Question Ko'ragh: Can people without the barrier buff suicide-soak the orbs?

Anyone has experience on that?

Background: In our kill (normal) last night, when we went into the last normal phase. We were a little behind in dps and missed a barrier charge, so we have 6 orbs spawning with only 3 soakers. Since the boss was under 10% I called the casters (who are not assigned to soak and do not have barrier) to go soak additional orbs so we can keep the melee and tanks up to finish boss. In the last round of orbs I was standing under an orb (as a near-oom healer) and I saw some other non-soaker dps was trying to soak one too. But at the end we only took some AOE damage and nobody died.

When I checked the log I saw that there are 3 orbs detonated in the last round. This leads to the question in title because the only explanation I think of is that the soakers successfully soaked 3 orbs but all the other 3 hit the ground despite of people standing under them, and I'm not sure if that's because I failed to soak or I'm not allowed to by mechanics.

Thanks
    Last edited by hugtlang; 2014-12-15 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo

If the soaker doesn't have a shield they don't count. Still die to a 1.5 mil hit, but don't count.
    Last edited by Goshko; 2014-12-15 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    If the soaker doesn't have a shield they don't count. Still die to a 1.5 mil hit, but don't count.
    Kind of unclear what you're saying. What do you mean they "don't count?"

You can absolutely suicide catch orbs if you do not have a barrier. You will die to 1.5 million damage and prevent the explosion from hitting the raid.

Deleted
    Yes, they can.

I did exactly this on my kill last night. Boss was at 4%, and most of the raid on life support. I made the decision to Lay on Hands the other top DPS to keep him chugging, and took the 1.5 million damage grenade.

Definitely worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you jump into the ball without the shield, you die. BUT you keep the raid from taking the AoE.

Good to know that it worked for other people and I wasn't making a wrong call. I have no idea why the other dps and I didn't get the orbs while we were obviously trying. Maybe it was a glitch or we are just noobs that can't even correctly stand in bad

Thanks everyone.

Deleted
    On our guilds 1st normal kill, I took a death to an orb at about 3% to allow others to carry on dps'ing. It can be done

Yup, can work. I suicided at like 15% our first kill to keep the raid going.