Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Iraq War veteren with PTSS goes on rampage in Pennsylvania, manhunt continues

An Iraqi War veteran, who had reportedly suffered from Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome, went on a shooting spree today in Montgomery County Pennsylvania, killing his ex wife and 5 other members of her family. He's still at large.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peace to their souls and greavings to the family.

PTSD is a terrible thing and a hidden cost of sending troops to war.

Six people dead already, that's awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

PTSD is a terrible thing and a hidden cost of sending troops to war.
    They said in the article it was Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome, but I don't know much about this stuff myself. Is it different names for the same sort of thing? Or are they so similar they're essentially indistinguishable?

Or did the article just make up a Syndrome?

Deleted
    This is fucked and this is why people should not take the piss out of PTSD sufferers.

10+ Year Old Account
    His ex wife? Do we now this has anything to do with his being a veteran? I'm not saying it isn't, but do we actually know that is why? It could be a lovers quarrel is all though.

Not that PTSD isn't terrible or a cause of a lot of grief.
    You're a towel.

I hope this piece of shit is killed rather than captured so that we don't have to burn the money on a trial.

I really hope he doesn't cause any more harm. No matter how you look at it, what happened was a tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    They said in the article it was Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome, but I don't know much about this stuff myself. Is it different names for the same sort of thing? Or are they so similar they're essentially indistinguishable?

Well when you google Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome it acts as if you typed in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I think it's safe to assume they're different names for the same thing.

His ex wife? Do we now this has anything to do with his being a veteran? I'm not saying it isn't, but do we actually know that is why? It could be a lovers quarrel is all though.

Not that PTSD isn't terrible or a cause of a lot of grief.
    Apparently there was a custody dispute regarding 2 daughters the accused shooter had with the ex-wife. They're completely safe, btw.

The reason I brought up the veteran thing, is right now there's a murder who has military training on the loose and he has a history of mental illness.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Flower View Post
    Well when you google Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome it acts as if you typed in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I think it's safe to assume they're different names for the same thing.
    PTSD has had many different names over the years, so you're right to assume it's the same thing but with a different title.

On topic: I'd say there really needs to be better mental health facilities for returning vets, but as far as I know our aid for veterans is drowning in paperwork and half-assedness.

Mental health issues need to be taken more seriously. There's been far too many cuts to essential support services for people suffering from PTSD and this is one of the many possible and unfortunate consequences that can occur if left unchecked.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

Technically they are different things, PTSS is caused by a sudden event, not military specific, it could be a car accident, loss of family member, and other major shock, PTSD is caused by prolonged stress, which is also not military specific, but the media seems so fixated on the military PTSD that civilians that suffer from it are ussually diagnosed with a different word, because some people won't take it seriously if you get PTSD from a toxic workplace or something.

Functionally, due to the stigma and general lack of understanding about what these conditions are (And stories like this don't help, since it makes people associate PTSD with violence), the words are used interchangeably. Often TBI is lumped in there as well for no good reason.

I don't know if PTSD or PTSS had anything to do with it, plenty of people go off and kill their loved ones, Holidays especially.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mars; equator 16; elevated plateau 1P1, section 43, building Z1, room ru76
    Its funny i saw this on the news today - didn't know where it was at - but only now on mmo-champ i found it its in Montgomery County ....
    I LIVE IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY!
    wtffff

Apparently there was a custody dispute regarding 2 daughters the accused shooter had with the ex-wife. They're completely safe, btw.

The reason I brought up the veteran thing, is right now there's a murder who has military training on the loose and he has a history of mental illness.
    I dunno, he seems like a reasonable guy. No idea why someone would think he might not be fit to raise children.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I hope this piece of shit is killed rather than captured so that we don't have to burn the money on a trial.
    But that's not the American way!

Watched that sorry sack of shit Tom Coburn from Oklahoma block the Clay Hunt bill today to help people who show up to the VA asking for help. This is why American Democracy sucks when one person out 100 can stop a bill like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. If you have ptsd/ptss whatever you want to call it, the VA will gladly tell you you have it (means a medical discharge and less benefits), but the moment you start asking for compensation, they begin the bullshit of saying you dont have it, even when you have doctors telling them you have it. That means, the VA is complete shit, and needs to burn for what they have done.

But this, it sounds like he simply went into a rage. Lol, and he did it correctly to, in an urban area with plenty of houses. If he keeps to his training, he might actually make it out. Though, I highly doubt its anything to do with "back into it." He started with his ex wife, so while the others could have been off of that trigger, meaning those 5 are accidental deaths, the ex-wife sounds very malicious. So killing her could have been a trigger, or he just went on spree trying to get out, realizing what he did in his rage. The military isnt known for having the best "husbands" or "wives."

10+ Year Old Account
    PTSD is serious shit. More US troops are dying from suicide than fighting in wars. Great state of the world we live in, perpetual warfare and mental illness plaguing a huge percentage of the population (not just troops).
    But hey, OUR FREEDOMS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I hope your killed for the sake of never breeding.

What this guy did was wrong, but it sounds like PTSD/PTSS plus coming home after a Dear John letter, which is total shit, and any women who leaves a man fighting for his country should jump off a bridge.

Now the man should definetly spend the rest of his life locked away, but veterans who do shit because they are whacked out on shock are the only people who deserve special treatment, war is hell, and some people just aren't made for civilian life afterwards.