Deleted

Living in the moment.

I'm feeling a bit down and wondering, is it even possible to live in the moment and not always thinking on the future? This isn't really WoW fan-site material, but I don't know where else to post the question. What would you do if you were to say okay, NOW is when I live? In that instant would you somehow be thinking on the future again?

Deleted
    If I were to "live in the moment" I'd end up spending all my free time popping to the shops and buying Smarties, because at any particular moment that's likely to be what I'm thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I'm feeling a bit down and wondering, is it even possible to live in the moment and not always thinking on the future? This isn't really WoW fan-site material, but I don't know where else to post the question. What would you do if you were to say okay, NOW is when I live? In that instant would you somehow be thinking on the future again?
    The future doesn't bother me at all, it's the past that's a bitch.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If one "only lives in the moment" - by that meaning one does not do things in the present to preserve a certain future - one will one day wake up fat and realize you didnt do shit with your life.

The reason I study is because I plan for the future. You sacrifice a bit of the present to get a better future.

I don't know I could be completely wrong with my thinking on this so take it with a grain of salt. If your end goal is to be happy or content how is that made possible by 'living in the moment'? I mean sure if you are already at this point in your life where you content with everything then sure by all means continue living in the moment. But I think mostly everyone has some part of their life where they are unhappy with and unless you have a plan or begin to take action how to you ever expect that part of your life to get better? Unless your major deficiency in life is spontaneity living in the moment only pushes that ultimate goal of happiness further and further down the road.

Deleted
    My situation is different as I have a terminal illness so I rarely plan/think further than a week ahead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    If one "only lives in the moment" - by that meaning one does not do things in the present to preserve a certain future - one will one day wake up fat and realize you didnt do shit with your life.

The reason I study is because I plan for the future. You sacrifice a bit of the present to get a better future.
    When you reach your goal, do you revel in your accomplishment forever or straight away plan again until you die?

Deleted
    Planning for the future will (eventually) give you more happiness than "living in the moment".

Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and push through the hard times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    Why not do all 3?

Remember the past.
    Live in the present.
    Plan for the future.

Problem solved !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The future doesn't bother me at all, it's the past that's a bitch.
    "
    She would always like to say,
    "Why change the past,
    when you can own this day
    ?" "

I recommend a book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior". It's part fiction, but it's also a guide as to how to live in the moment.

It's also a movie that I've never seen and therefor can't recommend.

The book, however, is great.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's ok to remember the past and project a vision of your future. This can be done simultaneously with living in the moment. What seems to be a great waste of time is dwelling on a past negative experience or the fear of it happening again. One thing you can do when this happens to you is immediately interrupt that thought with a different one. At first, it will not seem easy to do, but you should keep trying. Soon, you will discover that you can interrupt a bad thought more and more easily. Practice. After a while wisdom will also come to you. This process has nothing to do with spirituality (unless you want it to), it's just plain old mental discipline.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually what I do everyday. Occasionally I think of the future like where I will be when I'm 40-50 years old, will I have a family of my own? Will I even get married? Hell, will I even get a girlfriend? And other stuff like at what age will I die? Thinking of these things is pretty scary. Scary because you have no idea what could happen. Something bad could happen or hopefully something good will happen who knows? But what you do know is what is in the now, what's happening in front of you right now. Stop worrying about the future and just worry about what's happening right now, it's more important. You spend too much time thinking about the future you'll miss out on the things passing by right in front you (I feel like this was a quote from a movie).

Like working in a retail store as a cashier or something. You help one person at a time. You're not worrying about the people behind that person, they can wait or they can leave, you have to focus on helping the person in front you. You start worrying about those other people you start to get reckless and panic and then you mess up your work and make that customer in front of you upset.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-12-13 at 05:04 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post

And yet its all ephemeral, a better future can mean a lot of things to different people, and in the end none of it matters as we all die, so enjoying a good life doing what makes you happy is what matters, above anything else.
    Now, having decent financial security, does take a bit of planning :P

People worry too much about the future, ending up with no present and nothing worth remembering in the past is generally what "live in the moment" means, but that refers to somewhat extreme situation or people obsessed/fearful of the future.
    How to achieve that... meh, takes effort to change your mindset but you can do it.

You can live in the moment while planning for the future. Getting bogged down in the future kills the present though, which will most likely kill the future too in my opinion.

I am a little confused..are you suggesting not to think of the future. This is not what living in the moment means. Living in the moment is what 19 year old starlets and beauty queens swear that they will do more of....fuck em!

Don't sweat the small stuff and find a purpose in life that is greater than you are, these are the 2 secrets to a happy life.... love is nice too but trust me, it is less important and far more erratic.

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    I am a little confused..are you suggesting not to think of the future. This is not what living in the moment means. Living in the moment is what 19 year old starlets and beauty queens swear that they will do more of....fuck em!

Don't sweat the small stuff and find a purpose in life that is greater than you are, these are the 2 secrets to a happy life.... love is nice too but trust me, it is less important and far more erratic.
    a lot of people do sweat the small stuff, personally I like the philosophy of "can you do something about it? do it and dont worry, you cant do something about it? then why worry, not in your hands" applies to big stuff as well.

A purpose greater than you are, ye i guess that can give satisfaction to a lot of people, hence organized religions, but not entirely sure if its required for happiness, might be more of a personal thing. Personally i find one of the keys to happiness is to come with terms with pain and death, they arent "bad things", they are inevitable and to worry about them is futile, understanding that means you are truly free to do what you want, what you enjoy and live a full life.

I do agree on the love part, its not needed for happiness at all, sadly as a culture we are taught its the thing to be happy, but it really isn't, it feels nice and when it works well its good, but hardly necessary. having friends and a community, is far more important.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2014-12-13 at 08:23 PM.