Odd problem upon startup.

So on my computer with Windows 8.1, whenever I start up the computer and it gets past the initial boot screen, it should go into the login screen. However, for whatever reason, instead of doing that, it goes to a blue screen (not a BSoD) with black borders around it.

Fancy Paint skills.

This is what the screen looks like. No words or anything. Doesn't load into the login screen and I have to restart the computer until it doesn't do this.

check hardware first.

unistall your graphics card plug your video into your motherboard spot. unistall your memory and use one module to boot up and repeat for each module. see if you can get past this.

unistall reinstall your cables and sata cables to reseat all your connections. try to boot up.

Id suspect your hard drive at this point. data corruption or hard drive failure.

You can try installing your hrad drive into a secondary bay in a second computer and run a virus scan. see if it shows up and if you can see your data. may be your boot sector is corrupt. If you find viruses and let it clean then you can retry booting it up.

crystaldiskinfo on the second computer can test your hard drive to see if its good or bad(caution in yellow) or Hard Disk Sentinel trial.

last resort is pulling your data off then reinstalling windows. if you have a second disk laying around thats not used or needed then using that to reinstall windos and see if that cures the problem....

windows 8 should have a factory troublshooting option in your BIOS....

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    How many monitors do you have plugged in? Have you tried only keeping your single main monitor plugged in?
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    How many monitors do you have plugged in? Have you tried only keeping your single main monitor plugged in?
    Just one. /10char

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Just one. /10char
    Would just try reinstalling Windows first and seeing if that helps.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did it just start doing this, or has it always done it?

If it just started, try doing a system restore to a date before it started happening.

Have you changed any hardware, or added any new programs?

Would just try reinstalling Windows first and seeing if that helps.
    Ok, so I re installed Windows. It seems to have worked, although it goes straight to Windows and doesn't show the initial boot up screen where I could hit the various F1-12 keys for whatever it said.

Now my only issues is that the font for things is fuzzy. My drivers are up to date (first thing I checked/did).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so I re installed Windows. It seems to have worked, although it goes straight to Windows and doesn't show the initial boot up screen where I could hit the various F1-12 keys for whatever it said.

Now my only issues is that the font for things is fuzzy. My drivers are up to date (first thing I checked/did).
    Did you set your resolution correctly? What are the models for your monitor(s)? Resolution set in windows?

What GPU are you using? Driver version?

Initial boot up screen? You mean where the mobo manufacturer's logo pops up allowing you to enter BIOS or is it something Windows related? Unless it's specifically set in BIOS to skip certain things, the PC should typically boot up to the manufacturers logo, and then POST, and then show the Windows logo, followed by Windows log in screen (unless you disabled it). Anything that would be different is typically set by the user.

Did you set your resolution correctly? What are the models for your monitor(s)? Resolution set in windows?

What GPU are you using? Driver version?

Initial boot up screen? You mean where the mobo manufacturer's logo pops up allowing you to enter BIOS or is it something Windows related? Unless it's specifically set in BIOS to skip certain things, the PC should typically boot up to the manufacturers logo, and then POST, and then show the Windows logo, followed by Windows log in screen (unless you disabled it). Anything that would be different is typically set by the user.
    Yes, the resolution is correct.

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series : 14.501.1003.0

Disregard the mobo screen thing. It's there.
    Last edited by Ausr; 2014-12-19 at 03:24 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the resolution is correct.

AMD Radeon R9 200 Series : 14.501.1003.0

Disregard the mobo screen thing. It's there.
    What resolution are you using? Again, Model of your monitor? Connection used to display the monitor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc)?

BIOS settings have nothing to do with the windows log in. Something could have been set in the BIOS itself. You've got me curious now, is this something you just purchased and it's been this way or was everything working and it just started happening recently? You build it or buy new from a store or was it a used purchase? This could make a difference in what steps you should take. I'm assuming either a new prebuilt purchase or used since you didn't give me the actual GPU you have and only what Windows presents you (if this is the case I highly recommend you start learning whats in the stuff you buy as it's the fast track to getting ripped off if you don't).

Also, were the drivers from Windows or did you go straight to AMD to download them?

Might help to take a new screenshot of what you're seeing as blurry and posting a link here. (Just print screen and then paste to imgur)
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-12-19 at 03:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Suggestion: when you have your system all updated and running the way you like it, make an image of it.

I use Macrium Reflect (Free version) for this. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It allows you to make a complete image of your system, while it is running. You can also make bootable rescue/recovery media (USB drive, CD/DVD) that allows you to recover an image.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try this
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/cor...-and-amd-gpus/

do you know what happened? virus? hard drive failing? or bad memory corrupting the boot sector? or a bad hard boot during a windows download while it was applying it? If its hardware related it will eventually cause issues again.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The first AMD solution made things clear. Now everything is much larger, haha.