Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    That's feels like it should make a difference, but it doesn't actually offer any additional damage. The sim has lines using Blood Tap to maximize Soul Reaper uptime and it simply does not matter. You comment those action lines out and the numbers don't change.

The posts talking about burst are technically true, but you can only hold Blood Charges for ~4s before you cap them, and it's only 2 runes. I find that argument unconvincing for PvE DPS.

For most PvE DPS DKs, in most situations, if you choose Blood Tap you should macro it into your runic power spender.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-12-17 at 11:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    For most PvE DPS DKs, in most situations, if you choose Blood Tap you should macro it into your runic power spender.
    That is a very unoptimal solution, as it destroys any value to Blood Tap. Either go with RE or control tapping for optimal results.

Quote Originally Posted by Vezu View Post
    That is a very unoptimal solution, as it destroys any value to Blood Tap. Either go with RE or control tapping for optimal results.
    You are wrong.

You are wrong.
    Yeah he is. I wanted to chime in here. I am also always trying to MIN/MAX and get any advantage there is. People advocating the manual Blood Tap use make it sound like those 2 rune charges you can store for "AOE burst" will make your DPS skyrocket into oblivion and that the control you will gain for Trinket Proccs is so big that manual blood tap is the only true way to play.

I do not think so. Yes this is subjective but like Schizoide also said, it has been tested in the Sims and it does not make any real world difference if you macro it into your Death Coil or do it manually. And that is under perfect play scenarios.

I am consistently ranking in the 95-98 percentile and I use Blood Tap macroed into DC. Hell, when mechanics are flying left and right, you need to watch your feet and try to maximize uptime and follow your perfect rotation, manual blood tap adds just another layer where you have the possibility to mess up. And then manual BT is going to be a loss real fast against the best case scenario that it would be DPS neutral.

When you need to deal with a shit-ton mechanics even the best people make mistakes with their rotation. Personally I don't want to add another possible rotational requirement that I may mess up, when stuff does not go as planned.

I'm fine with adding complexity to the playstyle, but the tradeoff has to make sense, it needs to offer enough performance to be worthwhile. Plague Leech is an excellent example of that. PL is worth the effort. Manual BT isn't.

Everybody needs to make that decision for themselves, of course. If you want to manually BT yourself, go for it. But don't call people who macro it baddies. That's simply not true.

Deleted
    Just macroing a Blood Tap means you get nothing more than 88% of a rune for ~66 runic power, as described in earlier posts, while RE gives 100%. It is a Death Rune, yes, but still....

Yes, but it turns out that that doesn't actually matter.

Has simcraft ever been inaccurate before? Have there never been bugs with the modelling? Is each spec profile developed by a team of programers at a software company? Is each profile peer reviewed for accuracy? Have multiple experts written individual profiles with comparative analysis between them? Did the DK profile not recently have inaccuracies with regard to FC and soul reaper?

Seems to me a lot of people accept simcraft output without ever questioning the input. If a program says 2+2=5, do you accept that or do you wonder what went wrong in the programming and figure out the bug? Consequently, if basic computations say that RE gives 100% of rune and BT gives 88%, but simcraft says the DPS difference between the two is insignificant, don't you find that suspect?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but it turns out that that doesn't actually matter.
    You don't find it questionable that 12% more runes over the course of an encounter doesn't equate (according to simcraft) to more damage done? I might not be concerned with such result if we were resource capped as much as we were in 5.4, but now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulvye View Post
    You don't find it questionable that 12% more runes over the course of an encounter doesn't equate (according to simcraft) to more damage done? I might not be concerned with such result if we were resource capped as much as we were in 5.4, but now?
    No, it's not suspect. It makes perfect sense. The rune regen talent tier is much less powerful than you think.

For example, for 2H frost Blood Tap generates an average of 29.25 runes per 300s iteration, 0.0975 runes per second. It's a bit above Plague Leech at 0.0733 runes per second. But normal rune regen generates 118 runes per 300s iteration, 0.393 runes per second.

Total rune generation is 0.0975 (Blood Tap) + 0.0733 (Plague Leech) + 0.393 (normal regen) = 0.5638 runes per second

Blood tap is worth 0.0975 / 0.5638 = 17% of total rune generation
    Plague Leech is worth 0.0733 / 0.5638 = 13% of total rune generation
    Normal rune regen is worth 0.393 / 0.5638 = 67.7% of total rune generation

So lets say your rune regen talent was 12% more effective. Wow, a whole 12%, right! Well yeah, but it's 12% of 17%. This means you generate 2.0% more runes over time. And that's easily hidden in the noise. It doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2014-12-18 at 06:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question, is BT on the GCD?

If so, then I'll just stick to RC. If not, if you can use it and then immediately use an ability, then I'll give it a try.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    BT is off the GCD.
    AYYYYYYYYY!

I'll give it a try when I get home.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

So when we macro it... unholy macro with DC and frost with Frost strike or OB? Ty!

With DC/Frost Strike. Those abilities generate Blood Tap charges, so you immediately spend them with the same button.

It doesn't really matter for 2H frost since you Obliterate all the time anyway but DW frost can go mastersimple and remove Obliterate from the bars.

With DC/Frost Strike. Those abilities generate Blood Tap charges, so you immediately spend them with the same button.

It doesn't really matter for 2H frost since you Obliterate all the time anyway but DW frost can go mastersimple and remove Obliterate from the bars.
    Ty Schizoide!

Gonna give a try to frost again, lets see how it goes My sims tell me unholy 27.1k and frost 28.4k, with same items. So lets see what happesn :P