Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Harry Potter MMO - Soon to be on Kickstarter

A while ago Bio-Hazard Entertainment started work on a MMORPG set in the world of Harry Potter. Soon after first Artwork was published the Harry Potter MMO was put on hold by Warner Bros. while they decided "if the production would be a good investment or not." Now almost 10 Months later Bio-Hazard announced that they start working on it again and that it will be a kickstarter project with pre-production starting in 2015.

The Forum can be found here: http://thewizardingworldonline.com/

What are your thoughts on that? Is a MMORPG set in that franchise a good idea? Kickstarter?

Edit: I just realized i posted this in the wrong section. Would a mod be so nice and move it? :3
    Last edited by mmoc0f4b7c4548; 2014-12-13 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    but.....how will it work if all the characters have grown up and that other stuff that happened in book 7? most of them would have to be nameless npc's and that takes out most of the charm.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    It will suck anyway most mmos do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    but.....how will it work if all the characters have grown up and that other stuff that happened in book 7?
    It could be either set before the Harry Potter Books took place (kinda like what SWTOR did) or in the future.

Has potential to be huge just because it's potter. Wizard101 is pretty such a shoddy version and it made money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    It could be either set before the Harry Potter Books took place (kinda like what SWTOR did) or in the future.
    but then most of the characters that we all recgonize are gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Has potential to be huge just because it's potter. Wizard101 is pretty such a shoddy version and it made money.
    that's because kid's buy pretty much whatever they see on tv. they haven't developed the critical thinking skills to make good long term decisions fully yet. unless it wants to try and compete with wizarding 101 for their fanbase.....it will have to come up with some sort of interesting storyline to attract the older fans of the series.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It will suck anyway most mmos do.
    ^
    A lot gets compromised in MMOs.

Is there any source that they have all the legal issues cleared?

Doubt that Warner Bros and JK.Rowling would just hand out the rights without some garanties of a massive budget etc.

Deleted
    but then most of the characters that we all recgonize are gone.
    Well if it is said in the future it could be ~20ish years after the Events of Book 7. So most of the characters we know are still around.

Harry Potter universe doesn't strike me as doable MMO content. What exactly would you do to level your character? Kill spiders and attend classes?

A Harry Potter RPG like Elder Scrolls? Sure, why not? An MMO with raids, dungeons, group quests, PvP, monsters? No way.

Also, I love the "its the most anticipated MMO of the century..." lol, they really need to regulate phrases like that.

Sincerely, the greatest poster on MMO-Champion of all time.

I would try it. Hard to beat WoW but who knows? Am playing Project 1999 now, I'll play anything.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

but.....how will it work if all the characters have grown up and that other stuff that happened in book 7? most of them would have to be nameless npc's and that takes out most of the charm.
    theres a shit ton of harry potter lore to work with, there are multiple schools they could have, multiple locations, shit ton of historical figures from potter lore past and present.

potter mmo would be awesome if pulled off right
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post

A Harry Potter RPG like Elder Scrolls? Sure, why not? An MMO with raids, dungeons, group quests, PvP, monsters? No way.
    It "worked" for TES as an MMO :P We will have to wait and see what will happen. Could be very fresh in terms of gameplay and not your typical WoW Clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harry Potter universe doesn't strike me as doable MMO content. What exactly would you do to level your character? Kill spiders and attend classes?

Actually, pvp could be plausible, but it's either going to be Aurors vs Death Eaters/dark wizards/monstery things (kinda like lotros pvp: Free peoples vs monsters) or friendly 4-faction pvp between dueling students at Hogwarts :/

If they really wanna get abstract, they could have the 3 wizarding schools fight each other for some reason. Yeah no, this wouldn't be a good franchise for an mmo, but HP has a ton of potential for an expanded universe of some sort. Problem is, the title is called "Harry Potter and the...." Not "The Wizarding World" or something broad scale like that. Makes it difficult to write in without somehow including Harry himself, which severely limits creativity and expansion.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    It "worked" for TES as an MMO :P We will have to wait and see what will happen. Could be very fresh in terms of gameplay and not your typical WoW Clone.
    TESO was shit though.

This.

Not going to lie, a Harry Potter MMO is something i have been dreaming about for like 10 years now. Having a hard time seeing it come truth tough, for reasons in the quote.

Another big issue that i see with this is that its going to be needed to write new "lore" about the HP-world to fill the game with endgame-content.
    Something that i doubt JK.Rowling would allow a indie gaming-company to do.

It "worked" for TES as an MMO :P
    highly disagree.

but potter mmo could work very well, theres a shit ton of stuff waiting to be explored in that world. and with the new harry potter movie coming out soon its basically guaranteed to make money. potter fans are desperate as shit for more potter content right now
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

TES seems a lot more fleshed out as an MMO universe than Harry Potter. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm hardly an expert of Harry Potter. In fact, I'm hardly a fan. In fact, I'm hardly a member of the audience. In fact, I have no idea what I'm even talking about when it comes to Harry Potter. Why are you even listening to what I have to say??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    Actually, pvp could be plausible, but it's either going to be Aurors vs Death Eaters/dark wizards/monstery things (kinda like lotros pvp: Free peoples vs monsters) or friendly 4-faction pvp between dueling students at Hogwarts :/

If they really wanna get abstract, they could have the 3 wizarding schools fight each other for some reason. Yeah no, this wouldn't be a good franchise for an mmo, but HP has a ton of potential for an expanded universe of some sort. Problem is, the title is called "Harry Potter and the...." Not "The Wizarding World" or something broad scale like that. Makes it difficult to write in without somehow including Harry himself, which severely limits creativity and expansion.
    Well, they making a new movie that does not include harry himself. Kinda like the first step into that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Uniqed View Post
    This.

Not going to lie, a Harry Potter MMO is something i have been dreaming about for like 10 years now. Having a hard time seeing it come truth tough, for reasons in the quote.

Another big issue that i see with this is that its going to be needed to write new "lore" about the HP-world to fill the game with endgame-content.
    Something that i doubt JK.Rowling would allow a indie gaming-company to do.
    That's how I feel too. Rowling imagined up a fleshy world full of tidbits, but it is pretty tiny. Anything not in the books would be off the top of the heads of 3rd-party developers (that worked SOO well for TESO... )