Yet another post about Affliction

So, I played wow since 2004, i quit back in mop because i absolutely hated it. Now I'm back for WoD and I'm still affliction and loving it.

However, what I on the forums are alot of talk about affliction, i agree it needs to be fixed, pvp is horrible, its very lackluster in complexity and dmg output compared to other spec but what i see most are things like "theres not enough burst dmg" or the dots are weak, the dps is at the filler". Looking at the spec as a Sustained Damage over time oriented specialization, it has enough burst, i agree the dots are weak but again those contradict each other.

The damage is at the drain soul end because it adds burst, but that damage had to be taken away from the dots otherwise it was be too much, with all 3 dots on the target a full drain soul damage output and the added affect it has on the dots themselves is farely high, for a 2.4 or so cast thats is comparable to a chaosbolt. If you want most of the damage coming from the dots then the synergy between drain soul and the dots would be nerf to compensate, losing that burst.

Now granted affliction is missing spells similar to conflag and other high dps, high burst instant casts, thats one of the reasons why affliction is lacking in the burst catagory, and I think that this can be fixed by reintroducing Shadowbolt to Affliction but with a twist.

How this would work: reintroduce Shadowbolt but give it an extremely long cast time, reintroduce the soul shard generation of drain soul, instead of nightfall being the primary source of shards, let drain soul generate shard and nightfall allow an instant shadowbolt cast.

If anyone has pvp'ed in WotLC its a bit like that, dot up the target, drain life, instant cast shadowbolt when nightfall procs.

What this will do is it'll add burst to the spec allowing more damage to go back to the dots without compromising burst, it'll add complexity to the rotation by making you manage mana, shards, multi-target corruption, and casts between drain soul and shadowbolt. It will also add a potential cast while moving spell (if nightfall procs) for times that you have to move, that mixed with increased dmg to dots would help the movement issue.

Doubt it will ever happen, just putting the idea out there.

If you know there's other posts about it then why didn't you post in them instead of making another post?

edit: on topic affliction isn't supposed to be a burst spec. it's never been supposed to be one. It doesn't need to be bursty.
    Last edited by the game; 2014-12-13 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HorrorCosmic View Post
    So, I played wow since 2004, i quit back in mop because i absolutely hated it. Now I'm back for WoD and I'm still affliction and loving it.

However, what I on the forums are alot of talk about affliction, i agree it needs to be fixed, pvp is horrible, its very lackluster in complexity and dmg output compared to other spec but what i see most are things like "theres not enough burst dmg" or the dots are weak, the dps is at the filler". Looking at the spec as a Sustained Damage over time oriented specialization, it has enough burst, i agree the dots are weak but again those contradict each other.

The damage is at the drain soul end because it adds burst, but that damage had to be taken away from the dots otherwise it was be too much, with all 3 dots on the target a full drain soul damage output and the added affect it has on the dots themselves is farely high, for a 2.4 or so cast thats is comparable to a chaosbolt. If you want most of the damage coming from the dots then the synergy between drain soul and the dots would be nerf to compensate, losing that burst.

Now granted affliction is missing spells similar to conflag and other high dps, high burst instant casts, thats one of the reasons why affliction is lacking in the burst catagory, and I think that this can be fixed by reintroducing Shadowbolt to Affliction but with a twist.

How this would work: reintroduce Shadowbolt but give it an extremely long cast time, reintroduce the soul shard generation of drain soul, instead of nightfall being the primary source of shards, let drain soul generate shard and nightfall allow an instant shadowbolt cast.

If anyone has pvp'ed in WotLC its a bit like that, dot up the target, drain life, instant cast shadowbolt when nightfall procs.

What this will do is it'll add burst to the spec allowing more damage to go back to the dots without compromising burst, it'll add complexity to the rotation by making you manage mana, shards, multi-target corruption, and casts between drain soul and shadowbolt. It will also add a potential cast while moving spell (if nightfall procs) for times that you have to move, that mixed with increased dmg to dots would help the movement issue.

Doubt it will ever happen, just putting the idea out there.
    What do you dislike about the PvP? Affli is absolutely incredible right now.

Quote Originally Posted by germonik View Post
    What do you dislike about the PvP? Affli is absolutely incredible right now.
    Well, i haven't pvped since the recent buffs to affliction but i did not like the constant spell locking, on top of stuns, most of the time i just stand there locked out of spells and movement. I don't really care if drain soul is like a beacon to my location its really just the spell locking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If you know there's other posts about it then why didn't you post in them instead of making another post?

edit: on topic affliction isn't supposed to be a burst spec. it's never been supposed to be one. It doesn't need to be bursty.
    The only post getting attention about affliction is the one about people hating it, this wasn't really on the same subject. and i agree affliction is sustained damage not burst damage, this was just an idea i had on the drive home from work.

Well, i haven't pvped since the recent buffs to affliction but i did not like the constant spell locking, on top of stuns, most of the time i just stand there locked out of spells and movement. I don't really care if drain soul is like a beacon to my location its really just the spell locking.

- - - Updated - - -

The only post getting attention about affliction is the one about people hating it, this wasn't really on the same subject. and i agree affliction is sustained damage not burst damage, this was just an idea i had on the drive home from work.
    Affliction has one of the highest representations of any class/spec in the game at the moment in arena. There is almost *nothing* to complain about in regards to the pvp. We are tanky, high damage, good mobility, good escape, decent self healing.

EDIT: I should add that the only complaints that are really legitimate are just the overall nature of the game currently with melee trains being very strong and ret/feral/dk's being hard to deal with for most casters. Warlocks have a better shot in these situations than pretty much every other caster though.
    Last edited by germonik; 2014-12-13 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by germonik View Post
    Affliction has one of the highest representations of any class/spec in the game at the moment in arena. There is almost *nothing* to complain about in regards to the pvp. We are tanky, high damage, good mobility, good escape, decent self healing.

EDIT: I should add that the only complaints that are really legitimate are just the overall nature of the game currently with melee trains being very strong and ret/feral/dk's being hard to deal with for most casters. Warlocks have a better shot in these situations than pretty much every other caster though.
    hmm i'm going to have to hop back into pvp then if thats the case. i've been focusing on my warrior for pvp

Are you keeping SB:Haunt up?

Keep the buff up...always maintain at least 2 shards...if you need to SB:Portal than thats the price..

Cleave..Cleave..Cleave..

Not all healing specs will be able to handle that pressure in 3v3...Other than that abuse your fear...the button fear is bound to needs to be ABUSED!

My complain is tier 1 talents we really have but 1 choice! At max levels and higher tiers of game play 100% of the player base use the same talent..Harvest Life is NEVER used and I hate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Are you keeping SB:Haunt up?

Keep the buff up...always maintain at least 2 shards...if you need to SB:Portal than thats the price..

Cleave..Cleave..Cleave..

Not all healing specs will be able to handle that pressure in 3v3...Other than that abuse your fear...the button fear is bound to needs to be ABUSED!

My complain is tier 1 talents we really have but 1 choice! At max levels and higher tiers of game play 100% of the player base use the same talent..Harvest Life is NEVER used and I hate that!
    what do you mean by cleave?

what do you mean by cleave?
    Multi target DoT while SB:Haunt+Trinket+Dark Soul are up...you will MELT the other team..

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Multi target DoT while SB:Haunt+Trinket+Dark Soul are up...you will MELT the other team..
    Oh yea multi-dotting, never heard of it referred to cleave.

I like the idea of SB haunt but right now i perfer Sup/Serv for easier shard management.

ITT: more guys who think that 7k/2 seconds on your KILL target who has Haunt on them is "doing great" and will "melt the other team"; who think that "warlocks are fine" despite having no: escapes, utility (Fear? LOL breaks on a fucking sneeze), or tools in their toolkit other than terrible damage.