Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

English Accents (and mostly the southern ones) are a fucking pain - Concerning TV

I notice a new show about a character who is immortal he has lived 200 years and he is English. I am rather sick and tired of all the damn English accents in American TV shows and it's not as though there is variety in these accents. I don't hear any Huddersfield accents (my personal favorite as far as England is concerned) I rarely hear Scottish or Irish and if it's a main character tough shit they're going to be English.

Shows about Rome, all English, shows about Ottomans, English, shows about the French, English. Like come the fuck on, can we get some variety?! I remember hearing a main character who was Scottish once and I was thought, Yes!! Something not English.

I grew up in England and here it's not exotic. There also tends to be a streotypical character when it comes to English playing English.

Anyway what do you think about this? I am rather tired of it, I want Italian sounding Italians, French sounding French, not everyone sounding like they're from fucking England.

Agreed. We need some variety. I hate the English accent, it's garbage.

Deleted
    agree, I fucking hate English accents on american tv, like really, did they think it would seem more realistic if all the romans talked like british people in Spartacus for example? have them talk with a latin accent (they would probably sound like someone with a spanish accent..?) if you want your show to have some authenticity

now.. the scottish accent is very awesome on the other hand
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-12-17 at 03:35 AM.

Deleted
    All other accents are inferior. LDN represent.

If it isn't done just right, it can easily be accused of being ignorant and offensive, even though it's really just a case of bad acting.

And a lot of Americans can't properly identify accents. I still remember people complaining about how Dr. Chase on House has the worst British accent they've ever heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    If it isn't done just right, it can easily be accused of being ignorant and offensive, even though it's really just a case of bad acting.

And a lot of Americans can't properly identify accents. I still remember people complaining about how Dr. Chase on House has the worst British accent they've ever heard.
    like wtf, that was so clearly Australian...

although hearing an actor go from Americna accent for 8 years back to his native British was pretty jarring (Laurie).

It's not about the accent being done bad, it's about the accent being their for the entire Italian populace or French populace to begin with.

We need more Cockney, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reality is that in these shows they wouldn't be speaking English in the first place, so the accent shouldn't really matter. The English accent works well because it needs to sound foreign, which the English accent does with the primary audience being America, and you need actors of that accent that are good, which England has in plenty.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's not about the accent being done bad, it's about the accent being their for the entire Italian populace or French populace to begin with.
    It probably comes down to cutting corners, being cheap. If they really tried, they could probably find a cast of people who look the part enough with the help of makeup, can act, and understand the difference between having an Italian accent and doing their best Mario impression. But that talent just isn't as common, which means it would take more time to find people and possibly more money to hire them.

Deleted
    British accents>American Accents. Hands down a winner.

If you really want it authentic then shows with Romans wouldnt have english accents, they wouldnt have the english language at all. All these shows would be 100% subtitled. Do we really want that? I sure dont

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    British accents>American Accents. Hands down a winner.
    And that has absolutely nothing to do with his post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    If you really want it authentic then shows with Romans wouldnt have english accents, they wouldnt have the english language at all. All these shows would be 100% subtitled. Do we really want that? I sure dont

- - - Updated - - -

And that has absolutely nothing to do with his post
    And he's clearly the only person posting in this thread. Right?

10+ Year Old Account
    And you honestly think American accents are any better?
    Okayyyy then....
    The West Virginian (if it's the right one I'm thinking for of) is the worst accent I've ever heard. It's painful to my ear drums.

It's all a matter of opinion.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    like wtf, that was so clearly Australian...

although hearing an actor go from Americna accent for 8 years back to his native British was pretty jarring (Laurie).
    I used to know someone who seriously thought Sebastian from The Little Mermaid had a British accent.

I think for some Americans, there are only two accents. American, and that accent Americans had before they were Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    And you honestly think American accents are any better?
    Okayyyy then....
    The West Virginian (if it's the right one I'm thinking for of) is the worst accent I've ever heard. It's painful to my ear drums.

Its all about the Bahstahn Accent. Noo Yawk is cool too.

I don't really like the southern drawl though. eeew.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how we havent gotten to page two and we already have people coming in here, not reading the OP, and nation bashing America.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post

You might be thinking of the Pittsburgh accent, which a lot of West Virginians and some Ohioans have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    agree, I fucking hate English accents on american tv, like really, did they think it would seem more realistic if all the romans talked like british people in Spartacus for example? have them talk with a latin accent (they would probably sound like someone with a spanish accent..?) if you want your show to have some authenticity

now.. the scottish accent is very awesome on the other hand
    Latin has an accent all its own.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

You might be thinking of the Pittsburgh accent, which a lot of West Virginians and some Ohioans have too.
    What dew yinz have against Pittsburgh!? (just kidding... I hate that too, and I happen to live an hour and a half away).