Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    PTSS is serious shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    Yeah, they headline the article with PTSD stuff, and yet as you read the article, the guy was in a fight with his x-wife over child support and custody.
    Considering that PTSD can cause problems with aggression and impulse control, not to mention psychosis and suicidal thoughts, I'd think the PTSD is very relevant to the story.

That's not to say someone who doesn't suffer from PTSD couldn't or wouldn't methodically kill their ex wife and 5 members of her family.

Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    Considering that PTSD can cause problems with aggression and impulse control, not to mention psychosis and suicidal thoughts, I'd think the PTSD is very relevant to the story.

That's not to say someone who doesn't suffer from PTSD couldn't or wouldn't methodically kill their ex wife and 5 members of her family.
    My point is they are headlining PTSD and the military stuff: and yet it is kind of obvious that the killings have to do with the child support and custody battle ( i am not saying PTSD played no role, just that it clearly isnt the most important factor)

My point is they are headlining PTSD and the military stuff: and yet it is kind of obvious that the killings have to do with the child support and custody battle ( i am not saying PTSD played no role, just that it clearly isnt the most important factor)
    It could be the most important factor. A lot of people go through bitter custody disputes that don't end with 6 people dead. But once you consider the accused shooter had a preexisting medical condition that is known to cause psychosis, things start making more sense.

And the military part is still relevant because a murderer on the loose with combat training is scarier than a murderer on the loose without combat training.

Is there a particular reason why some people on this thread feel that the military background/ptsd isn't relevant to the story?

It could be the most important factor. A lot of people go through bitter custody disputes that don't end with 6 people dead. But once you consider the accused shooter had a preexisting medical condition that is known to cause psychosis, things start making more sense.

And the military part is still relevant because a murderer on the loose with combat training is scarier than a murderer on the loose without combat training.

Is there a particular reason why some people on this thread feel that the military background/ptsd isn't relevant to the story?
    Because there are people who have done this type of stuff over custody battles, who were never in the military.

Because there are people who have done this type of stuff over custody battles, who were never in the military.
    That doesn't answer my question. Why do you feel the need to downplay his military background and his ptsd in this particular story?

That doesn't answer my question. Why do you feel the need to downplay his military background and his ptsd in this particular story?
    Because the custody battle stuff most likely played a much larger role in this, and it is being downplayed in favor of PTSD

Because the custody battle stuff most likely played a much larger role in this, and it is being downplayed in favor of PTSD
    How do you know this? Lots of people go through custody disputes and they don't turn into murder sprees.

In fact, that's so rare, when it happens you have to ask yourself

"Is there anything else at play here that might have caused the accused shooter to murder 6 people?"

"Oh, he had a mental illness linked to aggression, depression and psychosis? That's probably important."

How do you know this? Lots of people go through custody disputes and they don't turn into murder sprees.

In fact, that's so rare, when it happens you have to ask yourself

"Is there anything else at play here that might have caused the accused shooter to murder 6 people?"

"Oh, he had a mental illness linked to aggression, depression and psychosis? That's probably important."
    that should be part of the story, not the headline.

that should be part of the story, not the headline.
    When there is an accused murderer on the loose with combat training and a mental illness, the combat training and mental illness need to be mentioned as quickly as possible.

Ideally, mentioning the military background and history of mental illness could help support the dire need for better healthcare for our veterans.

There is no evidence that this is the result of PTSD. For all we know he could have been drunk, high as a kite or really fucking angry at his ex-wife and family over custody battle.

This is front page news because the media found something in his background that they could sell.
    Military Vet, ca-ching!!
    Dishonorable Discharge, ca-ching!!
    PTSD, ca-ching!!
    White Family, ca-ching!!
    Roll video of helicopter footage in loop for 24 hours. Profit

Its a ratings bonanza!!

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    There is no evidence that this is the result of PTSD. For all we know he could have been drunk, high as a kite or really fucking angry at his ex-wife and family over custody battle.

This is front page news because the media found something in his background that they could sell.
    Military Vet, ca-ching!!
    Dishonorable Discharge, ca-ching!!
    PTSD, ca-ching!!
    White Family, ca-ching!!
    Roll video of helicopter footage in loop for 24 hours. Profit

Its a ratings bonanza!!

Your world weariness belies a coherent point. Cynicism fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, they found the body of the accused shooter in the woods with what appears to be a self inflicted gunshot wound.