Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much of a difference will this be for my weight loss?

Ok so first off I was unemployed looking for work for a while just sitting at home gaming pretty much all day but going to the gym for a little over an hour every day, rest was spent looking for jobs and playing games. Recently I have some temporary work at my brothers workplace that has a high chance of becoming full time after christmas.

Now the job is a lot of labouring work, drilling holes, grinding things, lifting heavy objects, sanding etc etc

Stats:

Height: 5 Ft 8
    Weight: 107.6 Kilograms

Diet:
    Breakfast: 1 Banana or Protein Shake around 5:30am before leaving for work
    Morning Tea(Smokeo): Brown Bread sandwich with ham or chicken no butter, light amount of BBQ sauce (I hate mayo)
    Lunch: Healthy salad
    Dinner: Any type of chicken/fish/steak with salad or veggies, use to be with oven fries but stopped eating them.

Drinks: Pepsi Max (literally no calories/sugar), Around 8 bottles of water a day, protein shake after work out (usually dont have one in the morning unless I dont have anything else to eat)

Work schedule at the moment: 6am starts til 5pm finishes.

So it's a massive change in that i'm not sitting on my ass all day and im doing work now, how big will this help my progress?

Deleted
    1)
    I do not see the reason why you would like to eat/drink protein shakes if your primary goal is to lose weight. "Sport" additions are very overrated, are you sure you really need protein shakes on your current level ?
    Protein shakes do not make you full, imho eat a big load of veggies, not very sweet fruits, or salad instead. It will keep you full for a longer time, until you have the next meal. Add low fat cottage cheese to your diet, do not be afraid of dairy products, just try buying them with minimal extra additions ( like we have "milk" with sugar and other shit added in our shops ). Eggs is also a good addition to your diet. For example a couple of boiled eggs, glass of low fat milk and half of grapefruit could be an excellent launch or breakfast ( consider adding oatmeal there, good carbohydrates are cool! )
    While i say low-fat often - do not cut fat level to the zero, fat is essential for the body ( hormones, including testosterone are "made" of it ), so nuts, eggs, some fat from meat and dairy products could be a good addition to you diet.

2)
    Imho - better forget about all of this "recomp" stories, that people like to share. It rarely works good on natural athletes.
    1 - loose fat
    2 - gain muscle with minimal fat
    Do not try to achieve it at the same time, chances are high you will fail. For some people it may work ok, but not for all.

3)
    Also, when i was on your place i completely cut all trash food out of my diet, and i consider "diet" drinks to be a trash food also. People still argue if artificial sweeteners are good/bad for the health, it is still under investigation how it affects insulin/blood sugar levels ( taken VERY roughly it affects fat level ).
    4)
    Another additions - you did not say your complete diet prior to changes, that you decided to make, but if you ate a lot of trash food, switching to healthy food, without dramatic changes of quantity should already be enough to lose weight, in case you have a proper gym workout and cardio.
    Do not try to hasten the process, if you cut you calories too much - you will feel yourself like shit and your fat loss will be very slow.
    Last edited by mmoc63e873a820; 2014-12-12 at 11:29 AM.

Eating well (which you are) is only half the battle; if you want to lose weight, how often & hard are you doing cardio? Running, sprints, hill sprints, intervals, swimming will all help big time, and when used with a diet like you described, will accelerate the weight loss.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems your more physical job will already help, at least in comparison to sitting on your butt all day. Still, I used to work in a store room and while it helped a bit, I still found time and energy to do some simple exercise when I got home and especially on my days off. Playing off of what anakin57 said, exercise can be critical, but you don't necessarily need to do completely traditional exercises if you find it is hard to motivate yourself to do stuff like that. I danced a couple hours a day to lose weight and melted between 40 - 50 lbs (18 - 23 kg) over not too long of a period. Find something active and physical that you're willing to do for an extended period of time.

Deleted
    Try getting rid of the pepsi max, I noticed it made me hungry as **** no matter how much I stuffed myself
    Now I am attending university, and I've moved into my own apartment, and I can't afford drinking all that diet coke (soda is actually not cheap where I live), so I've gotten rid of it,
    and now I am MUCH less hungry, and I am talking a world of difference, probably 800-1000 calories worth of "clean food" every day.

Although, I wasn't trying to lose much weight, but just maintaing, while lifting heavy at the gym

good luck
    Last edited by mmoc514be02116; 2014-12-13 at 01:57 PM.

Yeah my diet is fine probably can replace the pepsi max with green tea / more water, after a week of going to the gym and this new physical job of at least 10 hrs a day on my feet I put on 0.5kilos, eating no crap at all but then again I dont do cardio I just lift weights when I go to the gym as I find cardio boring and lifting weights makes your metabolism go all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    Yeah my diet is fine probably can replace the pepsi max with green tea / more water, after a week of going to the gym and this new physical job of at least 10 hrs a day on my feet I put on 0.5kilos, eating no crap at all but then again I dont do cardio I just lift weights when I go to the gym as I find cardio boring and lifting weights makes your metabolism go all day.
    find a hill and do sprints, it's not so boring then
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Drink all the Pepsi Max you want. It doesn't matter. If you're trying to lose weight, then just eat less food. That's it. There's no secret to it. You don't even have to do any cardio if you don't want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimsumlol View Post
    Drink all the Pepsi Max you want. It doesn't matter. If you're trying to lose weight, then just eat less food. That's it. There's no secret to it. You don't even have to do any cardio if you don't want to.
    That's the bottom line which is easier to follow if you have a lifestyle whereby you don't crave so much. If you're walking past the cheesecake isle and you can't resist putting it in the trolley it means you've made a mistake somewhere else down the line, that's how I see it.

Saying it's as simple as eating less is like saying all you need to do to kill a raid boss is to not let the tank die.

Deleted
    im 23 years old and i lose my leg in car crash and my weight is less

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Saying it's as simple as eating less is like saying all you need to do to kill a raid boss is to not let the tank die.
    This is an interesting analogy because it kind of works - compartmentalize things, focus on individual elements rather than getting caught up in, "oh no, there's so many mechanics!". For a healer with a designated tank assignment, they're going to be doing 90% of their job if they keep their tank up and dodge things on the ground - likewise, if someone's trying to lose weight, they're 90% home if they spend a month developing good eating and exercise habits. The other 10% matters (BoP the guy standing in fire!, don't overeat at dessert time), but if the basic habits are good, it's a lot easier to take care of that 10%.

Deleted
    If you eat like that while having a "physical job" and going the gym a few times a week you will end up losening weight for sure (both fat BUT also muscle). You will run out of energy, you gonna feel tired and will take looooong to recover. (if that list is correct your CH intake is way too low for such a "lifestyle")

I'd definitely suggest cutting the Pepsi Max as it contains aspartame which is highly likely to negatively impact your metabolism and also have a negative impact on your serotonin levels. Aka, aspartam can inhabit how happy you feel.

In regards to the weight you put on, it may simply be that your body has retained an excess amount of water at that particular point or if you weighed yourself during the evening in comparison to a morning weight or even that you were slightly more dehydrated at the comparison weight.

I can tell you right now that if you want to maximize fat loss, you will do some sort of cardio or exercise before your first meal of the day. The only thing you can really drink is water or maybe some black coffee. You drastically shock your metabolism by working out after the fasting process of deep sleep. Once you actually start to put calories into your body...you totally miss the opportunity. That includes things like sugar in a beverage. I'm not saying that you must do this, but it will greatly increase your ability to start burning calories every day.

Skip the bullshit fake sodas. Real sugar is much better for your body. Hell, even the corn syrup is. Artificial sweeteners are legitimately linked to both weight gain and cancer. No thanks.

To be blunt, you will be eating more than what you have listed. Once you start doing that manual labor, and burning what little calories you DO put into your body, you will be starving! Try 5 small-medium sized meals per day. That goes without saying honestly. It's how you grow, but it's also the key to a healthy (and active) metabolism. If you go more than roughly 3-4 hours without eating something, then your body actually sort of thinks that it is starving, and works to hold on to calories.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I actually help train a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Beersdagreat View Post
    I can tell you right now that if you want to maximize fat loss, you will do some sort of cardio or exercise before your first meal of the day. The only thing you can really drink is water or maybe some black coffee. You drastically shock your metabolism by working out after the fasting process of deep sleep. Once you actually start to put calories into your body...you totally miss the opportunity. That includes things like sugar in a beverage. I'm not saying that you must do this, but it will greatly increase your ability to start burning calories every day.

Skip the bullshit fake sodas. Real sugar is much better for your body. Hell, even the corn syrup is. Artificial sweeteners are legitimately linked to both weight gain and cancer. No thanks.

To be blunt, you will be eating more than what you have listed. Once you start doing that manual labor, and burning what little calories you DO put into your body, you will be starving! Try 5 small-medium sized meals per day. That goes without saying honestly. It's how you grow, but it's also the key to a healthy (and active) metabolism. If you go more than roughly 3-4 hours without eating something, then your body actually sort of thinks that it is starving, and works to hold on to calories.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I actually help train a lot of people.
    So much rhetoric in this post I almost passed out.

There's no such thing as shocking your metabolism. You don't need to go for a jog in the morning while you're starving to burn extra fat. It doesn't work that way. You're burning calories constantly and your body will do it on its own without help from you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...burn-more-fat/

Post a source that diet sodas lead to cancer. An actual study that proves this. You're spewing more nonsense that has since been dis-proven. It's the same as people saying that the divorce rate is at 50%! Wrong, it's at 15%, but was at 50% in the 40's-60's. But people hear it one time and assume it's a fact. It's not.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par64.htm
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...home/aspartame

Also, more BS about eating small meals. Plenty of studies out there that say it doesn't matter how many meals you eat or how big they are. You could eat an entire pizza for lunch and nothing the rest of the day and guess what, your body is still going to burn the same amount in 24 hours as it would if you ate smaller meals.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meal...weet-spot.html

Your body does not work to hold on to calories. It needs them to produce heat to keep you alive. It's not going to suddenly stop trying to keep you alive because you may be a little hungry.
    http://www.shapesense.com/nutrition/...explained.aspx

The only way to lose weight is with a calorie deficit. Plain and simple. There's two ways to do this. You can eat more than you burn in a day and exercise off the rest, or you can eat less than you burn in a day and not need to worry about exercise.

Edit: If this dude is going to be doing manual labor for 11 hours per day and going to the gym for an hour, he can easily eat 4000 calories per day and still lose weight. OP, as long as you're weightlifting at the gym and retaining your lean muscle mass (possibly even gaining some if you consume enough protein) then you'll for sure lose weight and be much more fit. For serious, if I were in your position, I would triple the amount of food you eat just to have some energy. You're going to be wiped out if you eat that little and expect to be active for 12 hours per day, five days per week, for any length of time.
    Last edited by Dimsumlol; 2014-12-19 at 06:04 AM.

Yeah I have been going from gaming all day sitting on my ass to working 10-12 hours a day manual labor lifting a lot etc then going to the gym with my brother after work (we work together), a lot of gating and fences so heavy shit. Btw how bad is pepsi max going to effect me if i'm drinking shit loads of water a day and doing all this work, it really can't do much if I have like between 1-3 glasses a day. Pepsi max says it has no calories and zero sugar sooo.

I try eat every 3 hours, morning smokeo is tuna and rice with a piece of fruit and bottle of water, lunch time is a big salad with boiled egg and 2 pieces of fruit, go to gym have protein shake after workout, get home and starving eat dinner go to bed pretty much the whole day atm. I probably can buy more food now that im employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimsumlol View Post
    So much rhetoric in this post I almost passed out.

There's no such thing as shocking your metabolism. You don't need to go for a jog in the morning while you're starving to burn extra fat. It doesn't work that way. You're burning calories constantly and your body will do it on its own without help from you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...burn-more-fat/

Post a source that diet sodas lead to cancer. An actual study that proves this. You're spewing more nonsense that has since been dis-proven. It's the same as people saying that the divorce rate is at 50%! Wrong, it's at 15%, but was at 50% in the 40's-60's. But people hear it one time and assume it's a fact. It's not.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par64.htm
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...home/aspartame

Also, more BS about eating small meals. Plenty of studies out there that say it doesn't matter how many meals you eat or how big they are. You could eat an entire pizza for lunch and nothing the rest of the day and guess what, your body is still going to burn the same amount in 24 hours as it would if you ate smaller meals.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meal...weet-spot.html

Your body does not work to hold on to calories. It needs them to produce heat to keep you alive. It's not going to suddenly stop trying to keep you alive because you may be a little hungry.
    http://www.shapesense.com/nutrition/...explained.aspx

The only way to lose weight is with a calorie deficit. Plain and simple. There's two ways to do this. You can eat more than you burn in a day and exercise off the rest, or you can eat less than you burn in a day and not need to worry about exercise.

Edit: If this dude is going to be doing manual labor for 11 hours per day and going to the gym for an hour, he can easily eat 4000 calories per day and still lose weight. OP, as long as you're weightlifting at the gym and retaining your lean muscle mass (possibly even gaining some if you consume enough protein) then you'll for sure lose weight and be much more fit. For serious, if I were in your position, I would triple the amount of food you eat just to have some energy. You're going to be wiped out if you eat that little and expect to be active for 12 hours per day, five days per week, for any length of time.
    So what if it's rhetorical information? It's all absolutely correct. I've been bodybuilding for years and I know real bodybuilders. If I see that I am able to help someone, then I do it. I don't like taking money for knowledge that I was given for free, but I certainly could. I'm sure you probably won't believe me, but it really doesn't matter.

You can absolutely shock your metabolism. Any serious person in fitness knows this. So much can be done to your physique by simple nutrition and the manipulation of calories. I really don't have to link you some random page...this is common knowledge amongst any serious bodybuilder. The fact that you're linking me things from bodybuilding.com proves my point. Anybody serious about lifting or fitness knows that that website is chock full or a bunch of douche bags who do a whole lot more talking than they do training. I don't know what else to say about that...I really don't want to come off as an asshole, but it's just common knowledge on any of the real bber forums. Again, totally not trying to be a jerk, but have you ever been in the single digit body fat percentages? I've never gone below about 9-10% myself, but I know guys that cut down to 4% and shit, and there are certainly tricks to getting that lean, man. I'm not even going to argue with you about artificial sweeteners. There's plenty of information out there for anyone to make their own choice in either direction. Believe what you want.

Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit, sure, but you're sort of missing part of the equation here. There's absolutely a window of time where given the correct actions, a person most assuredly will either not lose weight, or actually gain weight while losing fat. That's why the mirror is the best judge, not a scale. The OP definitely will need to eat a lot more to compensate for his change in activity. Hell, the change in activity will shock his metabolism as is! I mean, your body strives to maintain homeostasis...so to be blunt, it gets used to how you treat it, and when you make a rather significant change to this "routine", your body does a "wtf" moment and goes crazy either burning, or storing calories. There are so many different things you can do to shock your metabolism. For instance, I know a lot of dudes who will change the time of the day that they consume carbs in alternating weeks, or days. Some guys take a day or two to load up on carbs and then drastically reduce that number (or eliminate it entirely) on training days. Try to really work out, and I mean go hard like you're training for a show, during a carb deficit, and then tell me that there aren't ways to shock your metabolism.

I hate to counter with a bunch of long winded, "holier than thou" type of bullshit, but I legitimately know a great deal about this subject, and I just want to help. I'm actually a veteran member of some established forums, and that doesn't necessarily have to mean much...it is the interwebs afterall, but I know a lot about this stuff. I don't care if you believe me or not, man. Anyone can look up what we're talking about if they're interested, and real bodybuilders just...know this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I have been going from gaming all day sitting on my ass to working 10-12 hours a day manual labor lifting a lot etc then going to the gym with my brother after work (we work together), a lot of gating and fences so heavy shit. Btw how bad is pepsi max going to effect me if i'm drinking shit loads of water a day and doing all this work, it really can't do much if I have like between 1-3 glasses a day. Pepsi max says it has no calories and zero sugar sooo.

I try eat every 3 hours, morning smokeo is tuna and rice with a piece of fruit and bottle of water, lunch time is a big salad with boiled egg and 2 pieces of fruit, go to gym have protein shake after workout, get home and starving eat dinner go to bed pretty much the whole day atm. I probably can buy more food now that im employed.
    Good stuff, dude. Clean eating and the change to your lifestyle will most certainly bring about some legitimate fat loss. Don't be surprised if your weight doesn't change, or goes up. The window of time when you start really building a muscle foundation is pretty special, too. You will most definitely see a big change in the mirror given enough time and hard work. Don't be discouraged if you don't see immediate, or drastic results...that really stops people short of their goal. Remember that it takes years for real obvious changes to come around. Conversely, it takes years for someone to get really fat, ya know?

The best bet is to eliminate the pepsi max, but that depends on how serious you want to take this. I still like to enjoy my damn food, but I am also able to maintain a body image that pleases me. Who knows man, maybe you'll become really interested in bodybuilding one day. Just remember that you get out what you put in, ya know? Fitness is all about being comfortable with your body image. So do just that, man. If you see that you're not making the progress that you want, then go back to the basics. Check your nutrition, and your routine(s)! You can always make a change somewhere.

So I guess it does help a lot, I weighed myself this morning like I do every monday and I lost 3.5kilos, I don't do any cardio just lifting going 6 days a week now and the manual labor job 10-12 hrs a day, drinking a lot of water and eating healthy (not starving myself so don't say losing that much weight is unhealthy blah blah). Going to be drinking on xmas day and NYE but other then than it's looking good for 2015!

I'd be careful with how fast you lose weight. While cutting weight rapidly may help you achieve your goals in the short-term, slower weight-loss will help you more in sustaining a healthy lifestyle.

Also, I'd ditch soda completely. >Daily consumption of Diet Soda is linked to an increase in the likelihood of metabolic syndrome (36% ^) and type 2 diabetes (67% ^) when compared with non-consumption (Nettleton et al, 2009). Not only that, Soda's bad for your teeth. May as well fully commit to the healthy lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by mashed94 View Post
    I'd be careful with how fast you lose weight. While cutting weight rapidly may help you achieve your goals in the short-term, slower weight-loss will help you more in sustaining a healthy lifestyle.

Also, I'd ditch soda completely. >Daily consumption of Diet Soda is linked to an increase in the likelihood of metabolic syndrome (36% ^) and type 2 diabetes (67% ^) when compared with non-consumption (Nettleton et al, 2009). Not only that, Soda's bad for your teeth. May as well fully commit to the healthy lifestyle
    Yeah I have been slowly losing weight while gaining muscle for the last year or 2 (lost about 25-30kg) so far it just slowed down a lot and the drastic change in what I do now just maybe shocked my body so thats why I lost 3.5kg in 1 week. I have been trying to replace pepsi max with green tea as well.