Thread: Bows & Arrows

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry Bows & Arrows

Why are they so expensive!?
    I just wanna shoot a target in my backyard and I look at some Bows online and they range at $400, $700, and even $1000
    I just wanna hit a target for a while - Other thing is there online so I don't really know how good they are until I get it.. I just want a basic bow with a C shape and a sting with some arrows and I've been noticing now bows have a line in the middle to hold your arrow for you and wheels at the top and bottom like wtf? I made my bow bows out of broken tree steams and string and Minecraft lies -_-
    My sting broke about 50 times... Anyone have any ideas?

This is the type of Bow I want: http://www.basspro.com/Diamond-SubAt...3101507013310/

Seems Expensive tho and idk if its made of metal or not :/

Also is it legal to have bows and arrows in Canada? I know they are filming Arrow in Vancouver so I think so but I wanted to make sure..?

Thanks!

The one you linked costs 100 dollar. Whats your problem again? I bough my recurve bow for 180 euros.

If you just wanna shoot some targets like me, you can easily buy semi pro bows for 100-200 dollars.

As to the legal status, a quick google would help you much faster. I can tell you that in most european countries a bow is a legal sports equipment. You just can't shoot it wherever you want

Deleted
    Last edited by mmocf6305105ff; 2014-12-12 at 11:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a license to own a bow in Canada.

$400-1000 depending on the kind of bow you want to buy is pretty standard really, modern bows are pretty fancy. If you want a cheap one, string a piece of sinew over a bendy stick - but modern bows are worth their cost

If you aren't really sure if archery is something you want to get into, swing by your local archery range and give it a try first - or take some lessons there. That will help you decide what kind of archery you want to do, and they will help recommend the right kind of bow to buy when you are ready.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    how big a back yard do you have a decent recurve, or compound bow will put an arrow a considerable distance!

These are not the kind of thing you casually shoot in your back garden!

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can get a fairly decent recurve at the $100 mark, But you'll like it more if you get one that costs a little more, I love archery, great way to pass some time^^ just make sure you have a decent backdrop behind your target, You don't want to lose an arrow somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    You can get a fairly decent recurve at the $100 mark, But you'll like it more if you get one that costs a little more, I love archery, great way to pass some time^^ just make sure you have a decent backdrop behind your target, You don't want to lose an arrow somewhere
    I lost so many arrows somewhere in the woods behind my parents house... and some i lost by hitting trees on accident. you can never get them out again without breaking them

Luckily arrows don't cost too much

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I lost so many arrows somewhere in the woods behind my parents house... and some i lost by hitting trees on accident. you can never get them out again without breaking them

Luckily arrows don't cost too much
    Where I shoot it's just a farmers field behind the target, so it's not too bad, We probably have one arrow go over a day now when 3 of us shooting, and it's normally mine xD

Make you own bow and arrow like the old days.

I'm pretty sure just randomly firing arrows in your back yard without a proper backstop is illegal.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bowhunt. I found, personally, that archery in general has a expensive start up cost but a cheap curve over time when you stop fucking up and bending your arrows by missing the target and once you know how to replace fletchings you're pretty much in the gold once you're an ace shot.

As opposed to shooting guns, where you always have to buy bullets.

Also get a good, strong glove for the hand you're going to pull back the string with. Makes the world ten times easier.

Also as far as bow laws goes, it's probably the lax of all the weapons - including knives. For some reason people aren't clamouring for bow control even though it's pretty lethal, quiet, but albeit pretty cumbersome but even then you can get some to break down in small parts if you're hellbent on smuggling.

Alas, no one ruined bows for the rest of us yet.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-12-12 at 05:41 PM.

I don't wanna kill stuff
    Just shoot a target in my backyard, I tired making my own the String keeps breaking -___-
    And $100 is average can't I get one for like $20? Q.Q
    I need more monies

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Also as far as bow laws goes, it's probably the lax of all the weapons - including knives. For some reason people aren't clamouring for bow control even though it's pretty lethal, quiet, but albeit pretty cumbersome but even then you can get some to break down in small parts if you're hellbent on smuggling.

Alas, no one ruined bows for the rest of us yet.
    Really, with the possible exception of daggers/shivs - bows have likely killed more people than any other weapon on earth - more than nukes or Kalishnikov's - they're one of the oldest weapons on record and are found everywhere on Earth - for multiple millennia empires rose and fell on the skill and tactics of archers: not to mention as the personal firearm of every hunter or nomad.

With all that said, and despite the capability of bows as a still-fully-capable weapon of assassination - I doubt we will seen them restricted any time soon - the day the streets run rampant with bow-wielding gangsters - or some VIP gets taken out at 400 yards by a compound bow, I'm sure people will become more concerned
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-12-13 at 04:11 AM.

I was always a big fan of Bear products when I was shooting. But I haven't shot for over 15 years now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny115 View Post
    I don't wanna kill stuff
    Just shoot a target in my backyard, I tired making my own the String keeps breaking -___-
    And $100 is average can't I get one for like $20? Q.Q
    I need more monies
    Of course, Walmart sells plenty of bows for like ~$20 - which might also be more appropriate for what you want to do. The big $400-1000 bows are for competition and/or killing animals bigger than men - they really aren't appropriate for suburbia

http://www.walmart.com/browse/sports...5_532292_79362
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-12-13 at 04:12 AM.

Try finding a bow shop. You can get barely used bows usually at a bargain.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

You can buy Bow and Arrow sets for $20. Less than $20 sometimes.

The arrows will have suction cups on the end, but you said you didn't want to kill anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Really, with the possible exception of daggers/shivs - bows have likely killed more people than any other weapon on earth
    I watched a demonstration once where a skilled archer shot at a suit of plate armor. The arrow went through the chest, through the filling inside, and out the back plate.

However, I'd suggest that carpet bombing in WW2 probably killed more than bows. Just guessing.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I watched a demonstration once where a skilled archer shot at a suit of plate armor. The arrow went through the chest, through the filling inside, and out the back plate.

However, I'd suggest that carpet bombing in WW2 probably killed more than bows. Just guessing.
    Probably. Only difference is, carpet bombs are expensive while bows just require you to pay in time.

@OP You can get a cheapo bow but if you really dig the hobby I'd recommend getting a good recurve bow - the one I'm using is the Samick Sage takedown bow. Comes in a bunch of parts but it's easy to set up if you're mildly competent.

That recurve comes in left and right handed and will cost you about 129 - 145 dollars.

It has a fifty pound draw so you can use small arrows and bigger aluminum arrows if it tickles your fancy and you can pull back fifty pounds. It's pretty expensive at first but after the initial cost it's not a real biggie so I hope you give it a whirl, it's pretty calming even as a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    You can buy Bow and Arrow sets for $20. Less than $20 sometimes.

The arrows will have suction cups on the end, but you said you didn't want to kill anything.
    ^ The premise is the same using a toy bow although it won't be that exciting to show off to your friends or kill a zombie. :P
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-12-13 at 06:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post

There have been 100 billion people on Earth so far, carpet bombing may have claimed millions, but that's almost certainly dwarved by arrows in our history