose by not having it? When I used it, it showed what loot was available from what bosses in game and it was very handy for this purpose. You can see all the loot table per boss and sort by spec, etc in the dungeon journal now. So, what else did Atlas Loot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloaf View Post
    I am curious, there are a few posts here about Atlas Loot. I have not used the addon in several years, but what do people use Atlas Loot for these days or what do you lose by not having it? When I used it, it showed what loot was available from what bosses in game and it was very handy for this purpose. You can see all the loot table per boss and sort by spec, etc in the dungeon journal now. So, what else did Atlas Loot?
    Pretty much everything in the game you could want to look at gear wise and where it came from within dungeons as mentioned and outside of them as well such as currency vendors, rep vendors, world events/holidays, sets in an easy to find place (PvE/PvP), collections (legendaries, mounts, pets). It's was a badass addon and nearly required when you're one of the people looked to for "hey where can I get item 'x' " in your guild/raid/friends group.

Currently there is a functioning version but it's missing alot of those old features, thus the concern of whats going on. They upgraded the visual/UI of it but lost ALOT of it's data links.

There is a working alpha/beta, so isn't "zero functionality".
    You are either not using it, or exaggerating.
    Either way, it is not the fault of the developers.
    Incomplete does not equal not working.

Not meeting the arbitrary expectations of some random user does not equal not caring.
    Given an attitude like this, I am sure they would be glad to see you going elsewhere.

Sure it is disappointing, but if an alternative was a trivial matter someone else would have done it long ago.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-12-17 at 01:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.